REL T7/x with La Scala

svberger

10 hours ago, svberger said:

Which  REL are you using, and are you using with CW's or some other Heritage model?

Several years ago I had two T7i paired with ATC SCM 11v2 monitors; I sold almost all of that system when I decided to retire early.

The only reason I have CWs is because I was able to buy them for $100 (added another $108 restoring).

My priorities have changed, so even though I love what well integrated subs provide, I no longer use them.

For music , I would run your LS full range ( as you are currently) and augment the low end with a big  corner loaded HSU . Hard to beat this set up. This will allow  the LS to provide all the impact and immediacy that we love about the Lascala , and merely pick up where the Lascala falls off 🤓

Rel instructs owners to run their mains full range , including with home theatre . This allows the Rel to sound bigger than it actually is ,which is not a bad thing ,especially when being paired with the mighty Klipsch Lascala , they also claim better integration this way . I agree with this , and I believe that there are other advantages as well , particularly in the case of Khorn and Lascala .🤓

I agree, it would be too bad to sacrifice some of LaScala's bass transmission where it still plays. The quality of the LaScala at 55 Hz, for example, is definitely on a completely different level than that of any sub with a direct radiator, which has to strain and pump a lot, accompanied by poorer quality and smaller radiating surface, which means increased distortion. Even if some members will note that the horn of the LaScala bass could not work quite so deep but the tones are „there“.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you're going to add large subs to augment your La Scalas, you shoul get (or build) some MWM cabinets. The clarity and effortless quality of the bass will be worth whatever space the take up. Then get a different top end to go with them.

That is a pretty good deal. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have anyway to connect to my speaker outputs on my amp, which is the only way I want to connect a sub to the system. It's one of the reasons I was considering REL.

1 hour ago, svberger said:

That is a pretty good deal. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have anyway to connect to my speaker outputs on my amp, which is the only way I want to connect a sub to the system. It's one of the reasons I was considering REL.

Speaker level to line level converter.

More expensive Russound ADP-1.2 ($40), there are cheaper ones.

I picked one up for $30, it works great.

Russound ADP-1.2 Speaker-level to Line-level Adapter Front

• Like 2

svberger,

I've compared the the T5, T7 and T9 all in the same room. The T5i was my favorite of them all . The reason is because the other two are front firing and had to work harder to get the same bass as the T5. The T5 is actively down-firing, but the speed at which it performed was absolutely astonishing. Since it uses the floor as a reflector, it was just noticeably more effortless. Also, because the driver is only 8" it moves extremely fast. It's amazing how much bass they deliver. Even Blade Runner 2049 which has extremely deep lows come through amazingly well, yet it's very musical at the same time. I've also experimented with open the open baffle sub which I also reviewed in the link below if that helps. It too is equally fast and amazing. Good luck. drD E