Can anyone tell me about these speakers?

Jsmith77

I inherited a pair of speakers from my father I've been using that sound great.  Trying to find when these were made and if worth anything thanks! Label on back says LA Scala loudspeaker system. Type L5-BR or LS. Serial number 4N648. Then signed on inspected and tested.

Edited by Jsmith77

• Jsmith77 changed the title to Can anyone tell me about these speakers?
2 hours ago, Jsmith77 said:

I inherited a pair of speakers from my father I've been using that sound great.  Trying to find when these were made and if worth anything thanks! Label on back says LA Scala loudspeaker system. Type L5-BR or LS. Serial number 4N648. Then signed on inspected and tested.

Keep them if you can

You won't find a better pair of speakers at any price.

If you decide to keep them, we can help you to freshen them up if needed.

While the speakers are large, a 12-16ft room works just fine

Most put glass tops on them so you can use them like tables if needed

I use mine as speaker stands for some smaller klipsch speakers in my Tv system.

Hope you are able to keep them and get years of happiness every time you turn them on

Did your father also leave you an amplifier and other gear ?

• Like 3

Your father had great taste!  Those are keepers imo.  Things you could do now possibly but if they're both sounding great there's no sense in spending the money.  Several different forum members can help you with certified repair parts if you decide not to do the work yourself.  Great group with tons of knowledge.  Just about any receiver will drive them because they're very efficient.  Crank 'em up but take care of them.  Your father knew what they were or he wouldn't have bought them.  Crank it up and relax.  :)  Welcome to the Forum.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jsmith77 said:

He left two sets his inlaws received the others. I got a old Sony amplifier from the 70s with them that has a record player. I would like to keep them, but I'm moving into a 5th wheel on some land so there's limited room unfortunately.

Post some photos of the speakers here inc the backs and labels and the circuit board and a good shot of the back of the horn driver looks like half of a softball in size. The condition and the photos of the components determine the price. Get the label on the circuit board. Show any defects in the photos and note them.

11 hours ago, Jsmith77 said:

He left two sets his inlaws recieved the others. I got a old Sony amplifier from the 70s with them that has a record player. I would like to keep them, but I'm moving into a 5th wheel on some land so there's limited room unfortunately.

You'd be surprised what you can fit into a 5th wheel, if you want to.  I have klf 20s, tangent 500s, 15"sub and a bunch of surrounds in an RV. 

Like other say, you can have them do double duty as a table. Or in my case shelves....

Driving is a concern, but you are parking on land.  This is my plan also.  I'm only moving one more time.

I'd keep them.  But then again, I keep ALL of them!!

• Like 2

IF you store them (that hurt typing that) make sure you bag them in large plastic bags.  Those nasty meeces/critters will move in and nest/chew up everything they can.  Load em up and go!  Grab a receiver and go air mobile.  They'll sound pretty darn nice out in the middle of no where.   :)

• Like 2

Agree, if you put into storage shed, mice and bugs will move in if there is a way.

you would have to seal the front and back with 1/4 plywood with no gaps and probably bag the unit too in case of roof leaks. Also off the ground on blocks since cement wicks and will dry rot wood.

Climate controlled unit on the second floor of a storage building, would still have to bag them to keep the critters out. But better. Get one with a light and an electrical outlet if you can. I have used these in the past and been very happy with them.

Pics ?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

No pics needed. He's gonna be a wise man and load 'em up!  :)

I'm still thinking we should reviews his drivers, and the crossovers.

Don't want them to crap out in the middle of a remote Canadian National Park.

• Haha 1

Play 'em til they quit and you come back to civilization.  You won't have to load/and unload them as much.  There's that.   😂  IF he sells them I'm sure he can post all that in here or whatever platform he lists them on.  If he wants to fix them then we can do that too.  😂   Just my .02 worth.  :)

• 2 weeks later...