[Sold] RSX-5's for Sale

The History Kid

I held onto these forever, because they're such an awesome speaker, but an offer to upgrade presented itself.  Thus, it's time to part ways.  These speakers held their own against many other contenders over the years.  They've been moved around from computer systems to finally resting in a bedroom.  I'm the second owner, but while they've been in my care they've been well cared for.  Their only flaw right now is dust!  I'm in the process of cleaning the grilles on them, so those are not in the picture below.  Drivers are nice and clear, stands are in good shape, binding posts are clean.  These speakers are ready to rock someone's world.

The satellite speaker that doesn't know it's a satellite speaker is up for $100 + shipping.  These don't come around super often anymore (the 5's at least).

20230315_192900.thumb.jpg.49da2c27397d06ffee2e97d3637f78cc.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2023 at 10:31 PM, BATMAN5892 said:

I currently run 4 of these for my Atmos speakers in my original 7 series Reference system. I read years ago that they were fairly close as far as timbre matching. They do great in my opinion. Really nice speakers for the size and money. GLWS!

Couldn’t agree more I’m running 2 fours for Atmos in a pair of fives for rears and they’re outstanding…  trying to think of a reason I would need to buy another pair but unfortunately I can’t come up with a good one,  to be honest I’m surprised these aren’t sold already…. These easily rival what’s on their market currently for a lot less money.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2023 at 8:31 PM, BATMAN5892 said:

I currently run 4 of these for my Atmos speakers in my original 7 series Reference system. I read years ago that they were fairly close as far as timbre matching. They do great in my opinion. Really nice speakers for the size and money. GLWS!

How do you mount these for Atmos? I'm interested in doing the same and interested in these speakers as a result.

• Like 2

I'm not an Atmos expert, but with my limited understanding of Atmos, you could in theory A: use them as object height speakers at the front or rear (this is how I use my RB-5's), B: if you have vaulted ceilings you can aim them upwards since the stands and pedestals are adjustable, or C : Ceiling mount angled downward from above as object heights.  The plates are very sturdy and should support ceiling mount.  See below for the mount configuration.

20230405_132637.jpg

10 hours ago, archdukeobvious said:

How do you mount these for Atmos? I'm interested in doing the same and interested in these speakers as a result.

Like The History Kid shows above, they have three mounting holes. Where my system is in the basement and the ceiling is unfinished, I have them tucked in between the floor joists firing directly at the seats. They also can be swiveled up/down and left/right to aim perfectly at listening position. They can be found fairly cheap and we're a super easy solution for me. Took just a few minutes to mount and then adjust. They are perfect, but they sound great to me. 

4 hours ago, archdukeobvious said:

This is how I did mine, however those are fours not fives that are mounted in the atmos position… keep in mind. The fives are pretty big.  I have my fives mounted on the back wall as rear surrounds.  The fives may seem a bit obtrusive as Atmos speakers, depending on the size of your room but I’m not sure what your situation is.  The fours seem to be the perfect fit in my room.  However, regardless of the size, make sure you are using a stud if you’re mounting them overhead on the ceiling. I would be careful to use anchors in that situation.  Hope this helps, and by the way they sound awesome.

FA99FDE9-14E5-4C97-A063-A282EC04AED2.jpeg

4C0B8EE4-3754-40EE-BE0E-A77DAFCC1C75.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, BATMAN5892 said:

Like The History Kid shows above, they have three mounting holes. Where my system is in the basement and the ceiling is unfinished, I have the tucked in between the floor joists firing directly at the seats. They also can be swiveled up/down and left/right to aim perfectly at listening position. They can be found fairly cheap and we're a super easy solution for me. Took just a few minutes to mount and then adjust. They are perfect, but they sound great to me. 

I agree I don’t think these can be beat for the money and versatility… in ceiling speakers were not a viable option for me since I have a two-story home…. And I think these sound as good, if not better than most of what is available out there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, archdukeobvious said:

You should snag these at that price. I didn’t get mine anywhere near that low that is a great deal from history kid and he has a good reputation here.  Also, to be honest, the fires do not come up very often which is not why I’m sure he was hanging onto them so long.

I think I'm convinced (not that I needed much convincing lol). Here is my setup. I plan on putting them either slightly behind the listening area or directly on either side of the couch, both options would be on the ceiling. There is a wooden support beam about 5 feet behind the listening area, but I think that will be too far back. I do have some in ceiling speakers I could install as well, but I don't really want to go that route.

Any suggestions for mounting brackets?

Screenshot_20230406-111045~2.png

• Like 1

You shouldn’t Need mounting brackets, you should be able to mount them directly to the ceiling or the wall just make sure you’re mounting them into a stud…. They are designed to be mounted with the swivels that they are on.  Take a look at my picture above with the one I mounted to the ceiling.  The flat black part that you see flush with the ceiling has a removable plate where you will put screws into the holes under that plate to mount it to the ceiling or wall.

• Like 1

You can also see what it looks like under the flat black plate with the picture that history kid has listed above, that is the bottom of the mountain the holes you see there are the ones that you’re used to put the screws in. There are three of them.

• Like 1

Those are first and foremost bookshelf speakers with a variety of flexibility like was said earlier. There is an allen wrench that came with them new but, no biggie.

Sold my four 5s to a guy wanting height speakers around a pool table. He let me know they were perfect. The center RCX-4 a really decent center that lunches way...above it's class. A no brainer but take a look at these Reference speakers online. They are not cheap or lightweight.

Enjoy...these highly efficient speakers of which RSX-3,4,and 5 models. Once my RF-3s I mistakenly left off and for a couple of hours, the 5s tricked me for HT.

Mercy...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xo705cf said:

You shouldn’t Need mounting brackets, you should be able to mount them directly to the ceiling or the wall just make sure you’re mounting them into a stud…. They are designed to be mounted with the swivels that they are on.  Take a look at my picture above with the one I mounted to the ceiling.  The flat black part that you see flush with the ceiling has a removable plate where you will put screws into the holes under that plate to mount it to the ceiling or wall.

Oh nice! That saves a lot of effort for mounting then. I had 4 AW-400's mounted on the ceiling in my previous place, but they never really felt like the sound matched at all. I had to cut some mounting blocks for those to angle them right and still hit the joists. I wish I had known about these RSX's back then! This is a picture of the prior place. It was a much better room for home theater.

Screenshot_20230406-134436.png