Something new versus something old advice?

dan.derby

I had a lovely pair of Forte 1s that I sold because they were too big for my room and my back. I miss them.  They were modified with Crites components, they replaced a set of KG-4s that were similarly upgraded.  I originally got on the Klipsch train because I wanted to try SET amplification.  Now I have a Decware SE84UFO which I love. 

So, is there anything you wizards would recommend in the current Reference line that could give me a taste of the Fortes without the Heritage tonnage?  Don't want to start a religious war over original vs new. However, some of you guys really know the Klipsch product lines and there's not many places up here (NH) to go listen.

Thank in advance! Dan

P.S. I do have a pair of rescued RP-600Ms, unmodified, but they are kinda anemic compared to the Fortes and not all that efficient. 

Not to be an ***, but if 70 lb speakers are too much to handle you might be more  inclined to needlepoint. But seriously, once you get them in the room it’s a matter of walking them around or put them on sliders. Easily manageable. I guess I don’t understand the issue.

If it really is an issue, the Heresy is probably your only option.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I solved my Forte upgrade issue by getting Cornwall's.  Very easy to move around and I had them delivered.  No sweat. 

What flattens my spine are the 100lb amps...

I was on a tube thing as well.  Would love to try SET and also  I do see a few DecWares out there.  Cool thing is the Heritage line can run on anything....

• Like 2

Two different animals.  I'd say Heresy IVs, no need to "upgrade", and small enough to maneuver. 

If you really desire low end do to music preference and room size, you can add a table tuba in either form factor for great low end response.  Or check out the new reference subs from Klipsch. 

• Like 1

I put my LaScalas on 4 inch wheels

Puts the mid at ear level

Easy to roll them out to work on them

And as a bonus I can dust behind them more often then once a decade.

heritage line, accept no others .......

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Dude said:

Two different animals.  I'd say Heresy IVs, no need to "upgrade", and small enough to maneuver. 

If you really desire low end do to music preference and room size, you can add a table tuba in either form factor for great low end response.  Or check out the new reference subs from Klipsch. 

I think this it the best solution, and I respect your weight concerns.

You don't mention what your budget is or if you're willing to buy from the used market. I'll assume since you once owned Forte 1s that you can perhaps afford a similar cost speaker?

If you want a sound similar to the Fortes you're going to have to get a 3-way Klipsch speaker. You won't be disappointed with a 2-way Klipsch speaker but there will be a different speaker voicing.

If cost is not necessarily a constraint, get the Heresy IVs The Dude suggests and pair them with a Klipsch subwoofer.

Otherwise, get any of the Reference Premier or Reference speakers that meet your size and weight limitations. Of course, go as large as you can so the speakers can play lower.

• Like 1

I've had a pair of Forte I's since 1988; every time I've gone out listening to newer stuff, it has made me love and appreciate the Fortes more.  The only exception was a pair of 60th Anniversary Klipschorns I heard years ago, which were the most live-sounding experience I've had in an audio showroom.
Since expanding to include surround, I've had the bug on occasion to obtain a center channel with more impact than my Academy, which matches the timbre of the Fortes better than any other center-specific speaker I've tried.  My foray into listening the Reference line has always ended with disappointment - the immediacy of the sound from the Forte is lacking in the RF7, at least in the audio rooms I've auditioned them.  Martin-Logans have come close, but not quite with the same impact.
I recently moved the Fortes to Front Wide duty after obtaining a pair of Chorus IIs - those would definitely be more speaker than the OP is prepared to handle.  The soundstage, however... enormous, and my 17'x17' cathedral-ceiling living room with open corners into other rooms and a hallway is almost too small to open them up for all that they are capable.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2023 at 5:58 PM, OO1 said:

Any Heresy  for sure ,  you can also look at the KP-250 ,  KP-2500-C ,  48-49 lbs ,  same tweeter and midrange  than a Forte 1 .

Thanks! I'll see if I can find a dealer and check them out. 

Thanks everyone for the discussion. Sounds like I'll need to put some miles in to listen to the newer lines.  

Just to explain why I'm interested in size....

I basically have three systems and swap speakers/amps/etc. to chase the impact of different combinations and tune the room. It's one of my things, the experimenting side  of this hobby. Hence my interest in mobility.  BTW, I've thought about Klipsch "pro" boxes but not for now. 

The non-Klipsch gear I have is pretty light - small Maggies, Thiels, SVS subs &, of course, the RP600Ms. Except for my big Bryston amp, everything is very mobile...well except for my vinyl collection but they can move one at a time.  :8)  BTW, I do have a pair of upgraded BG4s that are on casters (for sale soon) but their sound is quite up to Forte boldness.

So I'm both tuning the room and chasing the noise I l9ke. Until I have time to find and visit a dealer (recommendations anyone?) in the NH coastal area, I plan to double down on tuning the room and perhaps the RP600s digitally. Just got a miniSDP SHD with Dirac SW and it did calm their famous 2k peak.  Maybe tuning them in conjunction with the subs will add some sauce to the soup. Thanks again all.

Dan

4 hours ago, dan.derby said:

Thanks! I'll see if I can find a dealer and check them out. 

you wont find the KP-250 or KP-2500-C at a dealer , these  are an older Pro series  Heresy with the same drivers as the forte + a bigger magnet woofer , 250wpc rating , a forum member has a pair for sale in mint shape ,    weight is  49 lbs  , the Heresy IV has a 100 wpc rating 

Posted December 19, 2022 (edited)

On 3/14/2023 at 10:56 AM, dan.derby said:

P.S. I do have a pair of rescued RP-600Ms, unmodified, but they are kinda anemic compared to the Fortes and not all that efficient. 

I was going to suggest RP 600M's based on Steve Guttenberg. 

I swap speakers around and Fortes are almost the smallest that I have (L100s are smaller). 

I use a dolly for the bigger speakers, will that work?