Forte II crossovers? (And a couple of other questions)

Hi All,

I recently purchased some used Forte 2s and needed to pull the PRs to give things a cleaning and pull out a dented dust cap (success!). I wanted to take a peek at the crossover to see if these were abused and check things for any damage as they were in storage for some time. If power resistors were run hot, etc. They do look pristine, but these crossovers don't look anything like what I have been seeing posted on rebuild sites. Are these originals? (See picture)

A couple of things I noticed, and was surprised premium speakers have these issues:

1. Wires to the drivers were not held in place, so the top two driver wires were rattling on the back of the woofer magnet. I simply tie-wrapped these up.

2. The crossover and wiring gauge seems a little light, but they work. The engineer in me says a simple bump in gauge probably won't be a noticeable improvement, but I may bump things up on a rainy day with a crossover rebuild. It bothers me they are such a light gauge.

3. Knuckling the enclosure to look for loose joints, cracks, etc. revealed the enclosures were still sound. However, the front baffle between the woofer and squawker rings like a bell. That REALLY surprises me, as in theory this should be messing with response at higher volumes. Some searching revealed that is it common to retrofit this with some bracing. Anyone recommend this change?

Do the modern Forte V's address these things? Mostly out of curiosity. Not that I need Vs when I already have these. I am hoping I can make some minor tweaks to my Forte IIs to get a little more improvement, despite them already being wonderful.

Lastly, I would like to locate just the Squawker and tweeter drivers (even used works) to build an affordable center that will fit under my screen for when I use the system for HT, any idea where I can locate some of these for this purpose? Mostly lately music listening so these would be off most of the time.

I was originally going to build clones of these Fortes myself, but deal was too good to pass up. Recently finished a Dayton 18" sub and the blend with these is a dream come true for me. Solid impact, deep invisible bass that gives that live experience.

Thanks!

-Mark

IMG_0825.jpeg

Edited by liquidsquid793
More than just crossovers.

• liquidsquid793 changed the title to Forte II crossovers? (And a couple of other questions)