La Scala’s Stereophile April 2023 review

Ponch0069

59 minutes ago, carewser said:

You used a lot of ethereal terms there I don't really understand but i've heard people use similar language in describing the sound of LP's which is another thing i'll never understand as it's flawed 128 year old technology that I moved beyond a long time ago

Were I to purchase any of the Heritage Line from Klipsch i'm pretty sure i'd go with the Cornwall's as i'm something of a bass and spec hound and they're cheaper and smaller than the LaScala's yet for some reason produce much deeper bass (34hz compared to 51hz)

Reading a spec sheet for the frequency response and thinking you know what a speaker is going to sound like is monumentally ignorant.  Frequency response is only one of many factors that influence the sound of a speaker.  It may not even be the dominant one.  Things like sensitivity, directivity, dynamic range, phase response, intermodulation (IM) and harmonic distortion, driver crossover/integration and more play a big role as well.  Also, saying you wouldn't even listen to the La Scala if given the chance shows how closed-minded you are.

Yes, the La Scala is somewhat of a compromise, a speaker of tradeoffs.  The reason the La Scala response starts to drop off after about 50 Hz is that it has horn-loaded bass.  The low frequency cutoff of a horn is related to the size of the horn.  The La Scala is about as small as you can practically make a speaker with horn-loaded bass with a somewhat reasonable cutoff.  However, what you gain with horn-loaded bass is vastly higher bass sensitivity and hence much higher dynamic range and much lower distortion.  The IM distortion can be orders of magnitude lower than that of bass reflex or acoustic suspension speakers.  You also get better controlled directivity down to the Schroeder frequency where room modes take over.  That high dynamic range and low distortion is the "energy" that @KT88 was trying to describe.  It hard to describe to someone if you've never heard a speaker with horn-loaded bass.  Maybe try listening to them before forming an opinion.

Like any other speaker, the La Scala is not something everyone will like.  However, it's not a "flaw" that its bass cuts off where it does.  It was a conscious design compromise to have horn-loaded bass in that cabinet size.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Everyone has their own ideas about how  a speaker should  perform , and what attributes are important to them . Some people  enjoy near field listening for example .This can be accomplished  effectively with small, high quality,  comparatively ordinary  speakers . Nothing is wrong with this , but what I want ,and what many others on the site are looking for, is a big powerful spacious sound . The type of sound that effectively reproduces the experience of sitting in on a big live performance , this is what I expect  from my home sound system, but  it’s not easy to find , as most high end speakers are actually incapable of playing at live levels cleanly and at ease in a decent sized room . Surprisingly , many are satisfied with this important lack of ability , and probably assume that such a capability just isn’t realistic to achieve in a home setting. But it is possible , it just requires the correct speakers , high quality powerful speakers , capable of extreme output and low distortion ,like the big powerful Klipsch Lascala . No rinky dink speakers for me.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, carewser said:

You used a lot of ethereal terms there I don't really understand but i've heard people use similar language in describing the sound of LP's which is another thing i'll never understand as it's flawed 128 year old technology that I moved beyond a long time ago

Were I to purchase any of the Heritage Line from Klipsch i'm pretty sure i'd go with the Cornwall's as i'm something of a bass and spec hound and they're cheaper and smaller than the LaScala's yet for some reason produce much deeper bass (34hz compared to 51hz)

I will go out on a limb and say you’ve never heard a good vinyl rig, just as you’ve never heard lascalas. Makes perfect sense.

• Like 3

I must apologize for skipping a fair number of responses, but there is quite a difference in how wave fronts of sound reaches you from a large, folded horn vs. a dinky transmission line speaker or studio monitor. A good TL design can go pretty darned deep with just a 6" woofer, lower than 35Hz often, and sound absolutely wonderful. But will it slap you upside the head and shake the crap out of your gut? No. Even at the same apparent volume.

Think of sound coming out of that large, folded horn with a straight wave front coming out to you, each pressure wave hitting you all at once. Then think of the dinky speaker, wave fronts coming at you in a curve, dispersed over more time (stone in a small pond). Both waves have the same frequency, but one does a much better job at coupling that sound to objects (you). The simultaneous arrival should paint better imaging, especially at lower frequencies. Evidence is in when you give these a listen and feel the audio and the imaging is incredible.

