Amp pairing recs for Chorus II

Don A

• 2 weeks later...

Got the crossovers back from @Deang and hooked up the McCormack. Sounds a lot better, crossovers looked good and turnaround was quick. Still not the soundstage the KG4s had. Next step is room treatment before I look into moving on from the Chorus II. 

27 minutes ago, Don A said:

Got the crossovers back from @Deang and hooked up the McCormack. Sounds a lot better, crossovers looked good and turnaround was quick. Still not the soundstage the KG4s had. Next step is room treatment before I look into moving on from the Chorus II. 

Yes, you might want to give those Chorus more time to shine before moving on.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2023 at 4:52 PM, Emile said:

Suggest you look for a Crown K1 or K2.  Had a Marantz 2256B (about 60wpc) on my Pro KPT-904's (w/JBL horns) and wasn't quite satisfied. Switched to an A-S1200 (90wpc ?) and it was a nice improvement. Then, switched to a Crown K1 (350wpc; you need a pre-amp with this) and the result was "night and day." :) 

which  preamp did you go for ?

there 's no way that a  2 way KG-4  which is inferior to a  3 way Forte can have a better soundstage than the top of the line Chorus II . it's next to impossible  

• Like 4

On 5/7/2023 at 2:29 PM, OO1 said:

there 's no way that a  2 way KG-4  which is inferior to a  3 way Forte can have a better soundstage than the top of the line Chorus II . it's next to impossible  

Let me clarify: horizontal imaging is exceptional. When I heard them where I bought them, the gentleman had a center speaker and I asked if he was playing through it, and he wasn't. A wall of sound, the speakers definitely disappear. In this way, and in almost every other way, the Chorus IIs are far superior to the KG4s. But the depth isn't there. It wasn't there when I tested them, and it's not there in my room. I assumed that the imperfect setup was the reason I wasn't getting the immersion, but I've driven myself crazy moving these things all around my room. I agree with you on the above, which is why I'm hunting for the culprit. I may eventually come to the conclusion that I'm trying to shoehorn a huge speaker into a room that would rather have a pair of Heresys or Quartets and a sub. In the meantime, I'm sticking with them and am now moving on to room treatment and will update the thread if anything changes.

A huge speaker with a a forward voiced mid.  Forte II and quartet both attenuate the squawker more relative to the woofer/tweeter.  

Chorus ii sounds bigger, but to me it’s also a bit shouty compared to the other two.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Don A said:

a room that would rather have a pair of Heresys  

Heresy 1   combo of a K-77 Alnico +a K-55 V Alnico into a tiny box  delivers  great sound .   

• 4 weeks later...
Sorry for my bad english... I have had the Chorus 2 since 1996 and in these years I have tried everything. Now I play them with two absolutely different power amplifiers: a Audion Silver Night set with the 300b (10 + 10 w) and a ZeroZone irs2092, in class D (declared 1000w!) With both they sound wonderful. My opinion is that they are speakers that can sound great or very bad in unpredictable ways... very good with an old Sansui receiver very bad with Audio Research (classic 30 and 60). Bad with the Nad 310, very very good with a OTL Fourier Panthere (300+300)...
  • Like 2

• Moderators
34 minutes ago, Nteccu said:
Sorry for my bad english... I have had the Chorus 2 since 1996 and in these years I have tried everything. Now I play them with two absolutely different power amplifiers: a Audion Silver Night set with the 300b (10 + 10 w) and a ZeroZone irs2092, in class D (declared 1000w!) With both they sound wonderful. My opinion is that they are speakers that can sound great or very bad in unpredictable ways... very good with an old Sansui receiver very bad with Audio Research (classic 30 and 60). Bad with the Nad 310, very very good with a OTL Fourier Panthere (300+300)...

English is great, no worries.

Do you listen to any particular type of music?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2023 at 4:17 PM, winglet said:

A huge speaker with a a forward voiced mid.  Forte II and quartet both attenuate the squawker more relative to the woofer/tweeter.  

Chorus ii sounds bigger, but to me it’s also a bit shouty compared to the other two.   

I use to have the same impression back when I ran adcom gear in 1990 when they first came out. I still thought they were the best sounding speaker of that particular line which is why I bought them.

Thirty three years later and 40 amplifiers, preamplifiers, integrates and receivers later I have enjoyed them with each and every one. The most enjoyment always comes with huge power with gain controls.

Adcom, Forte, B&K, Aragon, Bryston, McCormack to name a few and then I switched over to pro gear. QSC, Crown and Carver Professional which changed my enjoyment in a big way. The ease at which the music leaves the speakers is pretty awesome in my opinion.

At this point my Chorus II's are receiving 1600 watts rms and they have never sounded so smooth and dynamic. I also admit I must have a pair of subwoofers that I eq in the mix to complete the full band effect. 

I have tried many different Klipsch offerings but to me the Chorus II still stands tall.

• Like 3