Heresy IVs with a Marantz 2325

buster757

I have a new pair of Heresy IVs, which were my recent upgrade from Heresy IIIs.  I run them with a fully restored and upgraded Marantz 2325.  I am so impressed with

the imaging and sound quality, I can't find anything that sounds any better.  I tried a new Marantz Model 30 integrated amplifier and went back to the 2325.  I have owned this receiver since new in 1975.  Am I just biased, or has anyone else had a similar experience?

Dan

• Like 2

You are accustomed to the sound of the receiver

and

the integrated may be inferior

analog tech peaked in the 1970s

and receiver wars were on

Audio engineering has the engineering part,

but also some art to it.

If female voice sounds natural quality is good

piano tests the performance

Slow piano better than fast beats on the amp

On 3/15/2023 at 12:28 PM, buster757 said:

I have owned this receiver since new in 1975.  Am I just biased, or has anyone else had a similar experience?

Dan

the Marantz 2325  amp  was all discrete , 125 wpc ,  spectacular sound .  if you want a new  amplifier with vintage sound ,   the Yamaha A-S 1200-2200-3200  series are  pretty close  .     

• Like 2

It’s  difficult to accurately compare the sound quality of amplifiers /integrated amplifiers/ receivers , and darned near impossible to find any meaningful consensus on amp sound quality , but I do remember that my old 2270 Marantz sounded fantastic . And what  I know for sure , is that the old Marantz  units look outstanding , have a very high quality feel , and jewel like finish. I wish I still had my old Marantz 2270 , I’d play  your 2325 with no reservations, and be proud to do so , they made some damn good stuff back then , and were  more robust than most of the electronics of today . If it sounds good to you, then don’t let anyone convince you otherwise , because they’ll likely be full of b.s.  That old Marantz is a quality unit that has stood the test of time . You would be lucky to find something that plays better than your fine old Marantz 🤓

• Like 1

Makes me want one for my Cornwall IVs. I remember about 25 years ago I was playing my RF3s with an Onkyo  AVR. I thought they sounded great at the time. My buddy brought over an amp that his stepdad let him try out. An old Marantz from the 70s. It completely destroyed the AVR. So much richer and fuller sound. We played Chicago 25 or 6-4. Ran into him a few months ago. His stepdad recently gave him the reciever. Turns out it is a Marantz 4270. 75?  I know it’s a quad and 70 something. Lol.