A Cautionary tale with a capitol C

sunburnwilly

On 3/22/2023 at 11:57 AM, Marvel said:

I'll keep you in mind...

Had my prostate removed last August. From the bone scan and ultrasound I had before the biopsy, they were pretty sure it was all still contained in the prostate. The biopsy after removal indicated it was so, and the seven lymph nodes they removed were clear.

Six months out, my follow-up psa level is a tad over 1. Should be more like a 0.1 or undetectable. I'm having a PET-CT scan in 30 minutes, nust waiting for some injection to get through my body.

Good vibes, thoughts an prayers for you on your journey!

please let us know how things go. prayers and good vibes your way.

• Like 3

On 3/22/2023 at 11:57 AM, Marvel said:

I'll keep you in mind...

Had my prostate removed last August. From the bone scan and ultrasound I had before the biopsy, they were pretty sure it was all still contained in the prostate. The biopsy after removal indicated it was so, and the seven lymph nodes they removed were clear.

Six months out, my follow-up psa level is a tad over 1. Should be more like a 0.1 or undetectable. I'm having a PET-CT scan in 30 minutes, nust waiting for some injection to get through my body.

Good vibes, thoughts an prayers for you on your journey!

please let us know how things go. prayers and good vibes your way.

• Like 1

Here's to a good outcome for you Sunburn!

I am in the exact same situation as Marvel.  Had removal by the DaVinci robotic method in December.

I choose removal since a MRI, Biopsy and PSMA PET scan all pointed to it being contained in the prostate.

Just had my 3 month PSA test and it came out at <0.1 which they consider undetectable.

As mentioned above all of you gentlemen that haven't, get the PSA test, get a base line and watch your numbers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/22/2023 at 1:54 PM, sunburnwilly said:

Well this is awkward .

I had been experiencing prostate issues for a bit which is common in guys my age , 57 . Finally went to a urologist and long story short I have prostate cancer . Livable and treatable unless you catch it too late because prostate cancer is one of those cancers that likes to go to the bone 🍖
Had a CT scan and a bone scan on the 10th . CT was mostly good ; organs normal size and contour . A bit of a tumor in a node but workable . Bone scan was bad , shits everywhere . 
First meeting with my oncologist was last Monday the 13th and I started chemo St. Patricks day . No time for orientation or prep they just threw me in and gave me the kitchen sink , their term for 3 drugs . Infusion , shot and pill , my insurance wouldn't cover the pill so they are working on financial assistance and possibly it could be covered through some other channels . Six treatments every three weeks and then bone strengthener and something else every three months for ever . 

First bad day was yesterday the 20th and it was weird . I felt like a pincushion/voodoo doll . Constant sharp stabbing pain intermittent and random mostly in my torso and pelvic area but also my knees and legs in general . Maybe that’s the bone drugs doing their thing 🤷‍♂️ . A little bit of nausea but that's nothing compared to the other stuff I was experiencing .

The thing is we've all seen the ads for prostate conditions and guys can deal with it for a while . I was stubborn and when I got around to doing something about it , well .

Wish me luck !    

Oh yeah , do not use any testosterone supplements unless directed by a physician ! Testosterone fuels prostate cancer like estrogen does breast cancer . I was using the Weider Prime Testosterone Support supplement that I picked up at Costco when I first noticed symptoms . 

I have gone through prostate cancer in 2011 

Due to age at just over 50, I decided to proceed with robotic surgery via Da Vinci ( my combined Gleeson score was 9 ) 

Two years later I had radiation treatment as my PSA was starting to rise 

And now I am completely cancer free and have been since the radiation treatment 

PM me if you like to talk about it in detail and how I can help in what you should do 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2023 at 1:01 AM, moray james said:

hang tough prayers and good vibes your way, remember good things can happen too.

Oh yeah , there is no effing way that I don't handily beat the number my oncologist offered up ! Thanks for the Good Vibes 👍

• Like 3

Only the best outcome for you Sir. 🙏

As an aside to how testing is considered once on Medicare - PSA testing has been ruled “too unreliable” and I would need to ask the doc for a test, it’s not given as part of a yearly checkup. The same goes for the “digital” exam. If past PSA and digital exams have proved acceptable the digital exam is not part of the yearly checkup. Once again it’s an exam I would ask to have done. My past tests have all shown healthy and “your prostate is the size of a teenagers” prostate tests. Yearly Medicare checkups have become rudimentary at best. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

My PET-CT showed no evidence of anything, and another PSA test was still elevated ( 1.2 ). Options and decisions...

Good luck sir . As was explained to me If you are over 70 prostate cancer is very slow growing and men can go a long time before it's an issue . At my age of 57 it advances much quicker which seems backwards to me at least 🤷‍♂️ .

For reference my PSA was 158 at my first visit to the urologist on Jan 31st . On my first day of chemo on March 17th it was 250 . 

This really bites man I'm sorry to hear this and hope for the best outcome! Seems like everyone goes through this at some point in their life (some times multiple times) either you end up with it in some form or know someone very close who does its tough all around for everyone so prayers for you and your loved ones.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, JL Sargent said:

My goodness. Just diagnosed with a Neuroendocrine (cancer) mass in my Mesentery and constricting my small bowel. I've been having trouble eating and now I know why. Apparently this is rare. Cancer touches everybody.

Sorry to hear that. Hope all goes well for you!

• Like 3