Zopari

Zopari

Best Tube Amps for Klipschorn AK6s?  

Hi there! We are opening a public listening room and wine bar (roughly 26' x 35') in Atlanta, GA and are going to use a pair of Klipschhorn AK6s for the loudspeakers. Does anyone have a tube amp set up with these that they would recommend? Also, I would be interested in traveling anywhere on the east coast or southeast to hear them as there are no showrooms that have them down here, or would at least love to chat with anyone that has some experience with them. Thank you! 

• Like 1

• Moderators
23 hours ago, Zopari said:

Hi there! We are opening a public listening room and wine bar (roughly 26' x 35') in Atlanta, GA and are going to use a pair of Klipschhorn AK6s for the loudspeakers. Does anyone have a tube amp set up with these that they would recommend? Also, I would be interested in traveling anywhere on the east coast or southeast to hear them as there are no showrooms that have them down here, or would at least love to chat with anyone that has some experience with them. Thank you! 

Sweet! 

you will get a lot of responses here on this. 

what’s the budget on the Tube Amp and preamp?

lots of Georgia people here.

• Like 1

I use an Elekit 8600s with Western Electric 300b tubes to drive my 1972 Khorns. You might be able to hear this amp at the Western Electric factory in Georgia or you can read about it in Stereophile mag review linked at the Tube Depot (https://www.tubedepot.com/products/elekit-tu-8600-300b-se-tube-amplifier-kit-limited-run). (https://www.stereophile.com/content/gramophone-dreams-48-venus-tube-western-electrics-300b)

On 4/8/2023 at 9:49 AM, Zopari said:

Hi there! We are opening a public listening room and wine bar (roughly 26' x 35') in Atlanta, GA and are going to use a pair of Klipschhorn AK6s for the loudspeakers. Does anyone have a tube amp set up with these that they would recommend? 

That's a pretty large space you'll want something with some power Bob Carver is releasing a new amplifier set to ship in approx. 6 weeks model 285 rated at 85 watts x's 2. Right now there is a preorder option with $1k off retail for a limited number of amps. Picture show copper color this has been changed to chrome. 

https://www.bobcarvercorp.com/product-page/bob-carver-ram285-stereo-2-x85-watts-vacuum-tube-amplifier

Carver285.png

I don't think you will need a lot of power with AK6s in that room, any push/pull amp with 20+ watts should do. There are many choices; Rogue Audio and Quicksilver Audio have both been around for many years making very good amplifiers.

• Moderators
15 hours ago, jjptkd said:

That's a pretty large space you'll want something with some power Bob Carver is releasing a new amplifier set to ship in approx. 6 weeks model 285 rated at 85 watts x's 2. Right now there is a preorder option with $1k off retail for a limited number of amps. Picture show copper color this has been changed to chrome. 

https://www.bobcarvercorp.com/product-page/bob-carver-ram285-stereo-2-x85-watts-vacuum-tube-amplifier

Carver285.png

I would stay the hell away from anything Mr. Carver is doing until he gets the kinks worked out on his new company that he had to wrestle away. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
16 hours ago, Zopari said:

Hey @Travis In Austin, I'd say we wouldn't want to spend more than $10,000 for the preamp and tube amp combined. 

And thank you @pnort! I'll have to do the Western Electric tour sometime. That's so cool they're right here in Georgia.

Take a look at Cary, they will even match the wood of your AK6s with special wood trim. They are (or were) a specific Klipsch Heritage partner. 

Also take a look at tool shed amps, there amps were used by Klipsch with AK6 at a few shows. 

The fall back is, and everyone knows this, Khorns love McIntosh. All day, every day. There are a ton of Khorn owners with McIntosh. 

• Like 2

Well, I don't have to try anything else. I have Leak Stereo 20, Quad II Monos, Audion Silvernight, Mcintosh MC 2102, MC 275 MK4 and some others. I would go for the MC 275 any day, in my case with the Partner C22CE. I would make the claim, "it has to be something different" on the Italian espresso machine, but not exclude the Mcintosh amps for the sake of wanting to be different. For daily use, when it's always like this in the background, I use a Quad 306 current dumping amp together with the pre C22CE. Forbidden good sound.

On 4/9/2023 at 6:14 PM, pnort said:

You might be able to hear this amp at the Western Electric factory in Georgia or you can read about it in Stereophile mag review linked at the Tube Depot...

While the owner of WE (office and plant in Rossville, GA, less than ten minutes from my house) had a hand in The Tube Depot, I've only seen a prototype of a new WE 300B amp, built on a pcb.

I think you might want an amp with a little more wattage, even if driving Khorns. That's a pretty good size room.

On 4/12/2023 at 12:50 AM, Travis In Austin said:

I would stay the hell away from anything Mr. Carver is doing until he gets the kinks worked out on his new company that he had to wrestle away. 

I would just stay away period, plenty of other options from stable companies that have a history of good design and good service.

On 4/11/2023 at 10:44 AM, jjptkd said:

there is a preorder option with $1k off retail for a limited number of amps.

it's an excellent  price   based on the specs ,   warranty  5 years  ,   looks to me like Carver wants  to compete with Primaluna , 

On 4/12/2023 at 4:57 PM, Zopari said:

Damn, those Tool Shed amps are exquisite. I know McIntosh are a sure bet, but I'd like us to try something a lil different. 

consider an SS Amp as a backup    in case the main Tube amp fails     the Yamaha A-S2200 .

• Moderators
8 hours ago, OO1 said:

it's an excellent  price   based on the specs ,   warranty  5 years  ,   looks to me like Carver wants  to compete with Primaluna , 

Problem is you really can’t trust the specs at this point in time. The other is if it’s going into a commercial setting it’s probably not going to meet code because of a lack of safety certification (UL or similar).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Local bar, Decibel ( https://www.decibel-pdx.com/), here in Portland runs the JJ322 and JJ243. He has WELL over 10000 hours on them in 2.5 years and only recently had to replace one small cap. 

He used to run Klipsch, but now runs a custom horn loaded Altec Setup. 

https://www.jj-electronic.com/en/hi-end-amplifiers

https://www.eurotubes.com/store/pc/jj high end hi-fi amps.htm

https://www.eurotubes.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=768

They are robust amps and sound amazing in his system. 

Eurotubes can import them from JJ for you, get them setup and then send them on. I know the owner of Eurotubes, so if you want an intro let me know.