REL T7/x with La Scala

svberger

Anybody have experience with this combo and can pass along thoughts? I have a $1000 budget and considering stepping into the the sub arena. As some know, I've been skeptical about subs with my LS"s, but after speaking to a few "trusted advisors" I'm strongly considering this sub. I know that stereo subs are preferred by many, and if anybody thinks I could do better within budget with two of something else would be happy to hear from them. I also know that folded horn subs are also preferred for horns by others but I'm not going down that road at this time.  I've head very good things about how fast the REL's are and the ease of implementing them into a system and those qualities, plus how they look, is why I'm leaning in that direction.

Thanks.

svberger, i am very curious about your impressions when the time comes, no matter which sub you will choose. As you know, I also have 1977 LaScalas. I love them as they are but I am open to such attempts.

1 hour ago, KT88 said:

svberger, i am very curious about your impressions when the time comes, no matter which sub you will choose. As you know, I also have 1977 LaScalas. I love them as they are but I am open to such attempts.

I'll let you know. I'm getting closer, mostly out wanting to try a quality sub out and once and for all determine if it fills in some hole that I don't know that I have.

Have you ever tried a sub out with your LS's? And if not, why? Obviously I'm not in disagreement with you that I think they sound just fine as is, but what with the overwhelming opinion here and elsewhere that one is somehow missing a great deal by not adding one I'd be interested in your dissent. As I value your comments/opinion, Maybe you can help talk me down once and for all😉

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, svberger said:

I'll let you know. I'm getting closer, mostly out wanting to try a quality sub out and once and for all determine if it fills in some hole that I don't know that I have.

Have you ever tried a sub out with your LS's? And if not, why? Obviously I'm not in disagreement with you that I think they sound just fine as is, but what with the overwhelming opinion here and elsewhere that one is somehow missing a great deal by not adding one I'd be interested in your dissent. As I value your comments/opinion, Maybe you can help talk me down once and for all😉

I can't really answer why I have never tried a sub with the LaScalas. When I listen to them, which is very often, I don't really miss anything. What they perform they do in a magical way. I would really have to try listening to them with a sub. While my experience tells me it's perhaps not a good match, I have to admit that I may be underestimating modern new subs. When I listen to another speaker from my small collection I get nice deep bass. E.g. the Tannoy Canterbury. But it doesn't have that combination of lightness and spontaneous energy in the bass that the LaScala has. Even though it plays a whole octave lower. My Underground Jubilees have that freshness like the LaScala with more deep bass. But although the UJ work well in medium living rooms as my I would like to combine them with a much larger room that I do not have, something the size of a classroom of a school, then it would probably marry more with the room. Maybe that's one secret of the relatively compact LaScala...you sacrifice some low bass but it enters into a relationship with a medium sized room as a whole experience. As I said, no listening so far with a sub plus LaScalas.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KT88 said:

I can't really answer why I have never tried a sub with the LaScalas. When I listen to them, which is very often, I don't really miss anything. What they perform they do in a magical way.

Wholeheartedly agree with that magical part!

If it had not been for the impossible one man task (myself) of getting down a tightly constructed complete 360 degree turn staircase leading from the deck to the ground 25 feet below I'd have a pair now.

At very low volume all the way up the presence & response of those LaScalas was awesome!

Many have stated here that horn loaded subs were necessary with fully horn loaded Heritage. Not trying to burst any bubbles, suggesting looking in that direction also.

• Like 3

The front firing Klipsch 12 subs sound pretty good

I believe they have been on sale for $300-400

so buy a pair

I have one  just slightly off center in front of the TV

Sounds pretty good when it's on

A lot of people make their own subs using the kits from parts express

if you like DIY.

There was a company around chicago where they guy was shipping hundreds of subs per month at great prices.

If I think of the name I will post it

Here's a reading assignment for you. Klipsch scores pretty well.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/subwoofer-manufacturers-list.1233372/

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/guide-to-mid-market-subwoofer-manufacturers-700-3000.3238523/

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/best-subwoofers/

https://ddaudio.com/made-in-usa-subwoofers/

https://americanmadeaudio.com/the-list/

• Like 1

It may be just me but I’m not a fan of using a subwoofer with a smaller woofer than my mains have.  That said, Crutchfield.com has the SPL-120 on sale for $499 each.

Or you could look for an SPL-150 that should be discounted to around $1,000 since it’s now discontinued.

• Like 1

I have tried the T7 all the way up to 812.  If you want a sub that does damage like on movies the F113 will do great music and a great job on AV.

I have CWs and the best fit was a REL T9x.   Sounded good enough I eventually got two.   I really am sold on the high level hook up....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KT88 said:

I can't really answer why I have never tried a sub with the LaScalas. When I listen to them, which is very often, I don't really miss anything. What they perform they do in a magical way. I would really have to try listening to them with a sub. While my experience tells me it's perhaps not a good match, I have to admit that I may be underestimating modern new subs. When I listen to another speaker from my small collection I get nice deep bass. E.g. the Tannoy Canterbury. But it doesn't have that combination of lightness and spontaneous energy in the bass that the LaScala has. Even though it plays a whole octave lower. My Underground Jubilees have that freshness like the LaScala with more deep bass. But although the UJ work well in medium living rooms as my I would like to combine them with a much larger room that I do not have, something the size of a classroom of a school, then it would probably marry more with the room. Maybe that's one secret of the relatively compact LaScala...you sacrifice some low bass but it enters into a relationship with a medium sized room as a whole experience. As I said, no listening so far with a sub plus LaScalas.

