Heritage 3.1 Setup

Mudcat3434

Hi all! Years ago I posted here when I got my La Scala speakers from my father. Currently, I am in 2.1 with the La Scalas and a RP-1200sw. It is amazing for my listening levels and living room. If I were to add a center speaker to make it 3.1 (eventually 3.2) what would be best to have everything blend well? My first thought was bite the bullet and find a single B Stock or even used Cornwall for the center speaker, but then I saw Bob Crites has his own center speaker. Has anyone used this? Any other suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Budget is a factor, but only as far as timeframe goes. If the answer is an investment above $1,500 that's fine; it just means I will have to save specifically for a bit to get there. I don't want to rush out and just buy something to get to 3.1, but Bob Crites Type CSC-1 Center Channel Speaker intrigued me at $1,015 and I know his business is respected among the Klipsch crew here. He rebuilt my crossovers on the Scalas. Anyway, thoughts on that particular center speaker or other options?

57 minutes ago, CWOReilly said:

If you have the space a third La Scala would be great. 

23 minutes ago, Tom05 said:

Anything but Lascala would be a downgrade, as the center is arguably the most important and prominent front stage speaker. Good luck.

1 minute ago, Zen Traveler said:

I agree a third LsScala would be best but it seems very few people can accommodate it's size without massive rearranging or aesthetics. That said, it's interesting to read about center channels diyed for this purpose...

I was scared this would be the answer, but I can't say it wasn't expected. Space in my current space wouldn't necessarily be an issue in my current open living room. Probably not quite as able to spread them out as much as they should, but doable. That is lots of money for sure, but like I said it is really just a matter of saving over time if this is where I want to go with my setup. If I were to decide to go this route; with these being original 70s era La Scalas, should I be looking for a single from that era to match? Would an updated modern La Scala (B stock, new, or used) clash with my current ones? I am unfamiliar with how different, if at all, new, updated La Scalas are from my originals in sound as I have only ever heard mine.

• Like 1

It can be tough to fit in  a Lascala center . But it’s worth the trouble . Front projection with a transparent screen is a good solution , as is a Lascala mounted above the TV upside down and tilted towards the listeners .This is a great  looking setup . If room isn’t an issue then definitely go Lascala , you’ll never regret it .

49 minutes ago, Tom05 said:

It can be tough to fit in  a Lascala center . But it’s worth the trouble . Front projection with a transparent screen is a good solution , as is a Lascala mounted above the TV upside down and tilted towards the listeners .This is a great  looking setup .🤓

Oh wow I would have never thought of a La Scala mounted upside down lol. Unless that was a joke haha. That is insane. Insanely cool.

49 minutes ago, Mudcat3434 said:

Oh wow I would have never thought of a La Scala mounted upside down lol. Unless that was a joke haha. That is insane. Insanely cool.

It works, and it looks sweet , maybe not for every situation though 🤓

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mudcat3434 said:

I was scared this would be the answer, but I can't say it wasn't expected. Space in my current space wouldn't necessarily be an issue in my current open living room. Probably not quite as able to spread them out as much as they should, but doable. That is lots of money for sure, but like I said it is really just a matter of saving over time if this is where I want to go with my setup. If I were to decide to go this route; with these being original 70s era La Scalas, should I be looking for a single from that era to match? Would an updated modern La Scala (B stock, new, or used) clash with my current ones? I am unfamiliar with how different, if at all, new, updated La Scalas are from my originals in sound as I have only ever heard mine.

I’d look for a 70s era you’ll have a better match. Aesthetically and acoustically. Or you’d need three again. I’m in market for single LSI Split myself. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have to disagree with some of these posts.  Yes, a third La Scala might sound the best, but its size, especially its depth, would be an issue, particularly because it's important that there be little or nothing ahead of a line drawn from the front of one main speaker over to the front of the other speaker, that is, the speakers should be able to "see" each other.

Accordingly, a much better choice for centre channel is the Belle Klipsch.  Its sound is very close to the La Scala, differing only because of the different squawker horn.  Since the Belle was specifically designed to be a centre channel between Khorns or La Scalas, its depth is only 18"/45 cm.  This makes the Belle easier to fit into a room, and its front is recessed relative to Khorns or La Scalas, which reduces any sound issues due to its presence between the main speakers.  Finally, the Belle Klipsch makes a great TV stand.  It can easily support a 65" TV, and possibly an even bigger one.  The TV winds up sitting a bit higher than usual, but that just adds to the feel of being in an actual cinema.