I always wanted a pair of these, and I would definitely throw a good sub in the mix as I am a bit of a bass head. However, my unwillingness to spend big money on speakers gets in the way. Maybe if I trip over a good set for cheap, I will pull the trigger. A nice pair went on sale near me for $1500, and I was too slow. For now, I will stay with the Forte IIs which are pretty darned good. Better than anything else I have had to date.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, carewser said:

It's funny how at first you accuse me of being closed-minded then further on try to convince me to listen to pair of LaScala's but like I said, i'm not interested and I already explained that I lack the money space and inclination for such speakers.

I'm also aware that speakers with the exact same frequency response can sound quite different from each other, I just really like deep bass and am not willing to forgo that especially on speakers as big and expensive as the LaScala's

If you are going to criticize a speaker, the least you can do is listen to it first.  Otherwise, you are just talking out of your behind.  Are you so incurious that you won't listen to a speaker unless you plan on purchasing it?  Perhaps you might learn the appeal it has for other people if you bothered.  But no, you apparently learn all you need to know from spec sheets.  Also, how does me suggesting you listen to something before spouting an opinion make me closed-minded?  

Eh, We all like what we like and this may change, evolve over time.

All the Heritage speakers are of a certain standard, one can not really go wrong with any model any vintage.

But working one's way through the line, one realizes the compromises. 

Agree current La Scala is very large, heavy, and expensive, Cornwall may better place to start and does have deeper bass.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Racer X said:

Agree current La Scala is very large, heavy, and expensive, Cornwall may better place to start and does have deeper bass.

I agree and if I were extremely wealthy I would probably consider the Jubilees as they're the first Heritage Series that offers really deep bass although they can only produce 125db 🤪

Edited by carewser

2 hours ago, carewser said:

I agree and if I were extremely wealthy I would probably consider the Jubilees as they're the first Heritage Series that offers really deep bass although they can only produce 125db 🤪

Then there is no need for further discussion. For you, the frequency response is more important than the quality of the sound. Now you have to decide what compromise to choose with everything that is smaller and cheaper than the Heritage Jubilee.

This discussion was discussed back in the 70's when I first got involved with audio reproduction. Dynamics and low distortion was the K-horn and LaScala high points, not frequency response. If memory is still correct the frequency response of the K-horn of the 70's was something like 35hz -18K + - 5db which is not great for someone only listening to numbers. A 10db swing is a lot but PWK sold everyone he ever made period. For a good reason. One has to experience the sound to fully understand that frequency response is not the main selling point of the Heritage line. Carewser puts a lot of emphasis on the bass response, particularly the very low notes so perhaps the Heritage line is not for him and let's us members respect his concern. That being said no bass sounds like a horn loaded bass even if one has to buy a sub for those really low numbers. 

Listen young guys, speaker specifications only tell part of the story. Specs for a designer is only a tool and not the final answer on how the speaker, amplifier will sound. Do not let published specs fool you into buying an inferior speaker. I was once a number guy myself buying a pair of AR-3a's because of their excellent numbers. I was young and wanted to rock and that speaker was not a rock speaker. No dynamics, polite speaker. Lot's sold and many happy purchasers but not me. 

Your ears are the best tool you have and unfortunately there are very few places these days where one can listen to high end speakers before purchasing as in yesterday. Music lives in the mids and not the lows or highs as PWK is noted for saying and I am a believer. If the vocals and mids are not excellent one will never be satisfied no matter how great a bass it makes. True audiophiles that is. 

Carewser is firm on what he wants from a speaker so lets just move on and welcome him and his opinions on the forum even if we know, think we know better from experience. 

I want quick sharp bass attacks, lovely vocals from a big mid horn and sparkling highs and my LaScala's deliver. Expensive, for me, in '86 but all in all a really good investment in sound. Worth lots more than what I paid back then. How many other speakers brands can say that. Consider, if young, a K-horn or LaScala as a long term investment much as blue chip stock. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, henry4841 said:

Your ears are the best tool you have and unfortunately there are very few places these days where one can listen to high end speakers before purchasing as in yesterday. Music lives in the mids and not the lows or highs as PWK is noted for saying and I am a believer. If the vocals and mids are not excellent one will never be satisfied no matter how great a bass it makes. True audiophiles that is. 

