DEATH OF BLURAY ?

Bubo

29778.jpeg

According to findings from Statista Consumer Insights, DVD and Blu-ray are quickly spinning out of fashion across the globe, with the share of respondents who watched video from a physical format declining, sometimes significantly, in all major markets.

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/dvd-blu-ray-are-quickly-spinning-out-fashion

• Like 1

I find it sad that only a small amount of people are still demanding quality over convenience. 

Most of your streaming video services like Netflix, Prime, etc are selling you terrible quality!  Sure, they said 1080 or 4K, but most of the time it's not even close...and the audio is terrible!

Just like the cd vs mp3 battle.  What younger person is still demanding cd quality?  They are all running around with mp3's on their phone or using bluetooth to stream music to a little device on the counter!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JJkizak said:

Some (most) people  give a crap less about quality. Label the products (Muntz for those people) and the good stuff (Western Electric quality for those that care).

JJK

THAT shows your age.  And I remember Muntz, sorta like another audio known for similar quality. 

11 hours ago, Iteachstem said:

I find it sad that only a small amount of people are still demanding quality over convenience. 

Most of your streaming video services like Netflix, Prime, etc are selling you terrible quality!  Sure, they said 1080 or 4K, but most of the time it's not even close...and the audio is terrible!

Just like the cd vs mp3 battle.  What younger person is still demanding cd quality?  They are all running around with mp3's on their phone or using bluetooth to stream music to a little device on the counter!

And you see ads for various electronic pieces or streaming services that promise "CD Quality!" and often don't even come close.  If you want CD quality, pop in a CD.  Better quality?  Pop on an LP.  Want better yet?  DVD (in my opinion, anyway).  Blu-ray is even better, but if you're listening on a crap stereo, the ranking might be different, and the extra detail retrieval of the DVD and Blu-ray won't even be noticeable.

Could it be that the music is just wallpaper surrounding the listener's epic daily life?  The funny thing is that people like Brian Eno have been making music for that purpose, and yet it's the pop music that's the soundtrack of many folks' days.  At least the youth have the excuses of lack of money or knowledge.  At 16, I was really happy with my little 6 transistor radio, complete with earplug (just one, it was mono), listening to stuff like Brown Eyed Girl, or Itchycoo Park or A Whiter Shade of Pale, stuff that really spoke to me, lol.  Pictures of Matchstick Men, by Status Quo, with its amazing use (overuse, maybe, but at the time...) of the new gadget, the wah-wah pedal, was an ear worm for a while.  There wasn't much in the way of distortion gear for guitarists back then.  In the early and mid Sixties, the sound of the fuzz box was part of most of the cool songs, but when the wah appeared, the fuzz tone sort of faded away, because it was so yesteryear.

Hmm, that comment digressed into a nostalgic sort of rant, or maybe reminiscence is a better word.  Maybe some of you guys remember those tunes.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bubo said:

According to findings from Statista Consumer Insights, DVD and Blu-ray are quickly spinning out of fashion across the globe,  

with Covid and people working from home , no wonder the Blue-Ray is less used , people are busy working instead of listening to music , and when they do stream music, they do it from their computer or their phones ,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Islander said:

And you see ads for various electronic pieces or streaming services that promise "CD Quality!" and often don't even come close.  If you want CD quality, pop in a CD.  Better quality?  Pop on an LP.  Want better yet?  DVD (in my opinion, anyway).  Blu-ray is even better, but if you're listening on a crap stereo, the ranking might be different, and the extra detail retrieval of the DVD and Blu-ray won't even be noticeable.

Could it be that the music is just wallpaper surrounding the listener's epic daily life?  The funny thing is that people like Brian Eno have been making music for that purpose, and yet it's the pop music that's the soundtrack of many folks' days.  At least the youth have the excuses of lack of money or knowledge.  At 16, I was really happy with my little 6 transistor radio, complete with earplug (just one, it was mono), listening to stuff like Brown Eyed Girl, or Itchycoo Park or A Whiter Shade of Pale, stuff that really spoke to me, lol.  Pictures of Matchstick Men, by Status Quo, with its amazing use (overuse, maybe, but at the time...) of the new gadget, the wah-wah pedal, was an ear worm for a while.  There wasn't much in the way of distortion gear for guitarists back then.  In the early and mid Sixties, the sound of the fuzz box was part of most of the cool songs, but when the wah appeared, the fuzz tone sort of faded away, because it was so yesteryear.

Hmm, that comment digressed into a nostalgic sort of rant, or maybe reminiscence is a better word.  Maybe some you guys remember those tunes.

Your 6 transistor mono radio was high tech at the time.

Almost everything we take for granted was magic before 1900

My grandfather remembered seeing the first car in his town,

then the space shuttle in his lifetime.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

image.thumb.jpeg.53f0255e31bc9cc2a906ba97d8d22513.jpeg

I think a lot of it has to do with the younger generations being raised on MP3 downloads.  They’re just used to being able to buy/download anything with the click of a button.

The fact that streaming quality is significantly better than MP3 probably doesn’t give much motivation to have physical media.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

I think a lot of it has to do with the younger generations being raised on MP3 downloads.  They’re just used to being able to buy/download anything with the click of a button.

The fact that streaming quality is significantly better than MP3 probably doesn’t give much motivation to have physical media.

Vinyl records surpassed CD sales this year

Every pop artist now published on vinyl

You can't stream vinyl

Record players are selling like hot cakes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2005 at 6:07 AM, Zen Traveler said:

I prefer multichannel media to 2 channel. My HT collection is composed of 5.1 DVD Movies, concerts videos,(and well made music videos, along with some duds;-) and muti channel music (50/50 sacd's DVD-A), in that order. I am fortunate that I have an "isolation booth" [;)] that is superb for that media. It would be hard to find (if not impossible) a 2 channel setup to compare for my needs, in my room.

I was not using Bestbuy as a gage of quality as much as a barometer of public demand. If you perused bestbuy or Walmart and saw rows of SACD's and DVD-A's, there would be no need for this thread. If the common denominator is people willing to buy 5 (or more speakers) for a medium that required yet another specialized machine to play limited material, (that was never really pushed in the mainstream), then I don't see multichannel music without video going anywhere. I don't think the major players are going to come together and support it. Too many other areas to concentrate for bigger profits.

IMHO, the clarity of what little material that is available on mulitchannel is awesome, but I don't see reason for optimism for those of us that like our entertainment experience coming at us from all sides. [:|]

FWIW, I also agree with what is happening in the "HD disk" arena. I however, think both formats are going to loose out to ala cart programing (i.e., Satellite, Cable, phone lines, etc.) for movies.

Ha! I remember starting a thread on a similar subject almost 20 years ago. Lol! 

• Like 1