KG4 Crossover Identification

Don A

Hell everyone, I just recently purchased my first pair of passive speakers, the Klipsch KG4. I opened them up, and the crossovers are different. Can anyone help me identify what's going on? Looks like maybe some are the originals and the others were replaced. Thank you. Crossovers

10 minutes ago, billybob said:

Think the x-over on the bottom is original but how do they sound?

Welcome @Don A

tagging @Deang for you.

To my untrained ears, they sound great. I don't notice a different between the two, but again, I don't have a lot of experience with quality speakers. I opened them up just out of curiosity to see what had been updated and what was original. They do have the titanium diaphragm upgrades, but I don't know enough about crossovers to know what I'm looking at when it comes to those. Getting these has definitely ignited something in me, and I think I've stepped foot on the slippery slope of audio equipment. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Don A said:

Can anyone help me identify what's going on? Looks like maybe some are the originals and the others were replaced. Thank you. Crossovers

Welcome to the forum and the land of Klipsch! The KG-4's are a great gateway speaker very nice for what they are but it can get quite a bit better the further up the chain you go. The crossovers to me both look stock if I had to guess I'd say the one with the board is a newer version either the pair aren't matched serial number wise or this was a transition pair where they used the last one of the previous type and started using the new type. I wouldn't worry about them if they sound good to you. 

• Like 2

Thank you all for your input. Tags are gone on the back, is there any other way to find out serial number? I don't see it stamped anywhere. Also, does anyone have any guidance on where to go next? Such a crazy amount of information out there - Heresy 1-4, Forte 1-2, Quintet, Chorus, other KGs - my mind is spinning. 

Edited by Don A

On 3/31/2023 at 5:56 PM, Don A said:

Getting these has definitely ignited something in me, and I think I've stepped foot on the slippery slope of audio equipment. 

Yes, it can be a very slippery slope.

Take a few deep breaths and don't look for other models for a while. Just stash some money aside every couple of weeks until a deal comes up and you'll be ready for it.

Depending on where you live, there may be some Klipsch heads near you who could then let you hear other models. It's a very deep hole... Did you follow a white rabbit by chance?

Screenshot_20230401-201049_Firefox~3.jpg

• Like 2