Heresy I / I.5 question

I know that aftermarket modifications of Klipsch are not allowed anymore but I do have a question that hopefully falls within the guidelines of what is ok to discuss:

Currently my LCR are original Heresys with soldered lug K-55V midrange that I absolutely love.  My surrounds are Heresy “1.5” with different midrange drivers (K-52??).  Anyway, I purchased the surrounds from a forum member who inherited them from his Dad.

If I were ever to downsize, would the K-55V driver and horn be a direct swap with the K-52 and its horn?  I would plan on keeping the 1.5s because the forum member sold them to me at a great price knowing I’ll be keeping them for a long time, which I will do.  I just love the K-55V and would make that driver and horn swap if it were an easy swap.

44 minutes ago, JohnA said:

I think so.  Which crossover do the 1.5s have?  That will help determine whether the K-52 has as much output as a K-55-V. 

I’m not sure.  I haven’t opened them up.

6 minutes ago, OO1 said:

yep , the horn  on the 1,5 Heresy is the plastic k-701  works with the K-55V    , the  Heresy  E-2 crossover would not be an issue either with the K-55V  .

Thanks Randy!

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, OO1 said:

yep , the horn  on the 1,5 Heresy is the plastic k-701  works with the K-55V    , the  Heresy  E-2 crossover would not be an issue either with the K-55V  .

There will be a minor issue mounting those resin k701 horns from the 1.5 into the 1.0

The upper and lower flanges of the metal horn narrow between the mounting screw holes.  The resin k701 of course has the ‘round out’ for the woofer, but it’s upper flange is straight and will overlap the tweeter cutout in the motor board of the 1.  You’ll need to notch it to fit.

The motorboard in the 1.5, klipsch raised the height of the tweeter cutout about 3/8” to make room for the k701 upper flange.

Screw holes may not line up exactly between the two either.  My ‘77 they were close, but not perfect.

5 hours ago, OO1 said:

I guess I should have asked, does the midrange thread on to the horn in the 1.5 or is it held on by screws?  If it’s threaded I’d just swap drivers instead of horns.

46 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

I guess I should have asked, does the midrange thread on to the horn in the 1.5 or is it held on by screws?  If it’s threaded I’d just swap drivers instead of horns.hich 

the K-701 does not have threads ,but you can swap the K-700 thin wall horn  into the 1.5 or use a 1-3/8  Horn Adapter(  some fitting required   )

post-40280-13819664954704.jpg

Klipsch Heresy 1.5 - Tentatively Sold

Not enough room inside a heresy to add an adapter and then a k55 onto the end of a k701.  

K701 also has a narrowing of the throat designed to work with the k53 phase plug.

Do your 1.5 definitely have the plastic k701?  Some 1.5 had the metal k700 with threaded k53

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, winglet said:

Not enough room inside a heresy to add an adapter and then a k55 onto the end of a k701.  

K701 also has a narrowing of the throat designed to work with the k53 phase plug.

Do your 1.5 definitely have the plastic k701?  Some 1.5 had the metal k700 with threaded k53

They’re plastic.

8 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

They’re plastic.

8 hours ago, winglet said:

Yup, you'd need the k-700 metal horn and E-2 crossover to get best results I believe. My advice, keep your current LCR's and offer the 1.5's back to the seller if he doesn't want them then, well, he did sell them in the first place right? At least you'll have given him the chance to rehome them. 

• Like 1