Seeking Community Members' Suggestions to Configure and Optimize My Klipsch Reference Cinema System 5.1.2

TrueCineaste

I have the above Klipsch speaker package and am seeking suggestions on how I can best output them via several customizable settings. I wired my speakers to the Sony STR-DH790 7.2ch AV receiver and have run several auto-calibration tests using a mic on this receiver. However, I haven’t been able to achieve satisfactory acoustical results. (This receiver doesn’t have Audyssey.) I bought Decibel Meter Pro, which I used this past week to measure the performance of each of my Klipsch speakers. I played a DTS 5.1 demo disc and later Sony’s test tones for two of my height channels while recording. I’ve posted the results of my testing data below along with each speaker’s distance from where I always sit. While I know I can’t reproduce my HT room for you here and recreate what the acoustical experience is precisely like, I’ll provide as much info as possible so I can hopefully get my multi-surround system as close to reference level as possible. My HT is situated in a relatively small/mid-size family room with my couch against the wall. One surround speaker sits directly to my left on a table lamp and the other I have propped up on a box-and-a-stand.

The decibel levels on my Sony receiver range from -10 to +10, which can be modified in the Speaker Settings. Before running my tests, I set each one to “0.” For crossover frequency, I set each speaker to 80Hz. Users on this forum recommended that particular hertz number for the tests. Before I ran the tests, I set the volume control at 30 on the receiver’s display panel because that’s probably the volume I have it set at the most often.

Some info on my four Klipsch satellite speakers, especially for those who don't have them. Their frequency response is 90Hz-20kHz (+/- 3dB). Sensitivity is 92 dB at 2.83 volts / 1 meter. Power handling is 75 watts/300 watts (continuous/peak). Frequency response is 2000Hz. Each satellite comes with a built-in woofer. When I played the Australian Imprint edition of At Close Range, which has a PCM 2.0 Stereo mix, the bass output was absolutely incredible.

On the center speaker, the frequency response is 80Hz-20kHz (+/- 3dB). Sensitivity is 91 dB at 2.83 volts / 1 meter. Power handling is 75 watts/300 watts (continuous/peak). Frequency response is 1800Hz.

I’m just using two height channels on the rears because there aren’t enough ports and binding clips on the back of the receiver to accommodate the other two elevation channels, which would be in the front. The power handling for each of the heights is 40 watts/160 watts (continuous/peak). They are mounted on the top of the satellite speakers.

My sub’s frequency response is 32Hz - 120Hz +/- 3dB, with maximum acoustic output of 112 dB. The amplifier’s power is 150 watts/300 watts (continuous/peak). I had to turn the Gain knob down from 50% to 25% and also decrease Low Pass from around 100Hz to 75Hz because the LFE and bass was too powerful while playing a number of Blu-rays and UHDs over the last three months. The floor often rumbled and caused a wave pattern on the curtains behind the sub while playing 4K discs such as Dragonheart, Everything Everywhere All at Once, and Mary, Queen of Scots. Bass sounded more normal while playing Tár, one of the first titles using my new receiver and speakers.

Speaker Distances from My Listening Position

Front Left                   11ft 4in

Front Right                 11ft 9in

Center                       10ft 7in

Subwoofer                 12ft 4in

Surround Left             3ft 3in

Surround Right            5ft 8in

dB: Sound Meter Pro DTS & Atmos Test Results for Klipsch 5.1.2 Speakers

Front Left – avg: 44, max: 67, peak 19

Center – avg: 52, max: 66, peak 17

Front Right – avg: 52, max: 64, peak 33

Surround Right – avg: 57, max: 69, peak 27

Surround Height Right – avg: 44, max 55, peak 55

Surround Left – avg: 63, max: 78, peak 21

Surround Height Left – avg: 44, max 70, peak 26

Subwoofer – avg: 45, max 64, peak 30

Based on the above data, any recommendations for modifying each speaker from zero to either a negative or positive integer in Sony’s settings menu? (Again, I can go anywhere from -10 to +10.) Additionally, there are modifiable bass and treble levels in Sony’s Equalizer menu. I also preset all of those to zero. I will certainly consider experimenting with any of your suggestions.

• Like 1

It’s almost impossible to be an armchair home theater calibration person.  Everyone’s rooms and setups are totally different, you’ll just have to keep tweaking it until you’re satisfied with the results.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TrueCineaste said:

I have the above Klipsch speaker package and am seeking suggestions on how I can best output them via several customizable settings. I wired my speakers to the Sony STR-DH790 7.2ch AV receiver and have run several auto-calibration tests using a mic on this receiver. However, I haven’t been able to achieve satisfactory acoustical results. (This receiver doesn’t have Audyssey.) I bought Decibel Meter Pro, which I used this past week to measure the performance of each of my Klipsch speakers. I played a DTS 5.1 demo disc and later Sony’s test tones for two of my height channels while recording. I’ve posted the results of my testing data below along with each speaker’s distance from where I always sit. While I know I can’t reproduce my HT room for you here and recreate what the acoustical experience is precisely like, I’ll provide as much info as possible so I can hopefully get my multi-surround system as close to reference level as possible. My HT is situated in a relatively small/mid-size family room with my couch against the wall. One surround speaker sits directly to my left on a table lamp and the other I have propped up on a box-and-a-stand.

