Willsenton R300

mopardave

12 minutes ago, hanksjim1 said:

That's for 2 right?  Original or reissue?

I've seen the reissues new for $1,500, just saying. 

That being said I have no idea what the going price for used WE300b's is.

Its a matched pair of original WE300B

Western Electric 300B Matched Pair
€ 1.500,00
https://link.marktplaats.nl/m1981856924?utm_source=android_social&utm_content=vip&utm_medium=android_social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons

It is because of this review that I am starting to have doubts.

The reviewer claims to have tried multiple good tubes and found the audible difference to be minimal.
I have no experience with tube rolling, so I don't know what to expect in terms of the noticeable difference a good tube can make.
Additionally, this reviewer did not test the WE300B tube in this amplifier.
Can the WE300B tube actually make a significant difference, or is this amplifier simply not suited for it?
I hope someone here has more experience with this and can share their insights with me.

17 hours ago, Flevoman said:

Its a matched pair of original WE300B

Western Electric 300B Matched Pair
€ 1.500,00
https://link.marktplaats.nl/m1981856924?utm_source=android_social&utm_content=vip&utm_medium=android_social&utm_campaign=socialbuttons

These wouldn't exactly be reissue since they ARE Western Electric tubes. Five year warranty, 40,000 hr lifespan. Made here in Georgia.

https://www.westernelectric.com/300b

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hanksjim1 said:

That's for 2 right?  Original or reissue?

I've seen the reissues new for $1,500, just saying. 

That being said I have no idea what the going price for used WE300b's is.

Tube depot has 3 pairs at different prices. From 3K to 10K for NOS. I have seen others on the net claim you have never heard a SET 300B until you hear it with NOS Western Electric tubes. Personally I doubt I would hear that much difference myself but since we cannot say what someone else hears that I do not does not mean it is not true. I will never know at the prices those things are bringing now. 

https://www.tubedepot.com/products

It appears the link does not work so one must got to their site and search for 300B. 

https://www.tubedepot.com/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Flevoman said:

The reviewer claims to have tried multiple good tubes and found the audible difference to be minimal.
I have no experience with tube rolling, so I don't know what to expect in terms of the noticeable difference a good tube can make.
Can the WE300B tube actually make a significant difference, or is this amplifier simply not suited for it?
I hope someone here has more experience with this and can share their insights with me.

If your speakers have horns, you will hear a difference good or not as good.  I think the original 300 tubes suck.   GL's are definitely better.  The original rectifier tubes suck as well.  Every rectifier tube i have tried is better than the original.  The original 6SL7 is quite good. I have a tung-sol 6AU7 with gold pins in it now and cant tell much if any difference.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mopardave said:

If your speakers have horns, you will hear a difference good or not as good.  I think the original 300 tubes suck.   GL's are definitely better.  The original rectifier tubes suck as well.  Every rectifier tube i have tried is better than the original.  The original 6SL7 is quite good. I have a tung-sol 6AU7 with gold pins in it now and cant tell much if any difference.  

Yes, I have horns, the Cornwall 4. 

Any tips for the rectifier tubes? 

7 hours ago, Flevoman said:

Yes, I have horns, the Cornwall 4. 

Any tips for the rectifier tubes? 

I currently have the 274 Linlai in it.  These are the inexpensive ones as well and they sound better than the originals and i have low hours on them at this point. Not sure of the burn in, but i hear 100hrs.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mopardave said:

I currently have the 274 Linlai in it.  These are the inexpensive ones as well and they sound better than the originals and i have low hours on them at this point. Not sure of the burn in, but i hear 100hrs.   

Everything i have read on rectifiers is the 274 is THE tube for rectification.

1 hour ago, OO1 said:

@rigma  , I would really like to hear his opinion on the differences between the GL 300B and the WE 300B 

I have not listened to the WE300b, but from the reviews i have read, the WE is really nice in the mid. That seems to be its sweet spot.  You may or may not like the top or bottom. There are some out there that do not like them.

On 5/30/2023 at 3:32 PM, Flevoman said:

The Reviewer is correct... What kind of audible difference would one expect from a vacuum bottle  ??? 🙄

21 hours ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

The Reviewer is correct... What kind of audible difference would one expect from a vacuum bottle  ??? 🙄

Sorry, I can't determine whether you're being sarcastic or serious.