What to buy? Mint forte II's w/ cross over modded & crites titanium tweeter vs forte II's stock w/ reduced price vs cornwall II's also in great condition.

2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

I did that almost a year after I bought my Forte III right when they came out. The fully horn loaded are exceptional if you have the $$ and space.

But I think Cornwall IIs for that price can not be beat!

Back to my movie... haven't seen "Secondhand Lions" in a long time and it's just good fun!

Man I've heard, haven't been lucky enough to hear them in person yet. But for sure excited for the cornwalls!

Ah haven't seen it yet but it's on the list.

Edited by AverageJoe
  • Like 1

Opinions are...

I get it but also have heard you lose out on some bass response if there is a hollow area under any speaker.

Played with my old Heresy II a few times and found that to be true!

Not An Expert but definitely opinionated!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JohnJ said:

Opinions are...

I get it but also have heard you lose out on some bass response if there is a hollow area under any speaker.

Played with my old Heresy II a few times and found that to be true!

Not An Expert but definitely opinionated!!

Ya that's what I figured as well. Good to know!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AverageJoe said:

I might be getting ahead of myself but I've also read that some people prefer to have them raised a bit to get them to the optimal ear level, has that been anyone's experience here as well?

That is true. Sitting and listening is one thing. As John said, the dope from hope is informative in different scenarios. Hope Arkansas...

Different rooms and position will dictate. As for crossover refresh, another topic. Would listen for abit before contemplating.

7 hours ago, AverageJoe said:

I might be getting ahead of myself but I've also read that some people prefer to have them raised a bit to get them to the optimal ear level, has that been anyone's experience here as well?

Because my listening room is in the basement, I raised my CIIs about 3 inches for water safety/flooding reasons.  I did also experience some improvement in the soundstage.  I think it's best to boost them up on a solid foundation (in my case paving bricks and plywood) rather than something with a hollow cavity.  Good luck on your journey!

• Like 2

@AverageJoe

Are you already in your new space? Take some paper/poster board/ whatever, cut out dimensions of speakers you are looking at an place on floor to check placement. Cornwalls are wide and may not fit well in the corner next to tv/fireplace. Bass response on left side will be different than right side corner.

What are the actual room dimensions? I would be looking at the Fortes.

Congrats on the new space!

EDIT: just saw the dimensions (duh!) I might still go with the Fortes.

picture no 1 is a klipsch genuine diaphragm  , it is perfect , the dome has a ridge to center the dome over the phase plug , this is precision ,   klipsch quality standards .

0015971_127123-k-792103-ti-diaphragm-kit.jpeg

picture no 2 is a brand new Crites Titanium diaphragm ,  the hand stamped titanium dome is so bad quality , there is a dent-deformation  at 9 o'clock ,  heck it's not even a perfectly centered  dome   the gasket holes dont  line up evenly at 3 o'clock   . 

Picture 1 of 1

I

6 hours ago, Marvel said:

@AverageJoe

Are you already in your new space? Take some paper/poster board/ whatever, cut out dimensions of speakers you are looking at an place on floor to check placement. Cornwalls are wide and may not fit well in the corner next to tv/fireplace. Bass response on left side will be different than right side corner.

What are the actual room dimensions? I would be looking at the Fortes.

Congrats on the new space!

EDIT: just saw the dimensions (duh!) I might still go with the Fortes.

I second the suggestion about using a template to better visualize the speaker sizes.  It’s a significant difference between the two.  C4 and F3, but nearly the same as the older ones:

1B394507-EB2B-4F42-8A22-B5C52184087A.jpeg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, OO1 said:

concentrate on the stock speakers and work on the price  whether the Forte II or Cornwall II  , 

aftermarket parts alter the klipsch sound in a negative way , while klipsch  original  parts do not  , factory capacitors and tweeter diaphragms  are available from klipsch for  pretty much  the same cost as aftermarkets + Forte II crossovers may still be in perfect specs , so you can stretch the expense for later .

I tend to agree....  If something is broken and an OEM replacement is no longer available from Klipsch, then fine.  ..Go with aftermarket.  But to swap out perfectly functional parts w/ aftermarket seems hairball to me.  It's like saying "Klipsch makes great speakers but their cross-overs and drivers are easily bettered by someone who did NOT engineer the speaker."  Would love to know what PWK would think on this subject.  My hunch is he'd agree with me.

