La Scarlas

Testing of aged LaScalas.  my LaScalas have travelled with me to various places where I moved to over 46 years. Simply the best that's the truth. There is a distortion happening can I remove the electronic components for testing at an approved Klipsch agent rather than hauling the boxes 

Thanks 

Brendan

Adelaide 

Australia 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Welcome to the Forum. 46 years, that’s quite a history.

I think the knowledgeable folks here can help you isolate the source of the distortion from home so that all you need to do is arrange for those parts.

I believe the first thing that will be suggested by @Deang and others is to make sure all of the connections are tight and secure. Then they will have you make sure that the distortion is from the speaker and not an amp by having you switch the speaker wires from left to right and right to left.

From there they will help you identify which driver(s) are the culprit, and from there whether there are replacement parts available (diaphragms) or if a complete driver/woofer replacement is required.

We have several forum members down under who may be able to help with a knowledgeable dealer or the distributor down there when/if it comes to that.

Photos of the backs of your speakers will also help, along with photos of the crossovers and connect strips with screws.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Oldfan71 said:

can I remove the electronic components for testing at an approved Klipsch agent rather than hauling the boxes 

you can test all the drivers with an Ohmmeter , woofers are 4 Ohms , Tweeters are 8 Ohms , Midrange drivers are 16 Ohms , if the drivers are in good shape , the  readings on both speakers should be pretty  close  ,however  a  lower  reading would indicate a problem with a component .  

your speakers are 46 years old ,   replacing  the capacitors would be  a good idea ,  

• 2 weeks later...