Chorus II Tweeters

2 hours ago, Deang said:

The point was simply that if it was there to begin with, it should be there when you’re finished. Now, if you have a problem with the link or note, just ignore the information and do whatever you want.

Yes, maybe not a good a good candidate for sticky, overall, lol...

• Haha 1

Thanks everyone for your responses.  I am thinking I will reinstall the ferrofluid, although I do not run at high volumes.  The most cogent response (not that we are grading...) is from Dean, who notes that not having the fluid changes the tweeter values slightly, and such that the crossover may not filter the signal as designed.  That makes sense, and thank you very much.  Everyone else, thanks just the same..!     

• Like 2

1 hour ago, superfinemind said:

Thanks everyone for your responses.  I am thinking I will reinstall the ferrofluid, although I do not run at high volumes.  The most cogent response (not that we are grading...) is from Dean, who notes that not having the fluid changes the tweeter values slightly, and such that the crossover may not filter the signal as designed.  That makes sense, and thank you very much.  Everyone else, thanks just the same..!     

the  K-79 in the Chorus II  shipped with 2 types of diaphragms , the phenolic diaphragm ( no  FF )  or  Mylar/Poly diaphragm ( with FF  )

• 2 weeks later...

I had already reassembled the speakers without ferrofluid and tested for operation.  Without driving them hard at all, the Titanium diaphragms with no ferrofluid in the gaps were nice, very detailed, but a little harsh.  After disassembly again, and refilling the coil gap with ferrofluid graciously supplied by AMPED, the brightness was tamed, and yet the drivers were just as crisp and detailed as they should be.  At this point, with new fluid, new Ti diaphragms and new capacitors, I could not be happier.  At some point, I will haul these into a space larger than my 13x17 listening room, and really find out what they can do.  I run them with 10-watts of tube power right now, which is more than ample for my room, but I have 50, 100 and 150-watt McIntosh amps on hand, and that would be a fun experiment.  I also hear tell that K55V's and A55G's will work in the Chorus II using the K-61 horn, which is a drop-in replacement.  That might be fun as well...   

Thanks to everyone for all your help.  Have a good Memorial Day, and remember above all the sacrifices of those who gave their last full measure so we could have the freedom to argue in comfort the relative merits of OFC, toe-in, and tubes vs solid state.             

• Like 2

1 hour ago, superfinemind said:

I also hear tell that K55V's and A55G's will work in the Chorus II using the K-61 horn, which is a drop-in replacement.  That might be fun as well...   

K-61 is the combination of the K53 driver on the K-602 horn that is in your Chorus II

The K-604 horn is the 1 3/8" threaded version of the K-602 that is used in some pro gear.  Different screw pattern, but otherwise a drop in replacement.

34 minutes ago, OO1 said:

the  16 Ohms  k-55V or the Forte III -IV mids  drivers would  work with  klipsch capacitors / diaphragms  , otherwise leave as-is 

None of those will work as well as the K53 without making changes to the network.

Can't discuss that here...

yes ,  we can  ,    klipsch Forum members can discuss using  all klipsch Approved parts  in technical restorations of klipsch speakers   ,  a few   examples  ,  Forte III / Forte IV kits or a Heresy II /Heresy III kits sold directly from klipsch parts   ,  woofers for the CF-4 /KLF -30 , passive woofers for the Chorus II-Forte II-III-IV  series , K-33 woofers ,  klipsch tweeter/ midrange Titanium diaphragms ,  @JEM Performance capacitors , @Deang crossovers , etc ,  

10 minutes ago, OO1 said:

yes ,  we can  ,    klipsch Forum members can discuss using  all klipsch Approved parts  in technical restorations of klipsch speakers   ,  a few   examples  ,  Forte III / Forte IV kits or a Heresy II /Heresy III kits sold directly from klipsch parts   ,  woofers for the CF-4 /KLF -30 , passive woofers for the Chorus II-Forte II-III-IV  series , K-33 woofers ,  klipsch tweeter/ midrange Titanium diaphragms ,  @JEM Performance capacitors , @Deang crossovers , etc ,  

Gotcha.  

k55v is done long before the 7,000 hertz cross to the tweeter in the chorus ii.  Tweeter high pass should be lowered.

Stock chorus ii network relies on the natural rolloff of the k53 at it’s upper end.  Unless the replacement mid has the same roll off, a bandpass will be needed for any driver that plays higher.  Forte iii (k70) and forte iv (k702) drivers included.  The horn itself is used to 20khz in some pro 2 way speakers.  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, winglet said:

k55v is done long before the 7,000 hertz cross to the tweeter in the chorus ii.  Tweeter high pass should be lowered.

I conducted a test a few years back testing the soldered lug k-55v in a forte II on a threaded insert k-604 horn and IIRC driver dropped off at around 6300hz, By comparison the stock driver dropped at I believe 6700hz so not as big of a difference as one might imagine. I actually preferred the 55 in my Chorus II's over the stock driver by a lot. 

31 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I conducted a test a few years back testing the soldered lug k-55v in a forte II on a threaded insert k-604 horn and IIRC driver dropped off at around 6300hz, By comparison the stock driver dropped at I believe 6700hz so not as big of a difference as one might imagine. I actually preferred the 55 in my Chorus II's over the stock driver by a lot. 

I was hoping you’d chime in.  I remember reading about your chorus when i was digging thru old posts.

I forget, did you use the k55v on a k604 or a k602 with an adapter?

9 hours ago, winglet said:

I was hoping you’d chime in.  I remember reading about your chorus when i was digging thru old posts.

I forget, did you use the k55v on a k604 or a k602 with an adapter?

I had the 604 horns for my Chorus II's but in an effort to try and make the mod more easily available for everyone I put together some stock horns with adapters to see if it could work. The drivers fit in the cabinet but the 602 horn has part of the phase plug built into the horn and a few people who tried it claimed it didn't sound right.