Space Tech Lab Super Rectifier

Idontknow

14 hours ago, Idontknow said:

Does anybody know how a rectifier can do this? I just don't understand it other than what I'm hearing. It's baffling to me. 

In my opinion it can’t!  If you read the description about the percent improvement in sound it is obvious that it is all hype.  A rectifier is not in the signal path.  Its job is to provide the circuit with the voltage required for the tubes to operate within their design parameters.  If it does that, especially in a preamp with a near constant current draw, all is well.  There are all sorts of claims out there about rectifiers such as the size and shape of a getter affecting the sound.  About the only thing this device may possibly do is to ensure a constant voltage under very variable current draw conditions (such as those encountered in very high power push pull power amps).  But I would have to see the schematic of the device and real world measurements to be convinced.

http://www.thebestamp.com/Accessories/Super_Rectifiers.php

Maynard

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

A rectifier is not in the signal path.  Its job is to provide the circuit with the voltage required for the tubes to operate within their design parameters.

I would disagree since it is the power supply(which obviously includes the rectifier) that we are modulating (regardless of the amplifier’s design type) and the power supply performance is an important part of the quality of the amplifiers output signal.

miketn🙂

• Like 2

12 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

In my opinion it can’t!  If you read the description about the percent improvement in sound it is obvious that it is all hype.  A rectifier is not in the signal path.  Its job is to provide the circuit with the voltage required for the tubes to operate within their design parameters.  If it does that, especially in a preamp with a near constant current draw, all is well.  There are all sorts of claims out there about rectifiers such as the size and shape of a getter affecting the sound.  About the only thing this device may possibly do is to ensure a constant voltage under very variable current draw conditions (such as those encountered in very high power push pull power amps).  But I would have to see the schematic of the device and real world measurements to be convinced.

http://www.thebestamp.com/Accessories/Super_Rectifiers.php

Maynard

I've always known that it's out of the signal path, but there is a pretty overwhelming amount of reviews and claims that rectifiers can change sound. 

19 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

I would disagree since it is the power supply(which obviously includes the rectifier) that we are modulating (regardless of the amplifier’s design type) and the power supply performance is an important part of the quality of the amplifiers output signal.

miketn🙂

Yes, if we are talking about the filter section of a power supply I would agree with you.  

11 hours ago, Idontknow said:

I've always known that it's out of the signal path, but there is a pretty overwhelming amount of reviews and claims that rectifiers can change sound. 

In audio one can find claims about anything.  There are some who claim that the color of the insulation on wires has a profound effect on the sound!  The bottom line is do whatever makes you happy and just enjoy the music!

Maynard

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

Yes, if we are talking about the filter section of a power supply I would agree with you.  

Hey Maynard I guess we agree to a degree… 😄

I consider all the electrical components of the power supply to have the potential to affect the sound including the Power Transformer, Rectifiers and Capacitors.

The (Power Transformer + Rectifiers) are in parallel with the (Power Supply B+ Capacitors) as well as the (Audio Output Transformer + Tube + Bias Resistor/Capacitor) and thus the quality of the Output Signal will be a reflection of all the components in the power supply. I have replaced the standard silicon diodes often used in amplifiers with Hexfreds for example (the standard silicon rectifiers turning off and on can create noise that can be audible in my experience) which resulted in an impression of increased clarity and removal of some higher frequency edginess to the sound.

miketn 🙂

I’ve done a simplified drawing of the “Little Sweetie” for a different visual impression to hopefully show why I would consider the Quality/Characteristics of the rectifiers as well as all of the power supply electrical components will play a part in the resulting sound of an amplifier.

546905EC-7D1E-48AC-860E-D843BDB3B012.thumb.jpeg.6a0cbce860c7c4ca871635b2b46a5693.jpeg

B86D7215-BF63-4FB4-8730-1500EE9C0A8E.thumb.jpeg.5ee1e7c6f40730727818e2e938f5d2be.jpeg

• Like 2

On 4/24/2023 at 8:49 PM, Idontknow said:

The “Signal” is the Power Supply being modulated and can only be as good as the power supply. 

