KLF10 mid speaker is rattling.....vintage 1978

Motor7

Hello all, I bought these Klipsch speakers brand new around 1978. I have dragged them from NOLA, to TX, to FL, and now I'm retired and in TN. These have been an outstanding investment for 45 years.....love these speakers! Anyway, today there is a rattle in the mid woofer, so what are my options to fix or replace parts? Does Klipsch have drop in parts for these cabinets, or are us vintage folks on our own to attempt repairs? If I need to dig into to them, what am I looking for?

M-7

Trying to upload pic's....spacer.png

spacer.png

15 hours ago, Motor7 said:

Hello all, I bought these Klipsch speakers brand new around 1978. These have been an outstanding investment for 45 years.....love these speakers! Anyway, today there is a rattle in the mid woofer, so what are my options to fix or replace parts? Does Klipsch have drop in parts for these cabinets

Hello, these speakers were made 1997-2001 I believe Klipsch has not offered replacement woofers for many years now best bet is to keep an eye on eBay as they do get parted out quite frequently or you can buy new aftermarket copies from a reputable seller although I have no personal experience going that route good luck!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154113477049?hash=item23e1e109b9:g:pxoAAOSwd4tT9lyK

14 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Hello, these speakers were made 1997-2001 I believe Klipsch has not offered replacement woofers for many years now best bet is to keep an eye on eBay as they do get parted out quite frequently or you can buy new aftermarket copies from a reputable seller although I have no personal experience going that route good luck!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154113477049?hash=item23e1e109b9:g:pxoAAOSwd4tT9lyK

Good grief, is my memory that bad? If so that is scary......2 decades is a lot to lose...are you sure about the dates?, or is there a year code in the serial number(s)?. 

Oh, and thanks for the link. Maybe someone here has tried these woofers? While I am in there, should I re-build the crossovers, if a kit is still available?

Edited by Motor7

On 3/16/2023 at 9:08 AM, Motor7 said:

Good grief, is my memory that bad? If so that is scary......2 decades is a lot to lose...are you sure about the dates?, or is there a year code in the serial number(s)?. 

Oh, and thanks for the link. Maybe someone here has tried these woofers? While I am in there, should I re-build the crossovers, if a kit is still available?

Your serial number indicates they were manufactured in 2000. (The 00 following the KLF10SB)

Tough getting old! lol

@winglet  So is the woofer with the missing dust cap the one making the noise?  Do you have the dust cap that can simply be glued back on?  As mentioned, Klipsch has no parts for anything but their Heritage stuff, for the most part.  If it's truly bad, look on e b a y, etc., for parted out speakers.  If you find some, buy two so you have a spare.  Personally, I wouldn't mess with changing out the capacitors in those as I would think they were still fine.  Now, if there is an electrolytic in each, that could be replaced with a new electrolytic like a Mundorf E-cap, which is reasonable.  No reason to replace those electrolytics with poly caps in that part of the circuit.  But, it's your money.

1 hour ago, avguytx said:

@winglet  So is the woofer with the missing dust cap the one making the noise?  Do you have the dust cap that can simply be glued back on?……  No reason to replace those electrolytics with poly caps in that part of the circuit.  But, it's your money.

Think you meant @Motor7

I agree though.  I personally wouldn’t bother recapping if they sound good with the woofer fixed/replaced.

Is the voice coil attached firmly to the cone?  If not, that could be your rattle.  Nothing to lose trying to re glue it.  Missing dust cap alone shouldn’t cause a rattle.

Wait...a synapse fired(audible crack)...this was my second set of Klipsch speakers....the first set went byby in a 2003 Divorce. I gotta lay off the shrooms....;>!

Ok, solid advise, I am not sure if I put that dust cap where it could ever be found again. Will check out the voice coil and look at those aftermarket and used.....thanks!

On 3/15/2023 at 5:00 PM, Motor7 said:

what are my options to fix or replace parts? Does Klipsch have drop in parts for these cabinets, or are us vintage folks on our own to attempt repairs? If I need to dig into to them, what am I looking for?

the woofer can be fixed if the woofer 's cone and spider are not damaged ,  either the magnet gap is dirty or the voice coil is shot .

there are lot of videos online that show how to replace a woofer voice coil ,   remove the damaged  voice coil in a relatively good condition ,  and look for a matching VC  at a local speaker shop ,  other option is to buy  a  used original woofer .

-for the network capacitors , no reason to touch anything .

On 3/16/2023 at 12:25 PM, winglet said:

Think you meant @Motor7

I agree though.  I personally wouldn’t bother recapping if they sound good with the woofer fixed/replaced.

Is the voice coil attached firmly to the cone?  If not, that could be your rattle.  Nothing to lose trying to re glue it.  Missing dust cap alone shouldn’t cause a rattle.

Yep....wrong one.  :D

you're gonna need some black rubber speaker cement glue ,   check for a tear  or crack  in the cone  ,  move the cone up and down , if it's scratchy , the voice coil is dirty or damaged ,   if there  is no scratchy sound , then you're doing good , check the cone perimeter   for any glue separation , check the spider .

https://www.parts-express.com/Black-Rubber-Cement-Speaker-Repair-Glue-1-oz.-Bottle-340-078?quantity=1

46 minutes ago, OO1 said:

you're gonna need some black rubber speaker cement glue ,   check for a tear  or crack  in the cone  ,  move the cone up and down , if it's scratchy , the voice coil is dirty or damaged ,   if there  is no scratchy sound , then you're doing good , check the cone perimeter   for any glue separation , check the spider .

https://www.parts-express.com/Black-Rubber-Cement-Speaker-Repair-Glue-1-oz.-Bottle-340-078?quantity=1

Ordered(found it on the 'zon for $12 & change shipped)...much thanks for the info & I will update the status once I open the speaker up. 

Edited by Motor7
  • Like 1

Speaking of the 70's does anyone remember Sonab speakers? Back then I was a broke student, but working two jobs, so I had a little $. I was torn between a pair of Sonab's or Klipsch. While at the audio showroom, an employee dollied in a set of large Sonab's, said they were blown out during a house party and needed repair....I went with Klipsch, but have to say the sound of the Sonab's was amazing. 

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, Jim smith said:

Klf 10 sound is way off,  due to a 8uf ground cap , put it at 15 with a 3ohm resistor thank me later , mine were from 1972 lol

Hope you’re joking about the 1972 part.