Bluetooth Adapter Suggestions

Peter P.

Currently our installers use their modern bro-boxes with Bluetooth in our install bay and play from their phones to the bro-box via Bluetooth.

I'm thinking of installing a receiver and two speakers in the room. It's mostly for them but while I hardly spend time there for the times I do and

the system isn't taken over by them, I want to listen to the radio.

My concern is the Bluetooth range of whatever I install.

The bay will fit a tractor-trailer so it's roughly 53' long. Their bro-box is at one end of the bay. I want to ensure any Bluetooth adapter I buy will cover

the length of the bay. If I buy a receiver it will be shelf mounted in roughly the same location. The two speakers will be equally spaced along the length

of the bay because that's the easiest install solution for them.

I see two options:

1. Buy a used receiver and an aftermarket Bluetooth adapter. I've read these adapters can have considerable range, easily meeting or exceeding my requirements.

2. Yamaha sells a receiver with built-in Bluetooth. I don't know its Bluetooth range, and it certainly has more power than I'll need, but it's an all-in-one solution

that may cost more than the used receiver and aftermarket adapter.

Make a recommendation but recommend I buy it anywhere BUT AMAZON!

Typical range of many bluetooth adapters is 100 feet. As an option, if wifi is available, there are many wifi adapters that can do the same thing. I have used both and I can live with either. There are so many options out there its hard to recommend just a few. My personal experience has been with Audioengine bFi, Auris bluMe pro, Yamaha WXC-50, Yamaha WX-021 (speaker). These are about middle of the road receivers, there are many cheaper and many more expensive. I have read good things about Blue Dento HD, WIIM Pro and Yamaha WXA-50 (also has a built-in amp). Keep in mind that interference can effect the transmission quality of any of these.

I wound up buying a receiver and two speakers from a seller on craigslist who dabbles in audio equipment.

Included in the package was a new Esinkin Bluetooth Adapter. I don't know how he was able to include

it in the $200 price of the system I bought, but he did!

I mounted the stereo on a wall shelf about 5ft. off the ground, then mounted the bluetooth adapter

as high as I could on the wall, hiding the wiring in Panduit. I'll report back with a photo and a range

report once the system is complete!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mark1101 said:

You could have just bought a pair of Klipsch powered Bluetooth speakers and been done with it.  No other electronics.

Ah, but they would need outlets to power them, no? Ain't no outlets anywhere near where these speakers are going!

Update: Here's a pic of the installed system with the Bluetooth adapter.

Stereo - 1.jpeg

I placed the Bluetooth adapter as high as possible to maximize its range in our 75' install bay. While the range is well beyond that, I discovered one problem; in order for each user to iniitially connect to the device, the device has to be put into a "discoverable" mode. That means placing a ladder near the unit to press the button. Once their phone sees the Bluetooth adapter and connects to it the first time, it's permanent.

One other problem: I wanted the FM to work as well, but the LED lighting on the wall AND on the ceiling is creating significant interference, which is unusual because the rabbit ear set top antenna was placed on the shelf above the receiver, and farther away from the lights than the same antenna at home is from my basement panel LEDs. I also tried a dipole in various orientations with very questionable improvement. I know most of the people in the shop stream from their phones or laptops but I wanted to make FM a "free" alternative. There's no possibility of installing RF filters on the LED lights.

• Like 1

Maybe electrical outlet needs a noise filter the Yamaha. May help but antenna may eliminate some by quad shield coax with short run

to roof.

Bluetooth if only once to adapt, initially cool,

You will sort it. Let us know.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2023 at 6:46 PM, salbake said:

Great lil DAC chip in there. Happy!

IMG_0230.jpeg

IMG_0234.jpeg

IMG_0233.jpeg

IMG_0232.jpeg

IMG_0231.jpeg

I bought one of these devices last week for a garage system that has an older Harmon Kardon receiver with no digital or wireless capability.  So same application.  The little Fiio aboslutely breathed new life into the setup.

Last night I streamed A Dead and Company concert from Nugs.net.  So I used a USB cable from my laptop (which was wifi streaming the concert) to the Fiio and Fiio RCA outs to the Harmon Kardon.  I was just using the Sabre DAC in the Fiio.  Worked flawlessly all night, and with respectable sound.

The Fiio is a darn swiss army knife.  Does just about everything with D to A, BT (send or receive), USB, coaxial, Toslink.  Worth the money.

• Like 1