Even if we can’t measure it but we repeatedly hear the difference then most likely we haven’t measured all thats audible IMHO.

miketn🙂

• Like 2

Not the job of rectification to add anything to the sound. It's job is to turn AC to DC only. If it adds anything to the sound it is some type of distortion. Possible pleasant that many may like but it should not. The more neutral the rectification the better the device is doing it's job. I personally use SS rectification when possible nowadays. 

52 minutes ago, Idontknow said:

In my opinion neutral can be a bit over rated and boring to listen to. If the coloration sounds good, that's all that matters.

As Nelson Pass says, "It's not kidney dialysis it's entertainment." I can agree with what you say but in my opinion it should be done in the signal path and not in the PS section. But then one only has to please themselves, or at least they should see it that way and not get too caught up in what others may say. 

When someone designs an amplifier they need DC to enable the active devices, tubes or transistors, to work properly and to be able to do it they need a clean DC source. This is the only reason for a power supply section being we only have AC coming into our home or office. When I see the PS section 60db to 70db down from the primary signal on an analyzer I know that my PS section will be quite on my LaScala's. A designer aims for a perfect DC source with as little AC ripple as reasonable possible within cost restraints and part selection coming into the equation. In other words cleaner is better. True some claim a certain rectifier tube improves the sound, in their opinion, but I have never been one to swap rectifier tubes hoping to improve the sound. I put it in the same category as large cables. Money is better spent in other areas IMHO. 

On 4/24/2023 at 6:48 PM, mikebse2a3 said:

miketn🙂

I'm just a technically interested layman, I would guess that especially with Class AB amps the nature of the power supply may have even more impact on the sound than with Class A amps, because the power supply is very dynamically stressed in Class AB depending on the instantaneous power demand? I have a MC275 with a Silicon rectification that I would never make any changes to because I don't want to degrade the value. Besides, it sounds very good as it is. There are people who particularly like the old MC30 monos, which may be due in no small part to the fact that they use a tube rectifier?
One thing that I noticed very clearly. I have a Fender Bassman, a replica from 1990. This amp has a very valuable feature. It has a silicon diode rectifier. But this is built into a part that has a tube socket as a connection. Now you can easily, because this Fender Bassman has everything prepared from home, this silicon rectifier against a real GZ34 exchange. I have this amp for 32 years, bought new. The biggest difference sonically is not the swap of tubes but the change from the silicon rectifier insert to a GZ34, what a fantastic feature. It's like a controlled experiment because everything else remains constant.
When I play guitar with the silicone insert, it's a linear 1:1 change in volume as I play harder or softer. When I use a GZ34, it creates this more "musical" sound. When the amp is fully turned up, the attack drops for a very small period of time and then comes back up like a "pump". You can use the attack with the pick as a musical effect. Also, everything sounds smoother and rounder, as if the GZ34 were part of the really good guitar sound in rock music. Members with more technical knowledge can perhaps describe what I am experiencing. Of course, this does not have to be a benefit in the hifi area, I do not know.

As beneficial to audio reproduction as well from your personal experience and not from some textbook theory. Would you happen to have the test equipment to see what you are hearing? My thoughts are SS diodes are faster and the tube is introducing something enjoyable in the mix with it's delay. My favorite form of amplification is SET amplifiers that add some 2nd harmonics along with a touch of 3rd. As you said more musical to if not exactly accurate reproduction. I only strive to please myself now but everyone that hears my setup is amazed at the sound as well. 

Well it's pretty simple in my view, he states the outboard power supply made very little difference when plugged into the preamp on the top (same brand). But made a 30% guesstimated improvement with the preamp on the bottom. The top preamp has a well-designed power supply the preamp on the bottom not so much! 

So sure it can...if the gear is crap in the power supply department! 

• Like 2

On 5/5/2023 at 3:02 AM, John Warren said:

"Before I tell you about the sound..."

The starting line of the snake-oil salesman.

What am I selling?  Pretty cocky response. If you look at the rest of my reviews, you'll see I review and praise many things. So I must be a snake oil salesman for all the other stuff too right? Let me know and I'll tell you what I actually do.