Which K77 tweeter is the better one ?

i have two models of K77 tweeters. One with a round magnet, the second with a square one ..

Are these tweeters very different ? Which is the better one?

What is the difference between these ? year of product certainly but what other ? Which is the most recent product ?

I have numbers on both ..  one pair has 824 9946 743  on the other 824 0137

IMG_20230501_151324.jpg

K-77-Ms tend to have more output at the highest frequencies.  Some say the K-77s have more detail because of the AlNiCo magnets.  I would use the K-77-Ms with Z-brackets unless you are putting them in a sealed or ported cabinet like Heresy or Cornwall. 

the more recent is the K-77M  from the 80s /square magnet is Ferrite  , the Round magnet K-77  is Alnico from the 70's and  should sound better ,  not only was the magnet material  better  but   the  late 70's Alnico K-77 diaphragms were the highest quality EV made ,

some Round magnet K-77 Alnico tweeters even have copper Beryllium leads which allowed the tweeter to play at higher frequencies as well as higher power levels without auto-destroying . 

• 1 month later...
On 5/1/2023 at 10:33 PM, OO1 said:

the more recent is the K-77M  from the 80s /square magnet is Ferrite  , the Round magnet K-77  is Alnico from the 70's and  should sound better ,  not only was the magnet material  better  but   the  late 70's Alnico K-77 diaphragms were the highest quality EV made ,

some Round magnet K-77 Alnico tweeters even have copper Beryllium leads which allowed the tweeter to play at higher frequencies as well as higher power levels without auto-destroying . 

How do the K-77Ds in the AK5 and LSII's compare the 77M or Alnico round 77s?

The high frequencies on my 77Ds are phenomenal. Then again I never heard what the old school 77s sounded like as the first big Klipsch I owned and heard were the KHorn AK5s and I bought the sealed anniversary model.

To this day I still haven't heard a speaker that can sound like a live concert, a commercial theater speaker or HiFi speaker all in one and excel at all 3 depending on electronic front end or source material. They're chameleons. 

Old timers describe the older models of yesteryear that had the round EV Alnico tweeters has harsher and more of a PA live sound.

From what I can gather it sounds like the 77Ds are the best tradeoff of old and new?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sixspeed said:

How do the K-77Ds in the AK5 and LSII's compare the 77M or Alnico round 77s?

The high frequencies on my 77Ds are phenomenal. Then again I never heard what the old school 77s sounded like as the first big Klipsch I owned and heard were the KHorn AK5s and I bought the sealed anniversary model.

To this day I still haven't heard a speaker that can sound like a live concert, a commercial theater speaker or HiFi speaker all in one and excel at all 3 depending on electronic front end or source material. They're chameleons. 

Old timers describe the older models of yesteryear that had the round EV Alnico tweeters has harsher and more of a PA live sound.

From what I can gather it sounds like the 77Ds are the best tradeoff of old and new?

Yes , I would agree , the K-77D tweeter + the K-77D  round cups are a direct replacement klipsch  part  for the EV  K-77 diaphragm  

the K-77-D  re-designed horn lens is a big reason for it's exceptional sound   , it  was also very expensive to manufacture being cast aluminium with very close tolerances  , it's a technically more advanced K-77  , wider ,  flush with the motorboard   , needless to say , it's a superior lens vs  a Ferrite or Alnico K-77  .

the quality of the  K-77D diaphragm is  on par  with the  EV K-77 diaphragms made in the 80's -90's   without the Beryllium copper leads  , however   the Alnico K-77 diaphragm  incorporated BE copper leads in the 70's ,   in roughly   2 thirds of the Alnico K-77's since these were only made for a short period  ,  it's an old school  sound  , it's not a modern sounding tweeter like the K-77D or the new K-77 round cups ,   the copper BE leads diaphragm  was tougher to blow  under high loads .

• Like 1