Cornwall 1.5 troubleshoot

Hello. Recently bought some Cornwall 1.5’s serial # 8429991. Opened up the cabs and the tweeters have been replaced with Crites CT125’s. The B-3 crossovers have been recapped with Sonicaps. Mid range and woofer are stock. Problem is, the mids and highs sound “muddy” to me. I’ve tried different listening rooms. Different listening distances. Different toe in etc. I’m running a Marantz 2245 with a full restoration. Tried CD, Lossless streaming, and phono. When I plug in my other speakers, (large advents and a couple others),  I get the clarity back on the upper end. Is this normal? Could there be an issue with the crossovers? Or is it just that I don’t appreciate the Cornwall sound? 

• Like 1

L and right drivers out of phase with each other?  Double check and make sure all connections are correct / loosen and re-tighten all crossover screws.

"Muddy" sounds like something is definitely wrong.  Have you measured the ohms of each driver (both tweeters working)?

Finally, pics of the wired crossovers might help.

• Like 2

Something else is up. With those tweeters and those caps, there's no way in hello that the mids and highs would come off "muddy". If anything, I would expect to possibly hear complaints on the "high energy in the high frequencies" and not "muddy". Something up with a driver, internal phasing, something not right in the basic operation, but"muddy" with that topside and cap combo don't fit. It wouldn't fit on a stock version either, and this "version/variant"would have more top side energy than a stock/stock replacement version (primarily from the tweeter as it's more efficienr).

I would start by checking each individual driver for clean play (like not distorted or obviously hindered), then if no issue seemingly apparent, check the internal connections and each lead for proper phasing. Something along this line is up here.

I also wouldn't exclude a "rewiring" being wrong on the crossover recap if done by the end user and not installed correctly by someone with experience.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Cambo5159 said:

Thank to you all for the comments. I'll get to the bottom of it. 

going back to original klipsch parts will resolve the issue , it's that easy 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cambo5159 said:

Thank to you all for the comments. I'll get to the bottom of it. 

My money is on the ct125 tweeters being far too laid back.  

Double check the crossover wiring, but if they’re correct I’d leave them and swap the tweeter out for klipsch oem (k77?) or one of the other options available.

On 5/5/2023 at 9:01 AM, winglet said:

My money is on the ct125 tweeters being far too laid back.  

Double check the crossover wiring, but if they’re correct I’d leave them and swap the tweeter out for klipsch oem (k77?) or one of the other options available.

They aren't. They are 5db more efficient and ever present in the sound. They are a very sweet sounding tweeter but they are "hot" if not accounted/adjusted for (and on high end gear, whoa....). But that said, they wouldn't be "laid back" with the Klipsch tweeter either. All of my spidey sense points to something else being off here. "Laid back/muddy mids and highs" just don't match any average result that would be expected from any Cornwall, reasonably modified OR stock.

8 hours ago, Audible Nectar said:

They aren't. They are 5db more efficient and ever present in the sound. They are a very sweet sounding tweeter but they are "hot" if not accounted/adjusted for (and on high end gear, whoa....). But that said, they wouldn't be "laid back" with the Klipsch tweeter either. All of my spidey sense points to something else being off here. "Laid back/muddy mids and highs" just don't match any average result that would be expected from any Cornwall, reasonably modified OR stock.

Are you sure you’re thinking about the ct125?  It’s an eminence apt50 driver that is LESS sensitive than the k77 and more mellow sounding by most reviews.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, winglet said:

Are you sure you’re thinking about the ct125?  It’s an eminence apt50 driver that is LESS sensitive than the k77 and more mellow sounding by most reviews.

You're right about the specifics of that particular tweeter, but as I mentioned above, if it were a K77 I'd still have the same opinion.

or, this:

52 minutes ago, Deang said:

Internet troubleshooting is like playing whack-a-mole. 

“‘Muddy” is what you would hear with a blown driver. 

Update, I disconnected  the mid and woofer and played the speakers with only the tweeter connected. The sound from both tweeters is barely audible even when turning the volume up fairly loud. I checked the resistance of the tweeters, mids and woofers and all test ok. Forgive my ignorance but is there a way for me to test the crossovers? I have a multi-meter. I'm just not sure how to test them. Since the Sonicaps were added prior to me purchasing the speakers, I'm wondering if the crossovers could have an issue or have been wired incorrectly? Thanks.

17 minutes ago, Cambo5159 said:

Since the Sonicaps were added prior to me purchasing the speakers, I'm wondering if the crossovers could have an issue or have been wired incorrectly?

YES. To troubleshoot those, you may need to post a good pic of one of the crossovers, Someone can tell you if they are wired incorrectly. Using factory spec caps also may be all they need,

6 minutes ago, Marvel said:

YES. To troubleshoot those, you may need to post a good pic of one of the crossovers, Someone can tell you if they are wired incorrectly. Using factory spec caps also may be all they need,

And check to make sure the correct value caps are in the right spot:

Cornwall_B3_crosover.png