A Cautionary tale with a capitol C

sunburnwilly

On 4/13/2023 at 9:54 PM, Travis In Austin said:

Tomorrow I get a pelvic mri of the prostate and a biopsy next Wed. My psa is slightly elevated going on 12 months but steady. Urologist said that it remaining steady like that is consistent with nothing going on.

After reading this thread I told him let’s just know for sure and do a biopsy.

I scheduled a screening colonoscopy for next month, 10 years overdue for one.

Thinking of everyone in here going through these things and sharing your stories. Got me to get everything scheduled.

Travis

Hey, Travis. 

I totally missed your post.  I sure hope it all comes out well.  Is a biopsy risky in terms of disturbing cancer cells and causing them to migrate?  I'm not sure, but I hope you asked that question and got an answer.

On 4/12/2023 at 10:20 PM, Jeff Matthews said:

she figured somehow, it would take her gracefully, but it did not.

It doesn't. When Melanoma returned for my first wife, she was 54. She passed away three days after Christmas. All three of our kids had a chance to talk with their mom within the week before. Fight the best way you can. For everyone who is posting and going through some form of cancer treatment, learn all you can, especially about the kind of cancer you have. They are all different.

I had a CT on Wednesday, for the mapping of the radiation treatment. hormone shot this coming Monday and first round of radiation on Wednesday.

Prayers for everyone.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Hey, Travis. 

I totally missed your post.  I sure hope it all comes out well.  Is a biopsy risky in terms of disturbing cancer cells and causing them to migrate?  I'm not sure, but I hope you asked that question and got an answer.

I did ask, and I also had a detailed phone call with a urologist friend from the Klipsch Museum and Forum and he confirmed that. The other thing I wanted to know was what the rate of a false negative was. With these MRI guided biopsy’s they can target areas of interest so it is less than 5%.

Travis

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Good.  I was just wondering why not just take out the entire mass?

From my biopsy in February my six samples came back as 3 - 7's , 2 - 8's and a 9 ; all high grade prostate cancer . I'm scheduled for a prostate resection on the 24th and I was also curious why not just take out the whole thing . Oncologist said it was much riskier with a greater chance of complications . He feels that I'm already pushing it having the procedure 10 days after chemo but I was adamant about getting it done and he signed off on it . I really need the relief !

• Like 3

I was fortunate with mine. I went in on the afternoon, they did the robotic assisted surgery and I didn't wake up until the following morning and went home in early afternoon. My wife asked for me to be able to spend the night unless there were complications. By spending the night, Medicare picked up most of the tab (looks like, anyway).

I stayed home for about a week and a half, until they took out the catheter. Went back to work, used Depends for a month until everything was ok.

• Like 1

@sunburnwilly Hope it all goes well. You're in my thoughts & 

I was fortunate in one way, since the transplant they probe me for stuff like that yearly.

So the excising and radiation took care of it. My heart could not take the chemo & it took almost eight months to get them to take the port out. Second day they logged my BP at 250/140 something and turned it off. I left the pump with them then. They had me try the xeloda last, that was worse I couldn't turn off what I'd ingested.

• Thanks 2

Willy. I hope you are tolerating your meds ok. Stay strong!

I've had three of my radiation treatments... only 35 to go. Probably be the end of next week before it starts 'bothering' me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2023 at 11:36 PM, codewritinfool said:

y'all are scaring the heck outta me.  i'll be 57 this year.

Don't be afraid, start with a PSA test.  If you have a family history of prostate or breast cancer get at least annual PSAs.  The same gene mutation that "causes" breast cancer "causes" prostate cancer

• Like 3

On 3/21/2023 at 11:54 PM, sunburnwilly said:

Well this is awkward .

Wish me luck !   

Don't feel awkward, many of us have gone through cancer.  I am a 2 time survivor.  One was prostate cancer, surgery 8 years ago this month; the year I turned 57.  I will pray for you, brother. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Travis In Austin said:

Sunburn Willy was scheduled for surgery today I believe. Anyone hear how that’s went?

Yesterday I had transurethral prostate resection surgery . Doc says it went well and I should have some long needed relief from my issues . Man , today before I left the hospital I felt pretty good and then the meds wore off . Wow , I've not experienced a kidney stone but the feeling has to be similar . Got phenoxopyridine to help but it hasn't kicked in yet . The pain is fairly intense when I urinate but mostly subsides after a few minutes . Stream is much stronger but darn if I don't feel that I've had a Urethral Rootering .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2