Cd Bon-Bons #2

JohnA

This has failed twice before ....

The other thread was getting too long.

I've recently discovered that Dave Brubeck's landmark 1959 recording "Time Out" has been rereleased on CD (this is the original "Take Five"). The results are fantastic! The location of the 4 musicians is perfect and rock stable. It is the best recording of a drum kit I've ever heard! Simple techniques were used, maybe only 4 mics. It's simply magic!

John

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John, I have several versions of Brubeck's "Take Five"... which one do you mean? I sure would not want to miss it. By the way, do you have the vintage cut where Joe Murello on drums lets out a muffled chuckle after getting through a really weird timing structure? HornEd

------------------

"Klipsch by the Dozen"

KLF 30's Front Mains

KLF C-7 Front Center

KSW-15 Front Pwr Sub

SB-2 Front Effects

KSW-12 + KLF 10 Rear L&R

KSW-12 + KLF 10 Rear Ctr.

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080 65"

Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

The Mother of All Dynamic Recordingsf>s>

I asked in a post on the Bon Bons thread Part 1 if anyone had heard of Flim & The BBs. Well, no one responded, perhaps because that thread is too huge, so I took it upon myself to scour my own memory banks and shuffle through the internet until I found what I was looking for. Then I decided to post to this thread instead!

Back in 1985, a friend showed me his newest toy; this dad-blamed contraption he called a CD player. The first disc he slid in was this jazz piece by an unknown band called Flim & The BBs. The song he played was called "Tricycle" and it was off the album with the same name. I had to check my shorts afterward, as many GIs in Vietnam had to do when they were startled by an explosion. Well, it's not THAT bad, but this tune will certainly test the limits of both your amplifier and your speakers! The dynamic range is simply spectacular, and the musicianship is flawless. I wouldn't recommend cranking this piece on a pair of aging woofer cones, as you may be sending the drivers to be re-coned. However, if your speakers are in fine fettle, and you are looking for a slightly overproduced, but still satisfying piece of power jazz from a fiercely tight trio (I think it's a trio), then go out and have a listen. You won't be disappointed.

Mr. Blorry

I agree! I am a fan of Flim & the BB's! I have "Tricycle", "The Further Adventures of Flim & the BB's, and my favorite, "Big Notes". These CD's are recorded very well indeed. On some tracks you can hear the valves open on the saxaphone!

To learn if you will like the Flim, go to your favorite cd e-store and sample track #2: "Heart Throb" from the Album "Big Notes" or go here:

http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=1345668589/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/ArtistID=FLIM+&+BB%27S/ITEMID=335954

On track #11, there is some low bass near the 4 minute mark. I have never heard this track played correctly on any system (regardless of price) at any appreciable volume level.

Another well recorded CD in my collection: "Between Father Sky and Mother Earth". This is native-american music. Worth the cost of this CD for tracks #4 & #14. My favorite track is #14: "500 Drums". If your spouse still loves you after 8 minutes of tom-toms, you should consider yourself lucky!

• 2 weeks later...

One of the nicest-sounding CDs in my collection is Alan Parsons, "Try Anything Once". It's kind of ELP-like in that the music is beautiful if you can ignore the painfully bad lyrics. For example: "there's no use in trying to sit on the fence/and hope that the trouble will pass/'cause sitting on fences/can make you a pain in the ***"

Other than that, it has a little bit of everything to really give the speakers a workout: woodwinds, violin, sax, drums, electric guitar, and the occasional symphony orchestra. And it's all arranged beautifully, as would be excpected from the guy who produced "Dark Side of the Moon".

Mr. Blorry....Thanks for the tip on Flim....Going to order from CD Now...They have a limited edition of Tricycle released in 1994 in addition to the original 1982 release...better recording?...anyone know?...anyone interested in jazz, classical, or chamber music should check out the custom recordings done by the folks at Stereophile Magazine...outstanding...go to their site and click on recordings...CD test discs are cool too...

Well, here's a sort of contrary viewpoint on Flim and the BBs...

I have Tricycle, Big Notes and Neon. I got them back in the mid to lates 80's when there weren't skillywags of CD's available.

In my humble opinion (oops, sorry, IMHO) these CDs, and the band, show us an interesting glimpse of a new talent, Tom Jung, very early in his career when he was one of the few producers who really bought into the whole concept of 100% digital recording and editing, with no analog stage in the recording, editing, mixing, mastering or production chain. The group (Flim and the BBs) happened to be available as a source of something to record.

This music is typically catalogued under "light jazz", but it tends more toward the "light" than the "jazz". Yeah, it's very, very well recorded, will demonstrate your system's dynamics and resolution, has great imaging, but the music is, well, very soul-less. In fact, on Big Notes, the fourth cut, Funhouse, was written (uh, generated?) by a COMPUTER (IBM PC circla 80286 vintage) based on some rules-based concepts one of the guys came up with. The sound you hear is "untouched by human hands", having been conceived, and produced, totally within the little silicon brain and fed digitally directly into the master recording console.

Before you buy one of these CD's based on their (almost legendary) status as "audiophile quality recordings", be SURE you listen to some samples - like these:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B000003DCT001004/107-2552822-6758952

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B000003DCT001001/107-2552822-6758952

to make sure this is the kind of music you'd enjoy listening to.

Ray

I bought "Tricycle" used through Amazon.com after hearing the clips. It is recorded well and has HUGE dynamic range. It caused Cathy to jump, startled, in the first cut. However, the performance is weak and there are several mistakes left on the release. The whole CD sounds like there was no rehearsal done beforehand.

It's still a neat demo disc.

John

Dark Side of the Moon is an excellent choice. Especially the remastered version. The Wall is my all-time Pink Floyd favorite, though.

By the way, has anyone here tried playing DSoTM while watching Wizard of Oz? As the story goes, if you start playing the album as the MGM lion roars for the third time, the instrumentation in the album as well as many of the lyrics synchronize almost perfectly with the movie. I tried it. It wasn't a mind-blowing experience, but some parts seemed close enough to make me wonder if it was intentional. My favorite part was where "The Great Gig in the Sky" matched the house blowing around in the tornado almost perfectly, then "Money" started the instant Dorothy stepped into the Emerald City. Very cool.

Nobody mentioned the only Flim and the BBs CD I own; "This Is A Recording", from '92. I'd definitely recommend it, especially on sonic grounds - great!

May have to find "Take Five", what with the strong positives here. Isn't it a jazz classic? (Yes, I am that ignorant of jazz, but my collection is growing.)

Something I would strongly recommend for both musical and audio merit is "Restless On The Farm", by Jerry Douglas. It's no bluegrass album (but there is some bg on it), but more of a contemporary folk / world music thing. Whatever you call it, it's great. Think Kentucky to Ireland, by way of India, and you've just about got it.

------------------

JDMcCall

quote:

Originally posted by xr7segfault:

By the way, has anyone here tried playing DSoTM while watching Wizard of Oz?

My daughter exposed that to me about 2 years ago -- it was very surreal!!! If you restart the album as soon as it completes, the synchonization continues, if I recall correctly.

'the great gig in the sky' on pf dso'moon is INCREDIBLE on klipsch speak's!!! the female vocals are the highlight, you can hear every breath... pink floyd/wizard of oz combo will make the hair on your neck stand up!! watch the part when they sing: up,up,up, and down,down,down.. pay attention to the witch's movements.. yes that's really what i think-oh!by the way-which one's pink?