Willsenton R300

mopardave

Interesting topic to read. There's nothing wrong with being aware that these types of amplifiers are also sold. However, the R300 may not be built with the most expensive components, but it's definitely not a monstrosity. There are already plenty of photos available showing how it is constructed, as well as numerous reviews and experiences with this amplifier.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Small update for those who are interested in de R300 vs more expensive amps.

Yesterday I tested the R300 with WE300B tubes to see how much this will improve the SQ.

There where some differences, but not enough to spend 2K on tubes.

After the test with WE300B tubes , I went today to my audio dealer with the R300 under my arm. There, they had the Cayin 300B SET and the Melody SPE 300B.

I wanted to compare how well the R300 performed alongside the more expensive amplifiers. Personally, I find the R300 sounds quite decent, but it's rather muddy/dark in terms of sound. I miss the sparkle and openness in the sound.

First, we listened to the Cayin connected to the Klipsch Cornwall 4 speakers. The sound was fine, nothing particularly outstanding. It was a very balanced presentation. I even felt it could have been a bit more dynamic.

Then we connected the R300 to the Klipsch speakers. Immediately, it was evident that the sound was noticeably darker. The bass was more present, but it felt like a blanket covering the sound instead of being appropriately emphasized at the right moments. I missed a sense of openness, and the sparkle was noticeably diminished. It's worth mentioning how similar the two amplifiers look in terms of appearance. The idea that the R300 comes from the same factory seems very plausible. However, in terms of sound, there's a world of difference.
Considering that I was listening on a different set in a different environment, I might have missed some finer differences such as imaging and detailing.
In this comprising we both agreed that the Cayin was undoubtly the clear winner.

Next, we compared the Cayin with the Melody, and once again, there was a significant difference and this time in favor of the Melody. It had more punch and dynamics, and the sound was fresher and more open. By the way, the Melody is a 6.5K amplifier, while I believe the Cayin is around 4K.

As for the R300, it's a nice amp for the money I think, but it doesn't hold up against the more expensive amplifiers. For me, this was clear enough to not invest time and money in upgrading the R300 but instead offer it for sale, so it can shine in a setup that matches the amplifier.

• Like 2

Looks like no one mentioned Elekit. They're kits from Japan and seem to be well regarded.

Just under $2k in the US. Not sure if you're looking for a kit but you'd get more for your money...

https://www.elekit.co.jp/en/product/TU-8900E

https://diyaudiostore.com/products/elekit-tu-8600s

The best I heard was a $25k border patrol w/ 4 WE 300Bs playing through Volti Razz at the NY audio show last spring.

https://www.borderpatrol.net/amplifiers/

I have a tubes4hifi VTA ST120 p/p that I built w/ KT120s and Chorus 2's. I need to do some maintenance on it and currently playing through a Dynaco ST120 s/s that needs an overhaul ASAP. I have the parts, just need approval for the workspace. Not the same situation as yours but more to think about.