I know for sure I would be far less inclined to buy a used pair of Kllpsch speakers that have been modified w/ non-stock parts.  Probably a non-starter for me.  If it's been modified, I'll look for another pair.  That's goes double for components.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ODS123 said:

I know for sure I would be far less inclined to buy a used pair of Kllpsch speakers that have been modified w/ non-stock parts.  Probably a non-starter for me.  If it's been modified, I'll look for another pair.  That's goes double for components.

THIS.  There are plenty of Klipsch out there that haven't been mucked around with.

Those Forte II with the crites woofers you're looking at?  If they are the pair I think, no way are they worth that money in clear lacquer oak in that condition.. or any condition personally..

20 hours ago, OO1 said:

concentrate on the stock speakers and work on the price  whether the Forte II or Cornwall II  , 

aftermarket parts alter the klipsch sound in a negative way , while klipsch  original  parts do not  , factory capacitors and tweeter diaphragms  are available from klipsch for  pretty much  the same cost as aftermarkets + Forte II crossovers may still be in perfect specs , so you can stretch the expense for later .

“Forte II  great condition stock” or stock Cornwalls , look at those  . My advice is that if you like the Klipsch heritage sound ,Keep them stock . Lots of backyard mechanics and tinkerers believe they can improve the sound of these already great sounding speakers , but be careful , it’s much much easier to degrade rather than improve on their sound , I’ve listened to my share of “upgraded” / modified speakers that left me disappointed and shaking my head  . 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

22 hours ago, OO1 said:

picture no 1 is a klipsch genuine diaphragm  , it is perfect , the dome has a ridge to center the dome over the phase plug , this is precision ,   klipsch quality standards .

0015971_127123-k-792103-ti-diaphragm-kit.jpeg

picture no 2 is a brand new Crites Titanium diaphragm ,  the hand stamped titanium dome is so bad quality , there is a dent-deformation  at 9 o'clock ,  heck it's not even a perfectly centered  dome   the gasket holes dont  line up evenly at 3 o'clock   . 

Picture 1 of 1

Is picture 1 titanium as well?

4 hours ago, OO1 said:

yes , Titanium with a shiny finish  

Where do you go to buy these on the klipsch website? I can’t seem to find anywhere where you can buy parts like this. Also, was looking at simplyspeakers.com and they talk about you can add ferrofluid to it if you want fot more money.  Also says you can designate how much of that you want to add.  I’m a bit confused by this as I thought speakers either did or didn’t have ferrofluid.  I’m assuming the ones that you pictured already had the correct amount in them but I’m not sure can you please explain…?

10 hours ago, xo705cf said:

Where do you go to buy these on the klipsch website? I can’t seem to find anywhere where you can buy parts like this. Also, was looking at simplyspeakers.com and they talk about you can add ferrofluid to it if you want fot more money.  Also says you can designate how much of that you want to add.  I’m a bit confused by this as I thought speakers either did or didn’t have ferrofluid.  I’m assuming the ones that you pictured already had the correct amount in them but I’m not sure can you please explain…?

Sure can ,   klipsch  Part # 127123    is only the diaphragm , last price was 32$ , but you can also buy the entire tweeter from klipsch Parts

1-800-554-7724 / or email https://support.klipsch.com/hc/en-us/requests/new  

You DO NOT need  to  use , nor add ferrofluid for the titanium diaphragms  , but  you can add FF if you want to have more durability at higher power output , FF cools the Voice coil when the tweeters are pushed hard for longer periods .

3 hours ago, OO1 said:

Sure can ,   klipsch  Part # 12712$  is only the diaphragm , last price was 32$ , but you can also buy the entire tweeter from klipsch Parts

1-800-554-7724 / or email https://support.klipsch.com/hc/en-us/requests/new  

You DO NOT need  to  use , nor add ferrofluid for the titanium diaphragms  , but  you can add FF if you want to have more durability at higher power output , FF cools the Voice coil when the tweeters are pushed hard for longer periods .

Is adding the fluid some thing I would do on my own or is that some thing that I would have klipsch do for me before they send me the part

14 hours ago, xo705cf said:

Is adding the fluid some thing I would do on my own or is that some thing that I would have klipsch do for me before they send me the part

you would have to purchase  FF  either from Klipsch or from an online retailer like Parts express and add it to the voice coil gap of the tweeter  ,  check with klipsch  

quick question , what speakers do you currently own   ?