Amateur Radio

JohnA

13 minutes ago, Travis In Austin said:

W6IYD was my dad, he got his unlimited Class A in high school, I think he was 15. He got his 2nd class radio after he graduated from high school.

He had those cards printed up which I guess was a big thing back in that day because there are 100s on eBay?

I assuming the communication was by Morse code, not voice? These cards were exchanged to verify things like signal strength, the Transmitter power of signal being received? 

Sorry about the confusion of the call signs.  In this instance,  the contact was with voice (“phone”).   Yes, QSL cards were exchanged and used as proof of contacts with states, provinces, countries, etc.  They were also needed as proof for the abundant awards which existed.  So, if this is your dad’s card which he sent to the ham in Minnesota, how did your dad get it back?

Maynard

• Moderators
1 hour ago, tube fanatic said:

Sorry about the confusion of the call signs.  In this instance,  the contact was with voice (“phone”).   Yes, QSL cards were exchanged and used as proof of contacts with states, provinces, countries, etc.  They were also needed as proof for the abundant awards which existed.  So, if this is your dad’s card which he sent to the ham in Minnesota, how did your dad get it back?

Maynard

That’s the beauty of this Maynard, when I saw the amateur ham radio post I thought for kicks I would search his call sign W6IYD which normally pulls up publications back then that has all of the call signs in alphabetical order by year and I could see what addresses he listed between the early 40s (you could get tested and licensed during the war but could not operate a ham radio until after VJ Day is was what he told me). So it pulled up several years worth of listings, the search also pulled up that card as a current eBay listing for $9.95.

My dad sent that to a “Jack” in Minnesota in 1950 (with a 1 cent stamp) approximately 70 years ago and it ends up on eBay. Not only does it end up on eBay, it ends up being searchable.

Travis

I was in the radio for a quite a while in the late 70's  through the late 80's. I didnt go to ham radio. I still have my old 148, lollipop and the 5/8 wave antenna that I got from radio shack back in 1979.  Its like the original super penetrator. 

Hy-Gain Vertical Antenna, 10/12M Super Penetrator 1.5kW - SPT-500

• Like 3