Original Cornwalls ('79) vs Cornwall IV or LaScala AL5s

JoseCanseco

Hi! I'm new to the forums and would appreciate any help or insight you can provide...

I currently own a pair of 1979 Cornwalls that I managed to get for a reasonable price ($1000 for the pair). They're a bit worn with black paint, original drivers and cones, and some glued-on velcro dots on the fronts for attaching grills (which weren't included). Not the most aesthetically pleasing but not too bad. I eventually replaced the crossovers with Crities Crossovers, and they now sound pretty fantastic. If I had to nitpick, I'd say they're slightly boomy / boxy but better than anything I have previously owned.

I've been saving up and am considering getting new speakers. Initially, I thought about La Scalas, but after reading about potential low-end issues in smaller rooms and considering the high price, I'm now leaning towards considering Cornwall IVs. Ideally, I'd like something with better imaging and a solid low end, while also being more aesthetically pleasing / less beat up.

I haven't found much information comparing Cornwall I and Cornwall IVs, aside from a few opinions suggesting that older Klipsch models are better than the new ones.

I primarily listen to records using tubes for amps/preamps. I also use a DAC/Streamer with Roon for more casual listening in a smaller living room.

Fortunately, I live near a store where I could audition both new La Scalas and Cornwalls. However, I'd like to do some homework before heading over, so as not to waste too much iof their time.

I'm curious if anyone here has upgraded from older Klipsch models to newer heritage models and could share their experiences or opinions. Thanks in advance!

Edited by JoseCanseco
fixing topic typo
  • Like 2

• JoseCanseco changed the title to Original Cornwalls ('79) vs Cornwall IV or LaScala AL5s

I haven’t heard AL5s, but I own LS IIs and have owned CW IVs. Here is the pecking order in my mind.

CW IV > CW I

LS II > CW IV

So I assume the AL5 is better than better than all of them.

It’s true that the Cornwall has deeper bass, but the LS has truer bass. The bass quality is much improved in the IV, but still bested by the LS. 

Bottom line, AL5 gets my vote. And some would say, paired with subs, even over a khorn.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 7:25 PM, JoseCanseco said:

I'm now leaning towards considering Cornwall IVs. 

the AL5 does not require a sub   IF you have proper corners , the Cornwall  IV is an ultra modern Cornwall 1 , 0 flaws   it's not boomy , the midrange horn is huge in comparison to the CW 1 , same for the mids driver , if you like the CW 1 , you'll be floored with the 4th version .

Nothing like horn loaded bass. The bass the LS makes is fantastic. LS also has bigger mid horn. The bigger the horn the better the sound is what I have found over decades of playing with sound. The cannon fire from the Tchaikovsky 1812 Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra will make you jump out of your chair if you have the system turned up too loud.  One will have to experience it to understand. 

s-l500.jpg

• Like 2

I listened to both. I have the CW IV with two REL subs paired.  Both are great speakers no doubt.  Is one worth 2x the price- not for me.   Pretty big difference from my Forte's to the CW.  As with most equipment, as you move up the line there are performance differences along with diminished returns.  If you got the $, buy the biggest baddest Heritage you can afford. They all sound pretty awesome.  Also in my room, I have a "L" shape. No corners.  I am still working placement and it's been three weeks.  All fun though.  The CWs are very balanced and really respond to what is upstream.  I have a pretty robust SS amp.  I tried two different tube amps.  Neither one did the trick and the 2nd was very bright.   So CW or LS, look at what you are pairing with.  I'm really surprised by Kilpsch and the Heritage line.  My previous speakers were Wilson.  I'll have these CWs a long time.  Great for Jazz to acoustic to rock......   Best of luck on your journey...

• Like 2

The onlg time I've heard Cornwalls was in the mid 2000s at Klipsxh HQ in Indy. I personally didn't like them that much, but someone thought the eq settings had been messed with.

In the early '80s I had heard/used some La Scala clones made by the late Dennis Kleitsch (djk). I was friends on his brother and we borrowed them for P. A. use. They were really good. After moving to the Chattanooga area, later in the early 2000s,  my older son and I were talking about those speakers. We got on these forums and connected with member John Albright in Chattanooga, who offered us an extra pair of LS he had. We auditioned them at his home and really wanted them but couldn't afford his, I think, $450 asking price. Perhaps that was without crossovers.

I've since had two different pair of LS and in some ways regret letting them go.  You will never get over the quickness or dynamics of fully horn loaded speakers.

Mine were used in rooms approx. 11x20. Bass was absolutely fine for me. Bass on the newer ones is better due to the thicker non-resonant sidewalls.

Sorry to ramble on with such a long story. I still have horns...

• Like 2

On 3/19/2023 at 4:15 AM, OO1 said:

the AL5 does not require a sub   IF you have proper corners , the Cornwall  IV is an ultra modern Cornwall 1 , 0 flaws   it's not boomy , the midrange horn is huge in comparison to the CW 1 , same for the mids driver , if you like the CW 1 , you'll be floored with the 4th version .

Love this. thanks....I do not have "proper corners" but rather a flat wall....Going to keep this heavily in mind

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoseCanseco said:

Love this. thanks....I do not have "proper corners" but rather a flat wall....Going to keep this heavily in mind

It won't be long and you'll be craving LS...  Add a sub later down the road ...   No corners needed.   :)  

3 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

It won't be long and you'll be craving LS...  Add a sub later down the road ...   No corners needed.   :)  

Two Quick Q's : 1) For the AL5s. How does the wiring work? Is it bi-amped with the subs wired to the "L" terminals? (and then additionally bi-wired to the La Scala?). For reference I am using a Rogue Audio Cronus II

2) Sub placement. Is it as potentially as simple as LaSCala's L/R and a sub in the middle? Any theoretical advantages for two cheaper subs vs a "nicer" sub in the middle?

Edited by JoseCanseco
adding words
  • Like 1

I am pretty sure you can only bi-wire the AL5, but not biamp.

As for subs, don't cheap out here. And don't go small. Two will give you a flatter in room frequency response and will be easier to dial in than one. I'd say 15" driver at a minimum.

Whatever you go with, save room in your budget for one of these:

https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/anti-mode-8033s-ii-new

I will not ever own subwoofers again without it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

^^^^^^^ what he said.   

I'm cheap though and found this at auction sitting in someone's carriage house calling my name.  $150 out the door.  :)

IMG-20210503-151747126.jpg

Scrubbed it up, slapped a couple coats of Armor All on it, repainted the metal grill cover, double acoustically transparent black speaker cloth went back on the front after pounding out a couple dings in the metal grill cover.  Looks like a new one and does it's job quite nicely on the cheap.  Just an old JBLSP128S.  They just move air anyway right?   😂

IMG-20210916-101906467.jpg

Minus the grill cover, which is now back on and now tucked neatly into a cabinet, which holds the TV.  Patience is a virtue.  

Gotta put your signature on it when your done.  That's half the fun of it.  Outside the box...  Always outside the box.  lol   :)

You'll sort it.