Cornwall serial number confusion.

Lowsidr

Hi, I just purchased a pair of Cornwall I's. They have two ports on the bottom, not three but both serial numbers have an "S" which I thought designated 1978? From what I've been able to dig up it was up to 1975 for dual port then they changed to three and never went back? I'm also confused about the "Type"  these show CD-BR, when I looked that up it was for custom decorator raw birch without grills, the front finished in birch but mine have stock grills w/rectangular "KLIPSCH" badging. I'm completely confused and haven't even popped the back off yet to see inside.

The serial numbers are 14S751 14S749.

Any help would be much appreciated.

BTW, these are magnificent, I wish to be buried in them.

Edited by Lowsidr
  • Like 2

A pic may help about the grilles question. Some decorators had grilles added afterwards by the owner. Removable grilles...

If ports question not answered along with year to your satisfaction, you may want to pose them to the Klipsch historian.  @Lowsidr

@Lowsidr Welcome to the klipsch Bonehead Forum  , please dont  get  buried with your speakers , I 'll take them gladly :D

the Decorator Cornwall  had an option of dealer installed grilles that were   stapled onto the outer speaker frame as of 1976  , are your grilles stuck on with velcro or are they non-removable with staples , this is the most likely  , please post a picture  of the badges .

the Laser badge  is  the 1st possibility  

image.jpeg.76444b643a091db7811876385b8d8698.jpeg

• Like 1

@Lowsidr  you have the 3rd option which was nailed  Dealer installed trim & speaker grilles from a  non-Decorator  1976-77 Klipsch Cornwall with black Duracrest fabric  + the   klipsch  copper Laser badge,

congrats ,  BTW ,your speakers have the  the k-77 Tweeter +  Midrange  Alnico drivers , meaning they sound fantastic

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OO1 said:

@Lowsidr  you have the 3rd option which was nailed  Dealer installed trim & speaker grilles from a  non-Decorator  1976-77 Klipsch Cornwall with black Duracrest fabric  + the   klipsch  copper Laser badge,

congrats ,  BTW , the k-77 Tweeter +  Midrange use all Alnico drivers , meaning they sound fantastic

That's a wealth of knowledge, thank you. I'm still a bit confused on the year though?

As for sound, I'm 58, been in and out of the audio biz most of my life and these have me gob smacked. I've never experienced anything like them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lowsidr said:

That's a wealth of knowledge, thank you. I'm still a bit confused on the year though?

As for sound, I'm 58, been in and out of the audio biz most of my life and these have me gob smacked. I've never experienced anything like them. 

The Klipsch Heritage line of speakers. The Cornwall line a much desirable model(s).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, salbake said:

@OO1 could you do mine please!?

IMG_0598.jpeg

these are 1981 Cornwall 1  black Duracrest  or cane  grilles with the embossed klipsch PWK logo copper badges ,  k-77 tweeter square magnet Ferrite  ,k-33-E Woofer ,

the 1981 Cornwall was special in that  it's a transition year for  the  network/crossover  version and  the midrange drivers  depending on the month of production - 

1)-k-55V Alnico with push pin terminals  .

2) dual phase plug  K-55V Alnico  with solder lugs

3)-  K-51V dual phase plug Ferrite .

4) The crossover could be the B or B2  Network 

it would be interesting for you to open the backs of the  speakers to see which midrange driver & crossover shipped with these speakers 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, OO1 said:

congrats ,  BTW ,your speakers have the  the k-77 Tweeter +  Midrange  Alnico drivers , meaning they sound fantastic

Forgive me for being a bit dense. Does the "S" in my serial numbers designate 1978? I'm still confused about the dual ports on mine vs the three on later than 75 models? Did some of the 78's have dual ports?

Thanks in advance, much appreciated!

2 minutes ago, Lowsidr said:

Forgive me for being a bit dense. Does the "S" in my serial numbers designate 1978?  

yes , your speakers were made  in 1978  ,   the Cornwall Decorator motorboard  template /jig has 2 slots , you cant build  a Decorator CW  with 3 slots in the motorboard , even if it was manufactured after 1975 

1 hour ago, OO1 said:

yes , your speakers were made  in 1978  ,   the Cornwall Decorator motorboard  template /jig has 2 slots , you cant build  a Decorator CW  with 3 slots in the motorboard , even if it was manufactured after 1975 

Thank you! Holy hell do you know you're shit! Had no idea I'd find out so much so fast, you rock!

12 hours ago, OO1 said:

@Lowsidr Welcome to the klipsch Bonehead Forum  , please dont  get  buried with your speakers , I 'll take them gladly :D

the Decorator Cornwall  had an option of dealer installed grilles that were   stapled onto the outer speaker frame as of 1976  , are your grilles stuck on with velcro or are they non-removable with staples , this is the most likely  , please post a picture  of the badges .

the Laser badge  is  the 1st possibility  

image.jpeg.76444b643a091db7811876385b8d8698.jpeg

23 hours ago, OO1 said:

these are 1981 Cornwall 1  black Duracrest  or cane  grilles with the embossed klipsch PWK logo copper badges ,  k-77 tweeter square magnet Ferrite  ,k-33-E Woofer ,

the 1981 Cornwall was special in that  it's a transition year for  the  network/crossover  version and  the midrange drivers  depending on the month of production - 

1)-k-55V Alnico with push pin terminals  .

2) dual phase plug  K-55V Alnico  with solder lugs

3)-  K-51V dual phase plug Ferrite .

4) The crossover could be the B or B2  Network 

it would be interesting for you to open the backs of the  speakers to see which midrange driver & crossover shipped with these speakers 

Cool and interesting! Thank you for taking the time to respond!

IMG_0205.jpeg

IMG_0206.jpeg

IMG_0207.jpeg

IMG_0208.jpeg

IMG_0209.jpeg