The one problem is that it can be difficult to find a single Belle, so you sometimes have to buy a pair to get yourself a single.  However, since this is a popular way to go, you may be able to sell the second speaker.  You might even make a profit on it, since, as I mentioned above, single Belles are hard to find.  Another option is to add the second Belle to your system, as a rear centre speaker, so you can have a 6.1 or 6.2 system.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Coytee said:

What's her name?

Oh wait....  I'm still married....never mind & carry on.

You know, might want the single Belle for myself. Keeping

company and speaks when I'm

In the mood.

Cool...:(oops wrong Annie Oakley emoji 

Edited by billybob

18 hours ago, archdukeobvious said:

I have a 75 inch TV mounted above my LaScala center. I just got an articulating wall mount and have it pulled flush to be even with the front of the LaScala. 

If you can work with its depth, the La Scala is a great choice for centre speaker, but what are your main speakers?

• Like 1

OP, no personal experience between any Crites stuff but between 2 La Scala's any of the smaller Heritage models, especially the Cornwall or Heresy would make a phenomenal center channel. The Forte is less ideal for this because of the rear passive radiator and less so the new Hersey with the rear port. The aforementioned classic Belle would be great as well if your LS' are vintage (20+ yrs old) since the Belle is lower profile depth wise and easier to integrate as a center channel.

That said, the Hersey II/III or Cornwall III would be a really good match and both were the only purpose built center channel heritage speakers when they first came out between 2 KHorns. The new Hersey has the port and new drivers and the new Cornwall mumps horn so tonally Belle or previous Hersey, Cornwall or Pro Models would be your best bet.

The Hersey has a similar bass extension to the La Scala (mid-high 50's Hz) so it would actually be a really good match in your case. The II or III especially since they're sealed and have tight, zippy bass.

I have used a Hersey III 70th center between 2 70th KHorns for the better part of 4 years, vertically and now just recently horizontally and it's a fantastic tonal match with 57hz xover to the sub for movies and 55hz to the mains for music. My processor let's me change the bass management depending on movie or music listening automatically depending on incoming signal and DSP/listening mode.

I briefly tried an RC-64 III which was absolutely terrible sounding compared to the Hersey III, muddy and veiled, lifeless by comparison and stuck out like a sore thumb between KHorn AK5.5s. I guess I've been spoiled by the air and dynamics of the KHorns that stand out, but it's clear they were voiced for the RF-7. Also didn't help that the RC-64 I had custom built by the Klipsch factory they didn't do a good job with the veneer which was a shame since the Aussie walnut custom Forte IV's they made for me were absolutely incredible and look just like my other 70th speakers. I guess singles are tough, but they looked nothing like the pair you can find on google they made a few years back that were done perfect.

The La Scala, particularly the recent LSII and AL5 despite having the same top section as the KHorn AK5/AK5.5 and AK6 actually has a different tone to the midrange and low end. It's not just the lower bass extension that's different. The Paducah guys would agree. In fact an RC-64 III would match a lot better to a La Scala (II or AL5) then it would a recent KHorn and a handful of guys I've seen around here and elsewhere seem to do that. Classic LS's might be different though as Klipsch has made a lot of driver, horn and crossover changes over the last 50 years to the heritage line. The older LS's still had a lot more of their original PA application "grit" and the speaker has been tamed a lot since the early days.

A 3rd La Scala center is really hard to do for most people, especially between toe'd in KHorns because of the depth on the La Scala makes it non-option for many people since it would stick out. But those that can make it work do seem to like it a lot, as do lucky owners of Belle centers between LS's or KHorns. In dedicated home theaters 3 LS' across the front for LCR where there are no furniture or room furnishing issues is a bit of a different story. From what I've heard with the Hersey though and the Cornwall being it's bigger brother, I would personally prefer a Cornwall between my KHorns if I had to pick, but each to their own.

There is also something nice about supplementing the 2 horn bass units with one directly radiating bass unit that retains much of the same tonal character and "zip" to the sound. It actually compliments the bass horns really well when placement, crossover, amp/gear and subwoofer settings are dialed in based on my own experiences. But everyone has their own preferences.

Belle, Heresy or Cornwall you can't go wrong with any of them. I personally think a Hersey II/III would do amazing in your setup due to a similar frequency response to the LS.

