French man in road trip in California - Utah - Nevada - Arizona

SpeedLimit

hello

We are planning our stay in the American West.

We arrive on July 25 for a stay until August 22.

Can someone tell me if the Coastal Road One is now open from Los Angeles to San Francisco ?

We have to rent a car with unlimited mileage and all the guarantees, do you have good addresses, i mean with good prices ?

We want to visit Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Brice Canyon, Moab, Antelope Canyon, San Francisco, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon (stay perhaps in a motel near Williams) ...

I listen to all good advice

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpeedLimit said:

hello

We are planning our stay in the American West.

We arrive on July 25 for a stay until August 22.

Good plenty of time

Can someone tell me if the Coastal Road One is now open from Los Angeles to San Francisco ?

We have to rent a car with unlimited mileage and all the guarantees, do you have good addresses, i mean with good prices ?

+ Check google maps and maybe a travel site, if a section is closed, it's closed go around.

We want to visit Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Brice Canyon, Moab, Antelope Canyon, San Francisco, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon (stay perhaps in a motel near Williams) ...

+ City touring in the US will not be the same as Europe use to be, SF and LA may already be no-go dead-zones.

I have been to SF more than40 times, so it hurts me to say it, my brother moved out of South Bay and thanks God he did, frequently, He was Mr CA.

I would not send my daughter to either one. The Getty Villa is worth a visit, Humbolt forestis a must, Muir woods, Monterey is nice as are other beach towns aka Santa Basrbera etc , Napa Valley (girls like the spas etc) good restaurants and at the vineyards, is a nice experience as is Lake Tahoe and the shows buy the tickets well in advance for the good shows.

Definitely add zion, I would add a couple of days at the beach on Coronodo Island in San Diego maybe a concert if anyone good is playing. SD zoo is popular. Main Fleet Base is impressive, Coronodo Naval air and Miramar if they have an Air Show, check the schedule for the West coast air shows.

Stay out of Mexico if you value your life.

What the West has that France does not is the West Coast mountain ranges inc LA 14K ft peaks, and the Rockies with a great parks system.

A  lot of the smaller beach towns are adorable and safe.

Maybe fly to Eureka CA via a connection in Denver and start at Humbolt Forrest and drive down the coast from N Cal.

There are probably plenty of great places on the coast all the way down.

Maybe stay in Sasalito or near by and drive into SF if there is something you want to see and get out before dark.

Go east to Tahoe via Napa and see if you want to spend a couple of days in NAPA, Tahoe is beautiful.

South to the Getty and Orange County south of LA aka Newport Beach etc and beach towns South to San Diego.

SD to Las Vegas to Utah Parks to Mesa Verde Colorado, N to Denver, Boulder Dushanbe Tea house for a meal, and up to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park

Maybe go to a baseball game in Denver, concert at Red Rocks, good steak houses. Business Hotels are dirt cheap on weekends, Denver has some great suburbs and neighborhoods, un fortunately up 300% + in price with shale oil strikes.

Denver is short drive to Vail and Aspen via the mountain passes, not the Brenner but still nice.

Fly home out of Denver

If your plan gives you a choice, when driving from Zion to the Grand Canyon, the better highway is the western one (59 through Apple Valley, and not 89 through Kanab).  I've done both.  There's a nice, mountainous area with a pass on the one I recommend.   

The entire southern part of Utah is magnificent.  If you are able to go beyond Bryce Canyon, I can provide additional recommendations.  If you can go all the way to Mesa Verde in Southwestern Colorado, as Bubo suggests, I second his recommendation.  There are great mountain passes if you enter into Colorado going through Monticello in Eastern Utah.  You have to work your way down through Placerville, Ouray, Silverton and Durango.  That segment is an inspirational drive.  The local nickname is "The Million Dollar Highway," and it might be because it has million dollar views.  

• Like 3

Our flight brings us to Los Angeles where we will stay 2 days due to the Jet Lag (12 hours difference with my island in the Indian Ocean and 2 days of travel).

We will visit Los Angeles quietly.

Then, 2 solutions, either go north (San Francisco), or towards Las Vegas.

I came to see my son who was studying (student) in San Marcos in 2017.

The One road was closed because the Bixby Bridge was broken. There, I believe that part of the road fell into the sea. I would not manage to make this superb road if it is not repaired. If I go to the North, then I will do San Francisco then the 12 road through Yosemite ... I had passed to South Lake Tahoe in 2017. Magnificent. But everything is magnificent and grand in this region. I listen to all your recommendations.

I really have to find a car rental not too expensive.

Sorry for my bad american spoken. I use google translate sometimes to help me

2 hours ago, SpeedLimit said:

Then, 2 solutions, either go north (San Francisco), 

I would head North to SF ,    the area past  the Golden Gate Bridge from San Rafael all the way  to the  Napa Valley is very special .

• Like 1

If you have towns or sites to visit, i would like to know more about these

we like  this scenic drive ,  from the Golden Gate Bridge ,   drive into Marin County , where the San Andreas fault   begins , San Quentin ,  San Rafael , Novato , Petaluma , Santa Rosa , up to Geyserville , over  to Calistoga  into Napa County , Fairfield , Vallejo , and on the way  back to Novato , San Rafael , and  the Golden Gate Bridge 

13 minutes ago, SpeedLimit said:

there is a toll to take the golden gate bridge. I have seen that it is not possible to pay with money, you have to register your plate (plate of the car) but it is not possible with a rent car. So how can i cross the GGB with my car ?

One-Time Payment

A One-Time Payment is exactly that - you pay your toll, one payment at a time. One-Time Payments are suggested for drivers who infrequently cross the Golden Gate Bridge; for visitors who travel in their own vehicles from out of the Bay Area area, from out-of-state, and from out of the country; and for customers who want to pay using cash.

One-Time Payments can be made up to 30 days before or within 48 hours after crossing the Golden Gate Bridge and can be made using a credit card, cash, check, or money order. There are no extra fees when you make a One-Time Payment.

1. Online using a credit card: Visit www.bayareafastrak.org.
  2. By phone using a credit card: Call toll-free 1-877-229-8655 or 415-486-8655 outside the USA. 
  3. In person using cash: Visit a Cash Payment Location.
  4. In person using cash, check, money order, or credit card: Visit the Bay Area FasTrak Customer Service Center (375 Beale Street, San Francisco).

Thank you 001 .. i will try to connect to the website when i am in California because i can't access this website now, forbidden perhaps because i am living in Reunion Island (wich belongs to France but in the indian ocean and often seen like a african state).

i just have to find a cash payment location.

Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest

The Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest is home to the oldest trees in the world, bristlecone pines. Some of these living trees exceed 4000 years of age and exhibit spectacular growth forms of twisted and beautifully colored wood.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/specialplaces/?cid=stelprdb5129900

Check out this photo blog

I believe this woman works for the State Water Board or an inspector

One great shot after another of CA

https://mavensphotoblog.com

Cal-Tech-Owens-Valley-Solar-Observatory-

Finally, after having started all the steps, reserved the plane tickets, the rental car (very expensive), starting to book the accommodation, we had to abandon and cancel everything. In August, all the right hotels at a still reasonable price are taken, and the budget flew. And again, we had not reserved the visits to parks (Antelope, Monument Valley, the Pass for national parks ..). We will return to travel planning on a later date by taking it earlier. Maybe the crisis will also have passed, the prices may be more affordable. We were so enthusiastic to visit the American West, but our bank accounts reminded us of order !! Another time maybe.

• Like 1