What DAC & Amp are you using with Heritage Speakers

JMeader

I agree with Shakeydeal, a Schiit Aegir with a pair of LaScalas sounds damn fine. I got my Aegir in early November 2021 and most days I have classical music coming out of the LaScalas 10-12 hours a day, but some days I listen to classic rock & roll.

• Like 2

DAC - Audio Alchemy DDE v1.1 / Power Station 3 (bought this 20 years ago for CDs - time for an upgrade!)

dbx 3BX-DS expander

Preamp - HH Scott 130

Amps - Dynaco MKIII / GSI driver boards

Speakers - Klipschorns

Recently picked up a Schiit Modi+ for streaming Amazon Unlimited

• Like 1

System 1

DAC - PS Audio

Preamp - Ashly ne24.24m DSP

Amplifier - ATI 1506 set up to tri-amp 2 speakers

Speaker - Klipschorns (1998)

Have a new Topping D90SE MQA yet to try in this system

System 2

DAC - Yamaha WXC-50 (internal)

Pre-Amplifier - Yamaha WXC-50

Amplifier - Two Carver M4.0t set up to bi amp

Speakers - Klipschorns (1980)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

2B8BAB41-AA36-4C15-8D9E-D70CD309DD9A.thumb.jpeg.2fd38b32c15b62cada48441daf20dc6b.jpeg

Aiyima T8 DAC/preamp > Aiyima A07 amp > Heresy 1.

I’ve got some NOS GE 5670W tubes on the way to try in place of the Russian 6N3P tube that comes with the DAC.

The A07 amp sounds great on the Heresy's and I tried it on the modded LS in the living room and it sounded great there as well.

This is replacing a Yamaha RX-V565 which just sounded thin and clinical by comparison to the A07.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

DAC - Yamaha CD-S2100 (internal)  

Amp - Yamaha A-S2200 integrated.                                      + Schiit Modius tone controls

Speakers - Chorus II.                                                                          Head-Fi system:                               Schiit Bifrost 2 DAC

Schiit Modius tone controls

Schiit Jotunheim headphone amp

ifi Zen Stream 

Klipsch HP-3 headphones...

Streaming Tidal...sounds fantastic!

The DAC is the one inside the Yamaha RX-A2060 AVR/preamp, driving an Electro-Voice Dx38 24-bit audio processor, which replaces the crossovers in the speakers, and the power amps are Yamaha MX-D1 models, one for bass, one for treble.  They're driving modded and bi-amped La Scala IIs with K402 tweeter horns and K-691 drivers from the last generation of the Underground Jubilees, so they're often called JubScala IIs.

For Surround duty, two original La Scalas are used for Surround, wile a Belle Klipsch is Front Centre and a Heresy III is Rear Centre, for a 6.2 system, driven by the RX-A2060.  A pair of Paradigm Seismic 110 subwoofers cover the bottom octaves, for both Surround and 2-channel listening.

For headphone listening, a DragonFly Red (with JitterBug) is used with the iPad, and a DragonFly Cobalt is used with the MacBook.  The headphones are the AudioQuest NightOwl Carbon.

So if you're waiting your turn to audition the Freya N or the Modius, does that mean you're on the shop's Schiit list?  There've been lots of jokes about the Schiit name already, so there can't be many left unsaid.

I alternate:

Mac 1500 receiver

or 

Professional Studio Engineering (PSE) Studio SL Pre and Studio 4 Amp

Bluesound Node streamer with DAC
or 

Schiit Modi 3 DAC

Speakers......Spendor BC-1 but looking for set of Klipsch Belle  

Edited by chronometers
spell

Hello,

The best set up (when I received the Khorn at home):
- Halcro Reference DM68 & D10

- Merging Nadac

It was really great but the Khorn buying was iniated by a downsize decision and the electronic's part was to sale.

First replacement, an all in one Marantz (M CR611). Digital amp.

Really great for the budget.... but something was missing. The marantz is still at home, used by my son who is quite happy with.

Evolution, an integrated from Spec Corp (japan), the M3.

Analog class D amp. Very subtil and detailled, great amplification.

It was completed by a Lumin D2 and a dedicated audio pc (fanless, with Roon).

Next evolution, back to tube with a 2A3 Push Pull from Atelier du Triode (Italian brand).

Tones are a little bit more richer, a very good match that is able to play loudly when needed.

Last, the digital upgrade. Exit the Lumin and pc for a CAD 1543 (computer audio design) and an Innuos Zen.

Step by step the result is improved, even if it was possible to live a full life with the small Marantz.

One of the good thing with the Khorn, you can test succesfully a lot of amps on with great results.

Why choosing at the end a tube amp ? Question of background. I lived most of my audio life with tube amps, mainly 300B. Why the 2A3 ? Question of opportunity, I wanted a push pull to have some watts and kick and the price was "reasonnable".

Best

Edited by Ugo Angel

I have kind of an oddball setup as I use balanced matrix switches for all my sources so I can send my dac to all my systems being fed by the following;

-Oppo Hap HA-1 DAC with the following inputs

— Oppo BD-95

—Sonos Port

—TEAC PD-501 CD Player

—Sony HAPZ1-ES

System 1

-Yamaha CX-5200

- ATI AT-2007 (7 Channels 200W)

- ATI AT 2004 (4 channels 200W)

- Oppo BDP-205

System 2

- Rogue Audio Pharoah

System 3

- Luxman Cl-38uC

- Rogue ST-100 AMP

System 4

_ Rogue Audio RP-7 preamp

- Rogue Audio Atlas magnum II

System 5

Yamaha RX-A5000 preamp

Elekit TU-8800 amp

‘This is all feeding 2 LA Scala AL5 speakers, except when using system 1, then a center La Scala AL5 and ForteIV’s for surround duty kick in.

On 5/20/2023 at 9:08 PM, Fido said:

Primaluna EVO400 Integrated - with KT150s

Denefrips Pontus Dac

Node 2i Streamer with external power supply

Forte Iv Speakers

Great Synergy and love listening at low levels to rock concert levels

Have you tried running any EL34 family power tubes in your Primaluna? I found I preferred the KT77's and the Tung-Sol EL34's with my Forte IV's. Midrange magic. Less bass but can move the speakers closer to the wall to compensate.  I also tried KT88's and KT120s but did not like them as much. Less musical and less of that "in the room" tube presence. 

Edited by Bananas and Blow

On 5/29/2023 at 2:55 AM, Bananas and Blow said:

Have you tried running any EL34 family power tubes in your Primaluna? I found I preferred the KT77's and the Tung-Sol EL34's with my Forte IV's. Midrange magic. Less bass but can move the speakers closer to the wall to compensate.  I also tried KT88's and KT120s but did not like them as much. Less musical and less of that "in the room" tube presence. 

-0-

Edited by Fido