Carewser is firm on what he wants from a speaker so lets just move on and welcome him and his opinions on the forum even if we know, think we know better from experience. 

I want quick sharp bass attacks, lovely vocals from a big mid horn and sparkling highs and my LaScala's deliver. Expensive, for me, in '86 but all in all a really good investment in sound. Worth lots more than what I paid back then. How many other speakers brands can say that. Consider, if young, a K-horn or LaScala as a long term investment much as blue chip stock. 

Paul Klipsch was right that almost all music is in the mids but that doesn't mean I like speakers with really pronounced mids, in fact I prefer speakers with recessed mids and emphatic highs and lows which is why back when I owned equalizers I used to keep them in a U shape so I guess i'm not a "true" audiophile even though sound quality is important to me. One of the things I liked about Paul was his intolerance of bullshit. Apparently he used to have a button that said "bullshit" on it and he would flash that to anyone that tried to peddle some BS although at the same time, as long as he could convince people that mids were where the music was, he could justify speakers like the LaScala costing what they did while not producing any deep bass. Sadly now that Paul's gone the truth isn't emphasized like it used to be with the company

I just checked the prices for LaScala's and used ones were all much cheaper than news ones so i'm not sure where you got the idea they appreciate

1 hour ago, carewser said:

I just checked the prices for LaScala's and used ones were all much cheaper than news ones so i'm not sure where you got the idea they appreciate

Paid $1500 for mine new in '86. Prices for '86 LaScala's are much more than that now. You must have misunderstood. 

You have a lot of comments on speakers you have admittedly never heard. If I had PWK's badge I would flash it at you being you do not know when to take a hint and just move on. I doubt anyone wants to hear more on what you have to say about LaScala's.  Sorry if you are offended but enough is enough. Dig into specs and see if you can find a pair of speakers that suit you, on paper that is. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=klipsch+Lascala+&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=klipsch+la+scala+speakers&_osacat=0

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I believe the prices for used Heritage (including Forte, Chorus, etc.) started climbing after maybe 2010 or so, after Klipsch started updating different models. They certainly started getting better press.

2 hours ago, carewser said:

I clearly misunderstood you so yes i'd be very surprised if you only got $1500 for your LaScala's today, i'm sure they're worth much more

Yup, I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things not just speakers and opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they usually stink although I have no idea why you're suggesting that i'm trying to bullshit anyone because that's the last thing i'm doing

Life is good. Love my LaScala's. 😃

• Like 1

6 hours ago, carewser said:

in fact I prefer speakers with recessed mids and emphatic highs and lows which is why back when I owned equalizers I used to keep them in a U shape so I guess i'm not a "true" audiophile even though sound quality is important to me.

I used the autoformer on the crossover on my LaScalas to bring the mids down a few db. The when I cranked the volume a little bit, there was enough bass for me without earbleed  mids. (those mids have been called 'a buzz saw to the forehead"

Sounded great a low volume late night listening as well as loud enough to hear over the vacuum cleaner.

There are different opinions on Lascala .Mine are all positive right down to the squawker horn , I don’t see the midrange  as being harsh  at all .To me Lascala plays as tame  as a kitten at low to mid volume  with their characteristic  forward style , but as the volume moves  up , that  tame little kitty vanishes and  a lion is on the loose ,  shock and  awe  takes over ,and  everything  else seems so lame in comparison . These gems  fit my taste perfectly ,and  the uniqueness of these speakers is off the charts 🤓

• Like 5

8 hours ago, carewser said:

Man your LaScala's must be pretty heavy duty if they're louder than a vacuum cleaner 🤪

Hey listen, i'm glad you guys are happy with your LaScala's I just don't think I would be happy with them given my love of deep bass but that doesn't mean they're not great speakers, I just don't think they're for me, not that I could afford them anyway

24 posts in a single thread about a speaker you never want to listen to in person anyway? I'm very amused by this.
Feel free to continue, maybe one can say that you are a kind of "curious troll"? I don't think it's wrong that you "keep the thread going", because there are always good contributions from the group for the group regarding the LaScala.

• Like 2