Input sensitivity Khorn with sub

I have an M&K sub with a Khorn setup. The Khorns are so sensitive, the sub does not have enough gain to properly match the line level for an appropriate mains-to-sub balance. There are some subs with adjustable input sensitivity; this sub is not one of them. 

Any recommendation or experience with changing the input sensitivity (besides “Buy a new sub.”?  Maybe solder in some different resistors so volume control will have enough gain?

They're Klipschorns for cryin' out loud! Ain't no average subwoofer gonna keep up!

It's not your line input level; your sub amp just does not have enough cylinders to run on, know what I'm sayin?

Get the biggest sub you can afford, and I recommend a 15" driver, to match the size of the Klipsch woofer. You may even need TWO subs to keep up with the Klipschorns.

Even SVS recommends their crazy sized subwoofers with Klipschorns when using their subwoofer matching tool.

I recently asked about hooking up a sub using my two-channel amp with Khorns. I asked whether I  could tap the speaker's woofer output from the crossover with a resistor significantly larger than the 16 ohm impedance of the woofer and feed th at tap to the sub. I didn't get an official reply but I think it would work. That would feed just the bass frequencies to the sub and you could still use the sub's filtering settings.

I have not tapped the woofer crossover output yet. I was trying to find out if this would work. Depending upon the resistor value one should be able to get enough signal for the sub amp. And the sub amp would follow the main amp's volume setting, so once set the sub should stay in sync.

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2023 at 10:16 AM, pnort said:

I have not tapped the woofer crossover output yet. I was trying to find out if this would work. Depending upon the resistor value one should be able to get enough signal for the sub amp. And the sub amp would follow the main amp's volume setting, so once set the sub should stay in sync.

Well my subwoofer’s plate amplifier has an internal crossover (actually, a pretty good one), so there is really no need to tap into the woofer leg of the Khorn’s network because the sub only allows the low frequencies to pass to the driver any way.  Also, a Khorn’s woofer leg crosses over at 400Hz (around the middle of the piano), so the frequency range would not be appropriate for a subwoofer which should really operate at frequencies about 80Hz and below. 

However, you do give me an idea for  a potential solution: I could make a resistor box that brings down the amplifier’s speaker output to any potential “line level” desired. 

Thank you for your thoughtful replies. 

Respectfully,

Andy

Ok so with it all running can you cut out the mains,the KHorns? If you do so does the sub sound like it is at its max? If so then yes I agree you will need to cut the level to the mains. If not perhaps adding more gain to the sub with a line level amp is in order.

16 hours ago, babadono said:

Ok so with it all running can you cut out the mains,the KHorns? If you do so does the sub sound like it is at its max? If so then yes I agree you will need to cut the level to the mains. If not perhaps adding more gain to the sub with a line level amp is in order.

Yes. The sub will crank right up without the mains. There just does not seem to be enough voltage to drive the sub because the KHorns are so sensitive/efficient. What is the best way to add gain to the sub?

On 6/5/2023 at 4:24 PM, Klipschguy said:

Yes. The sub will crank right up without the mains. There just does not seem to be enough voltage to drive sub because the KHorns are so sensitive/efficient. What is the best way to add gain to the sub?

Oh, so I get it; you're taking a line level signal from the preamp and running it in parallel to BOTH the sub input AND the amp driving the Klipschorns?

If that's so, I can understand how the sub is not getting enough signal; the current is being divided between the sub's input needs and the amp dedicated to the Klipschorns.

The line level amp recommended by babadono would be a viable solution.

Otherwise, your next solution is to ADD resistance to the signal feeding the amp driving the Klipschorns.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Peter P. said:

Oh, so I get it; you're taking a line level signal from the preamp and running it in parallel to BOTH the sub input AND the amp driving the Klipschorns?

Yes. My apologies for not being more clear.

(Funny, the “Old School” in me tends to assume everyone is running their Heritage with a more traditional 2 channel preamp/amp combination.)

@Klipschguy Is what @Peter P. stated true? You have a line level signal going to the sub AND a line level signal going to a separate power amp for the mains which in your case are KHorns?. I thought you were running the KHorns out of the speaker output of a receiver which also had a line level output that you are feeding the sub with. In my first post I said "we need more info":D So if you in fact have a separate power amp for the KHorns, it does not have gain controls? Power amps without gain controls I will never understand. It just makes very little sense to me.