Want to audition the Klipschorn AK6s with a Technics SU-R1000

4 minutes ago, secretplayer said:

billybob:

It IS the new Technics integrated.

Hopefully someone here knows of a shop that can allow them to be demoed together.

Cool... just keep this topic bumped. Someone should see it that can help.

On 5/13/2023 at 4:46 PM, secretplayer said:

billybob:

It IS the new Technics integrated.

Hopefully someone here knows of a shop that can allow them to be demoed together.

Cool... just keep this topic bumped. Someone should see it that can help.

Pretty cool looking Technics!

I'd think the only way to really know how it sounds, would be to hear them in your space.  If you heard that setup at 'Bill's house', then went to 'Samantha's House' to hear same, you'd probably hear two different presentations, simply because of the room space they'd be in.

My personal thoughts are, if the Khorns work in your space (clear corners for approximately 4' out from corner) then you're essentially good to go.  I've always felt that changing the electronics is similar to adding different spices to your steak or soup or macaroni.....  

The base steak or soup (or whatever) is still there and adjusting the spices to taste is a personal issue (I happen to like salt for example, others may not)

Under that logic, I've always felt the electronics might adjust the sound but the base presentation of the sound is going to depend on what speakers you have and how they interact with your room.  

I've had (on my Khorns) little 2A3 amps, 300b amps, several other versions of tube amps....  solid state McIntosh and solid state dbx amps.  Heck I even had a Crown K2.

NONE of those amps changed the impact of the sound as much as swapping the Khorns out for the Jubilee's.  Rewording it a bit...  yeah, there were subtle differences in those amps (as long as you were within the powerband of said amp) and obviously, the 400 watter would crush the output of the 8 watter....  but if you held them both to 8 watts, there wasn't as big of a difference.  

Speakers first, then electronics.  If you are looking at new (and I have no idea what new Khorns cost) but I'd contend if you added the funds for both of those, got a pair of Jubilee's for yourself and used a pedestrian Crown amp (dbx and some other brands have 4-channel amps) I'd contend that you'd have a net better 'sound experience' than putting the extra cash into the Technics and mating it with new Khorns.

Meh....  I'm rambling on.....I'm just a speaker hore (I'm presuming adding the 'w' in front will get the word censored)

:emotion-21:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just my 2 cents, and I’m no expert by any means, but .5% Total Harmonic Distortion seems really high for a modern $10K amp right? 

Only bring it up bc the KHorn AK6 is famous for high efficiency, low distortion. Maybe that amount is imperceptible, like I said, not an expert - and definitely not trying to rain on your parade. Online I saw both 1% and .1% given as numbers you’d want to stay below, if anyone reading this can explain THD I’d love to read it.

Yamaha makes a $3K and an $8K integrated that looks similar to that technics, both at .07% THD that both get great reviews. McIntosh makes a few in your budget at .005% THD. Lots of others too. 

The Technics definitely seems like they put a lot of thought and tech into it. Just seemed like the THD spec is an outlier compared to most modern amps. I very well could be an idiot bringing up something that’s irrelevant. Let us know if you get a chance to hear one. Good luck on your hunt.

• Like 1

my guess is the distortion figures are high  because the Technics SU-R1000 operating temperature is  115 °F / 120°F ,   under 150 wpc the thd  is as low as .03   and it may run cooler .

The amp   delivers  a maximum of 190wpc / 1% thd  / 8 0hms and 355wpc /  1% thd /4 Ohms   ,and even then , it's noiseless , wow

Distortion figures seem to be so variable.  It's not like horsepower ratings, where peak power is just that, all the engine will do.  With amplifiers, though, how much power they put out seems to depend on how far the tester wants to push it into distortion.  The same amp may produce a very clean 125 watts or a very dirty 150 watts.  

With very sensitive Klipsch speakers, what matters for most of us, most of the time, is how quiet and clean the amp is while producing under 5 watts, a measurement that's rarely bragged about in the ads.  In the case of the MX-D1 power amps in my system, their lowest distortion area is in the 6-10 watt range, although the distortion is still pretty low everywhere else, just not as extremely low.  That makes them very suitable for home use, in contrast to the pro amps that are designed to have low distortion and noise closer to max power output, where they usually operate.  But you guys know all this already.

• Like 1

Since the TOTL Technics is likely a rare bird in-stock at most Technics dealers, other than a few high-end shops in NYC, Chicago, or LA, and the Klipschorns (or the new Heritage Jubilees, nod to Coytee) are rare birds in-stock at most Klipsch dealers, the combo may be really rare.  If you have not heard from any Forum members (an even smaller subgroup of owners) within a month or so (it'll be a month just 3 days from now), it may be time to start calling some Heritage dealers who stock K-horns (that should eliminate the majority within your area), since now the task should seem much less of a job.  Or call Technics headquarters and ask which dealers carry their top line.  It is doable.  Cops do it all the time, but although they don't show you that boring part of the job on TV, it's what gets results.

Also, if your search doesn't find the magic combo display, Coytee's advice is still good.  You didn't mention your budget, but we tend to keep speakers much longer than amplifiers.  I've had my oldest La Scalas for 15 years, and they aren't going anywhere.  With that in mind, maybe consider giving priority to your speakers in your setup.

Good luck on your quest for great listening!

• Like 1