45 minutes ago, Bubo said:

The front firing Klipsch 12 subs sound pretty good

I believe they have been on sale for $300-400

so buy a pair

I have one  just slightly off center in front of the TV

Sounds pretty good when it's on

A lot of people make their own subs using the kits from parts express

if you like DIY.

There was a company around chicago where they guy was shipping hundreds of subs per month at great prices.

If I think of the name I will post it

Here's a reading assignment for you. Klipsch scores pretty well.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/subwoofer-manufacturers-list.1233372/

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/guide-to-mid-market-subwoofer-manufacturers-700-3000.3238523/

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/best-subwoofers/

https://ddaudio.com/made-in-usa-subwoofers/

https://americanmadeaudio.com/the-list/

2 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

It may be just me but I’m not a fan of using a subwoofer with a smaller woofer than my mains have.  That said, Crutchfield.com has the SPL-120 on sale for $499 each.

Or you could look for an SPL-150 that should be discounted to around $1,000 since it’s now discontinued.

Thanks guys for the really helpful comments.

My main concern is that I've had the opportunity to use a couple of older subs in the past, borrowed from friends, and they never did anything from me. Could definitely just be a problem of the wrong sub, or my failure to integrate it properly. Which is why I was thinking that if I'm  going to commit, commit with a high quality(or whatever quality a $1000 will get me) sub once and for all, figuring if I don't like it, I can sell it. One reason I was considering the REL was it's sold through Amazon, and I can return it if it's not for me after a few days.

As for the Klipsch suggestion, my hesitancy is getting a product that generally isn't highly regarded, is much less expensive then the option usually recommended, and that the major complaint is that they tend to be somewhat boomy. Like I said, I kinda want this to be an end of discussion purchase where I can definitively say I gave it a good shot and it wasn't for me, if that ends up being the result.

2 minutes ago, roninklipsch said:

I have tried the T7 all the way up to 812.  If you want a sub that does damage like on movies the F113 will do great music and a great job on AV.

I have CWs and the best fit was a REL T9x.   Sounded good enough I eventually got two.   I really am sold on the high level hook up....

This would only be for 2 channel music.

I was considering the REL T9 but I don't want to spend that much. But interesting that you found that a 10" was a good fit for the CW's. I doubt I'd use any sub with my CW's, but good to know.

16 minutes ago, svberger said:

Thanks guys for the really helpful comments.

My main concern is that I've had the opportunity to use a couple of older subs in the past, borrowed from friends, and they never did anything from me. Could definitely just be a problem of the wrong sub, or my failure to integrate it properly. Which is why I was thinking that if I'm  going to commit, commit with a high quality(or whatever quality a $1000 will get me) sub once and for all, figuring if I don't like it, I can sell it. One reason I was considering the REL was it's sold through Amazon, and I can return it if it's not for me after a few days.

As for the Klipsch suggestion, my hesitancy is getting a product that generally isn't highly regarded, is much less expensive then the option usually recommended, and that the major complaint is that they tend to be somewhat boomy. Like I said, I kinda want this to be an end of discussion purchase where I can definitively say I gave it a good shot and it wasn't for me, if that ends up being the result.

I think that the Amazon purchase is the best choice you can do because you can return it. Whether it ends up being REL or another brand is not as critical as the basic question of the principle of subs together with your LS. And the REL will give you a clear answer if you are happy with it in principle or not. I don't know what you'll decide. It is not clear in my view if the sub is a "must". With a CW a radial sub would be better integrated but the CW doesn't need it at all in my view.

• Like 1

I think this is good example of what works for the individual.   Makes the hobby fun.

I think the CW goes down to 34Hz. That's pretty low.  But listening to a lot of music the bottom drops out when I turn the subs off.  That's enough for  me to illustrate why I had subs with every speaker I have owned from Focal to Dyn to Wilson.

Listening to piano or acoustic guitar they hardly move. But I like rock, jazz etc.

Another dealer you might try is The Music Room.  Ask about the 7 and 9.  Ask for Nick.  He is top notch ...

I belive you have 30 day return and free shipping to you (not back).

You may also find a used one.

Good luck!

• Like 1

@svberger

I know I've said this before in other subwoofer threads, but no matter what sub you get you should consider buying a DSP Antimode eq. It was the best 400.00 I've spent in a long time. After getting  your sub dialed in run some test tones and identify your peaks, I bet you will have a couple. This thing will flatten them right out.

https://www.dspeaker.com/anti-mode-8033

• Like 2

19 hours ago, 82 Cornwalls said:

@svberger

Another recommendation for the REL T series; I think in your system 2 will be required to get the REaL benefit.

Thanks.

Two T7's now is really not in the cards. It would exceed the amount that I have budgeted for now, plus in my room there is barely enough room for one.

Which  REL are you using, and are you using with CW's or some other Heritage model?