Knee Replacement

Gilbert

Was told my right knee is shot and needs to be replaced.  Left knee isn't far behind, but not near as bad.  My mother's words ring in my head..... "Don't put it off, get it done while your still young".....   Those were her words after she had her's done, and she was in her 70's.   I'm just 60, but don't feel it... yet.

If you have experience worn knees and total knee replacement, I'd be interested in what you have to say. Doctor says 4 months to full recovery or at least near full recovery. 

• Like 1

I had one  done at 55  , I reached a point where the pain was no longer tolerable . I had injured it in a motorcycle accident about 35 years prior and developed  arthritis which eventually destroyed the meniscus. The accident left my knee unstable and susceptible to knee sprains . After knee replacement the  pain is gone and it’s rock solid , no more dislocations and sprains . I felt that it took a year to reach its max strength. In my case I received a double benefit, no more pain and gained stability. 

• Like 3

Also , my advice is that if it’s not bothering you too much , you may be able to hold off for awhile , you’ll know when it’s time to get it done . For example , does it hurt at rest ? If not , that’s a very good thing . How much pain when walking ? Is your knee stable? Does it affect  your gait?  I know a few people that had the surgery and were not happy with the results, something to consider.🤓

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tom05 said:

Also , my advice is that if it’s not bothering you too much , let it go for now , you’ll know when it’s time to get it done . For example , does it hurt at rest ? If not , that’s a very good thing . How much pain are you in when walking ? Is the knee stable? Does it affect  your gait?  I know a few people that had the surgery and were not happy with the results, something to consider.🤓

Thanks for the reply.... that helps and gives me hope. My mom never recovered 100%, but she waited pretty late in life.

As for the pain, yea, it hurts to walk a bit but I can tolerate it.  All was going well until a few months ago when I tried to play soccer with our german shepard, Ace. I pivoted off my right leg and felt a crunch.... at which point it became tender. Few days later had a project that involved a lot of walking and stairs and knee swelled up like a football. Then to the doctors and got the news.

• Like 1

I know several people that have had both knees done. It takes some rehab for several weeks for most people to put the muscles back in place while on pain killers. They are using a new method now slicing instead of hammering. The very good doctors will do 8 knee replacements per day. All the normal physical people that I know have said it was better than the old knee ever was. Don't know about severe balls a-- to the wall athletes. The cost is outrageous however.

JJK

20 hours ago, Gilbert said:

If you have experience worn knees and total knee replacement, I'd be interested in what you have to say. Doctor says 4 months to full recovery or at least near full recovery. 

I wouldn't have it done. You'll probably feel better and it will change your sunny disposition. Who wants that? 🤓

10 hours ago, JJkizak said:

The cost is outrageous however

Yep. Even with insurance it can be a substantial amount....Otoh, if you don't mind walking with a limp, wait for the other to give out and have them both done in the same year after your deductible is met.

16 hours ago, Gilbert said:

All was going well until a few months ago when I tried to play soccer with our german shepard, Ace.

Yep. I had a situation involving our German Shepherd, Gretchen that caused me pain for 10 years until necessity made me have it rectified....Fwiw, if you feel it on pretty much everything you do moving around it probably would be better to have it done sooner than later. That's my take. 

Had a knee replacement 3 years ago. Did not bother me before replacement but thought it was a good time to do it as I was in perfect health. Three years later; can barely walk 100 yards ... swollen all the time ... have to wear a brace ... etc., etc. Was done by a supposedly great surgeon.

Be aware that the outcome may NOT be as good as "sold" by your surgeon :(  Best of luck!

Add-on. Knee replacement was a Smith & Nephew. VP of that company is my neighbor - they checked everything and are 100% sure it is NOT due to their product and are pointing to the surgery. Surgeon said possible allergies ... tested; haha, nada. Also had multiple X-rays ... they show fluids accumulating in the knee :( 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Let me relate my knee problem experiences. I was a 30 year medium distance (7 miles) runner. Had a knee problem at 37 and saw an orthopedic surgeon and got an MRI. Was told I had stress fractures in the connecting bones to my knees, but to stay off it for an extended period of time and would eventually heal. However the MRI supposedly showed I had arthritis in both knees and in the distant future will degrade and knee replacements would be the likely treatment. After an extended period of healing (about 1 year) I pushed myself to run again and even though it was a bit painful, within a about 1 month, I built myself back to the point prior to the injury.

I continued to run middle distances (only on indoor cushioned treadmills) until at 61 I experienced a second knee injury that felt similar to the first injury years earlier. I never saw a doctor and thought this may finally be the arthritic injury I was warned about. I had to stop running and rested for a month or so, then took up slow walking, mainly short distances, as much as the pain would allow. Repeatedly, it seemed to heal to about 60% then I would have a relapse. This pattern repeated about 4 or 5 times and I started to resign myself that I needed to see a doctor and accept the inevitable. After about 8 months I got a wild hair and started taking a glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplement once a day. After 2 weeks I miraculously improved to 90%. I upped the dosage to 3 times a day and I was back to 100% in about 3 more weeks. Coincidence? Who knows. Perhaps my knees weren't that bad? Don't know but it sure felt bad all the time and was swollen for months.

After soul searching, I decided to not start running again and continued the fast hill walking. To this day I take the same supplement dosage and walk 7 miles a day, all hill work. I am now 66 and my knees feel perfect, and I am tempted to run again (I won't though). I wonder at the time what a doctor would have said had I seen one. Certainly, no signs of arthritis knock on wood...

I have seen similar results with several dogs with joint problems after putting them on G/C/MSM doggie supplements. I don't think they know what a placebo is.

I am not claiming this will work for any of you, but others may find this information useful, perhaps if their problem is soft tissue / joint based.  

• Like 2

Glucosamine is a terrific supplement. You can get it OTC in the US, but I think it's a prescription in the EU. I've taken it for years now and it's helped knee joints and hands.

Besides helping joints, I found a couple of studies that show help combating various cancers. I'm trying to find corroboration on the studies.

• Like 1

I'm playing basketball in the morning, and one of the guys in our group is about 70 and had a replacement about 3 years ago.  He's a little bit slower, but he's strong and still playing.  I think a lot of it has to do with what you expect out of it, the effort you put into recovery, and good fortune. 

I've been fortunate to never have had a knee injury.  I've sprained ankles many times, and they heal fine.  It seems everyone I've met who had a bad knee injury has never really fully recovered. 

Good luck whichever way you go.

• Like 1