Hooking up KG2's to 2.0 channel

theJason82

Hello,

I'm sorry I'm just starting to learn about vintage stereo.  I recently inherited an old Kenwood KA-8300 with integrated amplifier and some KG 2 Speakers.  I have 2 KG 2.1's, a single KG 2.2 and the passive subwoofer.  I believe they were all hooked up to this system by the previous owner, but it came to me all disconnected.

http://assets.klipsch.com/product-specsheets/KG-.2-series.pdf

The system also has A/B selection, if it matters.  So I get the left and right KG2.1's, that's easy enough.  The passive sub has left / right channel output and input.  I'm assuming I run the wire from the input to the same L/R that the 2.1's are connected to.

What can I do with the 2.2?  Can I split positive and negative on that speaker and connect it to both left and right?  Do I connect it to just onside and try to play with balance?

I'm really lost here, please help.

The 2.2's I'd run as Speaker A.  2.1's to Speaker B.  For the passive sub, you'll run the Speaker A (or B ) from the receiver to the sub input.  Then from the sub output, you'll run it to the speakers.  Don't double up on the receiver, that isn't how its designed to work.

Okay that makes sense. I only have a single 2.2 though. Should I just use that as a center channel on my tv system and stick with just the pair of 2.1’s on this one?  This system will be strictly for vinyl. I’ve read about creating a phantom center channel but it seems the consensus is that it makes everything too mono. 

2 hours ago, theJason82 said:

Okay that makes sense. I only have a single 2.2 though. Should I just use that as a center channel on my tv system and stick with just the pair of 2.1’s on this one?  This system will be strictly for vinyl. I’ve read about creating a phantom center channel but it seems the consensus is that it makes everything too mono. 

If it's a Klipsch sub I'm assuming it's a KG-SW?  If so, great sub.

Yes, don't worry about throwing the 2.2 into the mix.  Sell it or utilize it elsewhere.

Connect it as The History Kid described above.

The KA-8300 is a good 2 channel amp.  I had Kenwood integrateds in college, wish I'd kept them.  It deserves a nice pair of speakers and its own room.  Trying to hook all you have to it is possible, if you keep a gentle hand on the throttle (the combined impedance may be a little low), but the results may not be impressive; all channel stereo. 

You have the makings of a neat home theater setup.  I'd get a theater receiver, use the 2.2 as the center, the KG2s as front L&R and the 2.1s (actually 1.2s?) as rear L&R.  My rear speaker stands are shaker style rubber tree wood I finished.  You ought to have an outboard power amp for the passive subwoofer and let the theater receiver handle the crossover. 

For instance:

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-APA150-150W-Power-Amplifier-300-812?quantity=1

img1 (1).jpg