A Cautionary tale with a capitol C

sunburnwilly

Well this is awkward .

I had been experiencing prostate issues for a bit which is common in guys my age , 57 . Finally went to a urologist and long story short I have prostate cancer . Livable and treatable unless you catch it too late because prostate cancer is one of those cancers that likes to go to the bone 🍖
Had a CT scan and a bone scan on the 10th . CT was mostly good ; organs normal size and contour . A bit of a tumor in a node but workable . Bone scan was bad , shits everywhere . 
First meeting with my oncologist was last Monday the 13th and I started chemo St. Patricks day . No time for orientation or prep they just threw me in and gave me the kitchen sink , their term for 3 drugs . Infusion , shot and pill , my insurance wouldn't cover the pill so they are working on financial assistance and possibly it could be covered through some other channels . Six treatments every three weeks and then bone strengthener and something else every three months for ever . 

First bad day was yesterday the 20th and it was weird . I felt like a pincushion/voodoo doll . Constant sharp stabbing pain intermittent and random mostly in my torso and pelvic area but also my knees and legs in general . Maybe that’s the bone drugs doing their thing 🤷‍♂️ . A little bit of nausea but that's nothing compared to the other stuff I was experiencing .

The thing is we've all seen the ads for prostate conditions and guys can deal with it for a while . I was stubborn and when I got around to doing something about it , well .

Wish me luck !    

Oh yeah , do not use any testosterone supplements unless directed by a physician ! Testosterone fuels prostate cancer like estrogen does breast cancer . I was using the Weider Prime Testosterone Support supplement that I picked up at Costco when I first noticed symptoms . 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 15

Letting know cool. Sorry if I miss liking your tube choices. Dig them. Yes, likely you are feeling the vibes of care there. Be well !!!

Besides, you have the 4 leaf Clover. 

Edited by billybob
Crimson
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@sunburnwilly Dude! thought you'd been a little quiet lately. Sorry you have to go through this, I hope the chemo/rad is as targeted as when I had it in `07. No more hair in the way:dry:.

Since I've known others with the C please know that the positive outlook "thing" can really help you physically. 

Mind over Matter is Real if you will it to be!

So... don't let it drag you down, continue living for your loved ones, continue pushin' that Scooby-Do (within reason, ya know) and doing your thing with those Oriental gals and their hypnotic beats and your cardio workouts and dare that crap to stop you!! 

Heck you're more young than me a `66r huh?

Eat your veggies, meat, grains, fruit & dairy as natural and balanced as possible! (take advantage if they have a nutritional advisor there) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'll keep you in mind...

Had my prostate removed last August. From the bone scan and ultrasound I had before the biopsy, they were pretty sure it was all still contained in the prostate. The biopsy after removal indicated it was so, and the seven lymph nodes they removed were clear.

Six months out, my follow-up psa level is a tad over 1. Should be more like a 0.1 or undetectable. I'm having a PET-CT scan in 30 minutes, just waiting for some injection to get through my body.

Good vibes, thoughts an prayers for you on your journey!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Sorry to hear this, best wishes for a speedy recovery. 

I knew another dude that had a form of cancer after he was taking testosterone supplements, but I think his were illegal.  Anyway, good point on talking to the doctor first and making sure you do or don't need something. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, JohnJ said:

No more hair in the way:dry:.

Yep , oncologist says I should have a couple of weeks with the hair and my nails might also go ; I work with the public so that's going to be an adjustment . 

23 hours ago, JohnJ said:

your cardio workouts

Still getting after it ! Felt terrible Monday and Tuesday but still went to my gyms group spin classes . Doing the best I can but I'm not able to be the bull for now . The drugs compromise my immunity so that could be an issue down the road .

On 3/22/2023 at 12:53 AM, JohnJ said:

Eat your veggies, meat, grains, fruit as natural and balanced as possible!

Still have a decent appetite but nothing like it was and no more wine until I complete this chemo cycle . 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

Uuugggh... It's an old guy thing  .... I have a number of friends that are One Nut Wonders. 😧

Still have both of those but they have shut down my testosterone production so it's kind of a chemical castration . In most men it comes back within a year . In a way it's similar to a woman goin through menopause , hot flashes , mood swings .

• Sad 1

I had my prostate removed in 2010 at the ripe old age of 55. The Doctor said it was ready to burst, and if I had waited any longer it would have spread. The thing that bothers me is that I had been complaining for years to my Doctor of symptoms, and he just kept an eye on my PSA level, which was elevated. I finally put my foot down, and I got a biopsy that confirmed my worst suspicions,

I said all that to say this: if you are a male over 50, please get an exam, or at least blood work for PSA. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2