The decibel levels on my Sony receiver range from -10 to +10, which can be modified in the Speaker Settings. Before running my tests, I set each one to “0.” For crossover frequency, I set each speaker to 80Hz. Users on this forum recommended that particular hertz number for the tests. Before I ran the tests, I set the volume control at 30 on the receiver’s display panel because that’s probably the volume I have it set at the most often.

Some info on my four Klipsch satellite speakers, especially for those who don't have them. Their frequency response is 90Hz-20kHz (+/- 3dB). Sensitivity is 92 dB at 2.83 volts / 1 meter. Power handling is 75 watts/300 watts (continuous/peak). Frequency response is 2000Hz. Each satellite comes with a built-in woofer. When I played the Australian Imprint edition of At Close Range, which has a PCM 2.0 Stereo mix, the bass output was absolutely incredible.

On the center speaker, the frequency response is 80Hz-20kHz (+/- 3dB). Sensitivity is 91 dB at 2.83 volts / 1 meter. Power handling is 75 watts/300 watts (continuous/peak). Frequency response is 1800Hz.

I’m just using two height channels on the rears because there aren’t enough ports and binding clips on the back of the receiver to accommodate the other two elevation channels, which would be in the front. The power handling for each of the heights is 40 watts/160 watts (continuous/peak). They are mounted on the top of the satellite speakers.

My sub’s frequency response is 32Hz - 120Hz +/- 3dB, with maximum acoustic output of 112 dB. The amplifier’s power is 150 watts/300 watts (continuous/peak). I had to turn the Gain knob down from 50% to 25% and also decrease Low Pass from around 100Hz to 75Hz because the LFE and bass was too powerful while playing a number of Blu-rays and UHDs over the last three months. The floor often rumbled and caused a wave pattern on the curtains behind the sub while playing 4K discs such as Dragonheart, Everything Everywhere All at Once, and Mary, Queen of Scots. Bass sounded more normal while playing Tár, one of the first titles using my new receiver and speakers.

Speaker Distances from My Listening Position

Front Left                   11ft 4in

Front Right                 11ft 9in

Center                       10ft 7in

Subwoofer                 12ft 4in

Surround Left             3ft 3in

Surround Right            5ft 8in

dB: Sound Meter Pro DTS & Atmos Test Results for Klipsch 5.1.2 Speakers

Front Left – avg: 44, max: 67, peak 19

Center – avg: 52, max: 66, peak 17

Front Right – avg: 52, max: 64, peak 33

Surround Right – avg: 57, max: 69, peak 27

Surround Height Right – avg: 44, max 55, peak 55

Surround Left – avg: 63, max: 78, peak 21

Surround Height Left – avg: 44, max 70, peak 26

Subwoofer – avg: 45, max 64, peak 30

Based on the above data, any recommendations for modifying each speaker from zero to either a negative or positive integer in Sony’s settings menu? (Again, I can go anywhere from -10 to +10.) Additionally, there are modifiable bass and treble levels in Sony’s Equalizer menu. I also preset all of those to zero. I will certainly consider experimenting with any of your suggestions.

Welcome! First I would place the 2 rear surrounds at equal distance from the listening position. Also would have the distance from the center and front l/r equal as possible from listening position. That is inline with each other.

Guess you are having fun setting up. Hope so as it takes about of time to have a final tweak done. Minutes or days.

How is it sounding to begin with?

Thanks @TrueCineaste

• Like 1

Wuzzer: 'It’s almost impossible to be an armchair home theater calibration person.  Everyone’s rooms and setups are totally different, you’ll just have to keep tweaking it until you’re satisfied with the results.' On target 🎯 . It sounds like you have a good grasp on how 'things' are supposed to work on an atmos setup.....so just keep at it. We've re-checked and adjusted off and on for years, even if a chair had been moved or placed. I have no experience on the newer set up options on todays gear at all...so sticking with our old dts master hd/dolby true hd standard for our 5.3 outfit here. The biggest help for us has always been our old radio-shack analog db meter. Even after an in-receiver auto check up. That and speaker/sub positions, seating. In a living room makes it even more tedious at times.. 😅

billybob: 'First I would place the 2 rear surrounds at equal distance from the listening position. Also would have the distance from the center and front l/r equal as possible from listening position. That is inline with each other.' 🎯

Keep at it, and welcome !!!  ~Mike

• Like 1