Just my overall thoughts.

Good luck!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2023 at 6:40 PM, sixspeed said:

OP, no personal experience between any Crites stuff but between 2 La Scala's any of the smaller Heritage models, especially the Cornwall or Heresy would make a phenomenal center channel. The Forte is less ideal for this because of the rear passive radiator and less so the new Hersey with the rear port. The aforementioned classic Belle would be great as well if your LS' are vintage (20+ yrs old) since the Belle is lower profile depth wise and easier to integrate as a center channel.

That said, the Hersey II/III or Cornwall III would be a really good match and both were the only purpose built center channel heritage speakers when they first came out between 2 KHorns. The new Hersey has the port and new drivers and the new Cornwall mumps horn so tonally Belle or previous Hersey, Cornwall or Pro Models would be your best bet.

The Hersey has a similar bass extension to the La Scala (mid-high 50's Hz) so it would actually be a really good match in your case. The II or III especially since they're sealed and have tight, zippy bass.

I have used a Hersey III 70th center between 2 70th KHorns for the better part of 4 years, vertically and now just recently horizontally and it's a fantastic tonal match with 57hz xover to the sub for movies and 55hz to the mains for music. My processor let's me change the bass management depending on movie or music listening automatically depending on incoming signal and DSP/listening mode.

I briefly tried an RC-64 III which was absolutely terrible sounding compared to the Hersey III, muddy and veiled, lifeless by comparison and stuck out like a sore thumb between KHorn AK5.5s. I guess I've been spoiled by the air and dynamics of the KHorns that stand out, but it's clear they were voiced for the RF-7. Also didn't help that the RC-64 I had custom built by the Klipsch factory they didn't do a good job with the veneer which was a shame since the Aussie walnut custom Forte IV's they made for me were absolutely incredible and look just like my other 70th speakers. I guess singles are tough, but they looked nothing like the pair you can find on google they made a few years back that were done perfect.

The La Scala, particularly the recent LSII and AL5 despite having the same top section as the KHorn AK5/AK5.5 and AK6 actually has a different tone to the midrange and low end. It's not just the lower bass extension that's different. The Paducah guys would agree. In fact an RC-64 III would match a lot better to a La Scala (II or AL5) then it would a recent KHorn and a handful of guys I've seen around here and elsewhere seem to do that. Classic LS's might be different though as Klipsch has made a lot of driver, horn and crossover changes over the last 50 years to the heritage line. The older LS's still had a lot more of their original PA application "grit" and the speaker has been tamed a lot since the early days.

A 3rd La Scala center is really hard to do for most people, especially between toe'd in KHorns because of the depth on the La Scala makes it non-option for many people since it would stick out. But those that can make it work do seem to like it a lot, as do lucky owners of Belle centers between LS's or KHorns. In dedicated home theaters 3 LS' across the front for LCR where there are no furniture or room furnishing issues is a bit of a different story. From what I've heard with the Hersey though and the Cornwall being it's bigger brother, I would personally prefer a Cornwall between my KHorns if I had to pick, but each to their own.

There is also something nice about supplementing the 2 horn bass units with one directly radiating bass unit that retains much of the same tonal character and "zip" to the sound. It actually compliments the bass horns really well when placement, crossover, amp/gear and subwoofer settings are dialed in based on my own experiences. But everyone has their own preferences.

Belle, Heresy or Cornwall you can't go wrong with any of them. I personally think a Hersey II/III would do amazing in your setup due to a similar frequency response to the LS.

Just my overall thoughts.

Good luck!!

Wow good stuff. So this makes me rethink the La Scala center I have been arduously in search for between my original post and now. Mainly because I spoke to Michael Crites and he suggested as does everyone, you guessed it another La Scala is best. He said absolutely not to go with his CSC-1. He said it will not blend well. However, he did say his CS2 speaker is a Heresy 1 with all upgraded and better componentes. Upgraded in every way but maintaining that sound signature and that it would be very good as a Center in his opinion. So this may be a way to go. I am leaning towards this after seeing your post. Mainly because there is very little risk and it is much easier to make this work under my TV. If it doesn’t work as a center I can utilize it as a standalone mono channel in my at home office and add another at a later date making them my surrounds and still be in the same boat of another La Scala for center and be none the worse off. In fact, closer to a kick *** 5.1 set up.

Edited by Mudcat3434
  • Thanks 1