Klipsch KG 4.2 Project

Well, I didn't really want to do another 4.2 restoration, but one set became available locally with a blown tweeter and the guy just wanted to get rid of it. (He swears that once I replaced the tweeter it would be worth $400!  hahaha, I guess he's getting his pricing off of eBay!) I'm a teacher and it's my spring break, so I thought I would try to breathe some new life into this one! 

The guy said it was in really nice condition.  I'm really starting to see a huge gap between what I think is good condition and what the rest of society thinks is good condition.  These were average at best with a lot of dings and scratches to the cabinets, including the corners, along with the famous water ring on the top of one of them.  After I purchased them, I knew these weren't going to be showroom condition, but I figured I'll try and do them some justice. 

Today I sanded the cabinets.  The veneer is no where near matching, so there goes the plan of staining them like I have done in the past.  So, these will be a paint finish...boo!  I also rounded the front edges and added some bracing with scrap wood I had.

The tweeter diaphragm is on the way and should be here soon.  I have to grab some paint the next time I'm out near a home depot. 

IMG_7590.jpg

IMG_7592.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I usually don't do this, but I added damping material to the back of the horn.  Some people swear up and down that they can hear a difference!  (I'm guessing the same people that pay $1,000's of dollars for speaker cables, pucks to keep them off the floor, etc.) The only difference I hear is when I tap on the horn when it's not playing. It has a quicker decay.  When the music is actually playing, I can't hear any difference. (Yes, I did an A/B comparison when I had multiple sets of these.)  I thought I would post pics so that people can see what I did and what material I used.

IMG_7811.jpg

IMG_7812.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/5/2023 at 5:55 PM, Iteachstem said:

The guy said it was in really nice condition.  I'm really starting to see a huge gap between what I think is good condition and what the rest of society thinks is good condition

This^ so much. Countless adds with “excellent condition” only to open the pics and see things that appear to have fallen off a moving truck. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I set this picture up a long time ago to do a parody of many of the adds on the sales apps like CL, offerup, marketplace, etc.  The funny thing is that this and another tweeter were in a semi-nice group of speakers (4 towers and a center) that the guy swore were in perfect condition.  Withing 2 seconds of him putting on music to demo I could tell that something was way off! 2 out of the 5 tweeters were toast!  How can you not tell that?  At least he was not one of those guys that swears everything works and only meets you at a public place were he can't verify that everything works.  He did make it right and knock off a little $ once I showed him what was wrong.

Tweeter For Sale- Used only twice!  Has been in storage for the last several years.  It worked the last time I used it.  I have no way to test it.  Selling for a friend! Excellent condition! 

IMG_2046.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Iteachstem said:

I set this picture up a long time ago to do a parody of many of the adds on the sales apps like CL, offerup, marketplace, etc.  The funny thing is that this and another tweeter were in a semi-nice group of speakers (4 towers and a center) that the guy swore were in perfect condition.  Withing 2 seconds of him putting on music to demo I could tell that something was way off! 2 out of the 5 tweeters were toast!  How can you not tell that?  At least he was not one of those guys that swears everything works and only meets you at a public place were he can't verify that everything works.  He did make it right and knock off a little $ once I showed him what was wrong.

Tweeter For Sale- Used only twice!  Has been in storage for the last several years.  It worked the last time I used it.  I have no way to test it.  Selling for a friend! Excellent condition! 

IMG_2046.jpg

Had a similar run-in with some, let’s say eccentric, individual on his pair of “mint” KG4s. I get there and he’s got crap parked on top of one, of course leaving digs and scratches, most of the dust caps are dented in, they’re refinished in some high gloss black with some of it sloppily on the motorboard—and the kicker, one of the tweeters, completely dead. Mint!

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

They were listed locally for a long time and apparently I felt the need to rescue them. I bought them for $150, threw a new diaphragm in them, sanded, routed, added some internal bracing, damping and a little paint.   (Wow!  Paint has really increased in price!!!)   So, I think I did an okay job of bringing these back to life again and they can bring happiness to someone for many years to come.  I listed them locally for $250.  If anyone one the forum is interested, let me know and I'll give you a better price.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2023 at 6:16 PM, Iteachstem said:

They were listed locally for a long time and apparently I felt the need to rescue them. I bought them for $150, threw a new diaphragm in them, sanded, routed, added some internal bracing, damping and a little paint.   (Wow!  Paint has really increased in price!!!)   So, I think I did an okay job of bringing these back to life again and they can bring happiness to someone for many years to come.  I listed them locally for $250.  If anyone one the forum is interested, let me know and I'll give you a better price.

Hey stem, do you do great work…. I have these speakers in black as well, and I’m thinking about refinishing them. Just curious as to what kind of paint you used.?  

• Thanks 1