Willsenton R300

mopardave

20 hours ago, Flevoman said:

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'd be happy to discuss what works or doesn't work regarding updates. I did come across this post before, and it is certainly interesting to follow, although it seems like that person focuses a lot on the amplifier.

However, I'm also interested in hearing about the modifications you are planning to make. Can you perhaps describe what difference you hear with changing the tubes? Have you seen the link I posted earlier? There's someone who worked on the capacitors and claims to have achieved excellent results. Personally, I have ordered two different preamp tubes that, according to another topic, should sound better. I should be receiving them on Friday, hopefully. The TAD 6SN7GT...

Have you been able to compare the performance of the R300 to other SET 300B amplifiers?

No, this is the only 300b amp i have had in my system. My other amp is a EL34 amp with KT77's in it.  It has been a great amp as well, does everything well. Low bass, mid bass and highs are very clean and life like. The 300b separates the instruments better and brings the vocals forward.  Very nice.   The tube changes have added just a touch more of realism. They just seem to clean things up a bit more with every tube charge and it was very good when i started.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, henry4841 said:

Kinda expensive comparing SET 300B amps. I have not priced a well made 300B's in a few years but back then they were around $2,500 and since inflation I would expect the price to increase. From my limited understanding the output transformers play a big part in getting quality sound from a SET and especially a 300B. My only experience is with well reviewed Edcors, Hammond and Electron One iron which are middle of the road when it comes to OPT's. The technical side of me thinks OPT's are no more than wire wrapped around an iron core but many put a lot of emphasis on them. I am sure cost cuts were made in the iron on the Willseton but on the two Chinese kit amps iron I have built they looked and sound really good to my old ears even if made in China. Positively not name brand iron but decent for what the kits cost which I am sure applies to the Willsenton as well. The Willsenton wound probably benefit from some Nichicon capacitors throughout as well as some modifications on the design but who knows where the design came from. A SET is so simple in circuits it should not be a problem for a decent technician to understand the schematic it is built from.  

A nice custom Cary will set you back $4000.  Dennis Hadd is the man.

9 hours ago, mopardave said:

No, this is the only 300b amp i have had in my system. My other amp is a EL34 amp with KT77's in it.  It has been a great amp as well, does everything well. Low bass, mid bass and highs are very clean and life like. The 300b separates the instruments better and brings the vocals forward.  Very nice.   The tube changes have added just a touch more of realism. They just seem to clean things up a bit more with every tube charge and it was very good when i started.

My experience as well comparing SET300B to SET EL34 family of tubes. Bigger sound, better bass and holographic imaging with bigger tube especially at low volume. The thing is a SET has the best mids one can ever hear that puts the singer in the room with you as well as the instruments. As PWK was often quoted as saying, "music lives in the mids" and there is no better mids than horns and a good SET. A decent sub fills in the bass where a SET compromises somewhat in the sound. Not to say a good SET does not make decent bass it is that many have over emphasized bass reproduction in music desiring more bass than actually necessary. I most often never turn on my sub with an SET and LaScala's myself but many are bass crazy and that is what subs are made for. A SET is definitely for someone looking for the best in sound and the mids are the first place to start. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, henry4841 said:

My experience as well comparing SET300B to SET EL34 family of tubes. Bigger sound, better bass and holographic imaging with bigger tube especially at low volume. The thing is a SET has the best mids one can ever hear that puts the singer in the room with you as well as the instruments. As PWK was often quoted as saying, "music lives in the mids" and there is no better mids than horns and a good SET. A decent sub fills in the bass where a SET compromises somewhat in the sound. Not to say a good SET does not make decent bass it is that many have over emphasized bass reproduction in music desiring more bass than actually necessary. I most often never turn on my sub with an SET and LaScala's myself but many are bass crazy and that is what subs are made for. A SET is definitely for someone looking for the best in sound and the mids are the first place to start. 

It's not the amount of bass, it's the punch in the bass what I'm looking for. 

Is this something a 300B SET can offer? 

I heard the WE 300B on a new WE prototype stero 300B amp. It sounded nice, although it was in an untreated room and not on horns.

The bad thing is you won't know until youtry something in you system on your speakers.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 10:24 AM, henry4841 said:

Here is one of the schematics published on the Zen....

I have a small input for it might help to some enthusiast. There is one member at Hoffman's bought a SE parallel 300B from my builder. Fluxion GX-2300 300B Monoblocks 14 watts. He's been using it since December, 2020. He also has a Decware Zen Triode 6-watts. He's driving an Altec A7-500W. I guess its a highly sensitive input speakers for he said he's only using like 2 watts in his normal listening. I spoke to him last week and he told me he saved up some money to buy 4-WE300B to install it in his 300B. Basically both amps are nice. The Fluxion is his main amp and the Decware as a back up. 

2 hours ago, Marvel said:

I heard the WE 300B on a new WE prototype stero 300B amp. It sounded nice, although it was in an untreated room and not on horns.

The bad thing is you won't know until youtry something in you system on your speakers.

And at your house, room.

2 hours ago, henry4841 said:

And at your house, room.

I also jeard my 2a3 monoblocks on the same speakers in that room. Very, very close to the Western Electric gear. The best thing was my 2A3s were already bought. There are times I miss them... but the purchaser probably won't sell them back to me.

On 5/29/2023 at 5:48 AM, henry4841 said:

SET. Has better Mids

As all else is rolled off. 🙄

Guys, please help me if you can.
The same person from whom I bought the R300 is also selling used WE 300B tubes.
He wants to give me a discount by lowering the price from $1500 to $1250.
According to him, they have played for less than 100 hours.
I have no idea if this is true, but considering the number of hours WE claims these tubes should last, it doesn't seem to be an issue anyway.

But now the question is, does anyone have any idea if the difference between the stock tubes and the WE 300B is truly noticeable?
I know that everyone has their own perception of audible differences, but perhaps someone has tried these tubes (or other high-quality tubes) in this amplifier?
One reason I'm hesitant is because of a well-known reviewer on YouTube who found that better tubes made very little difference in this amplifier.
And if that's true, then $1250 is a lot of money for an upgrade that is almost inaudible.

2 minutes ago, Flevoman said:

He wants to give me a discount by lowering the price from $1500 to $1250.

That's for 2 right?  Original or reissue?

I've seen the reissues new for $1,500, just saying. 

That being said I have no idea what the going price for used WE300b's is.