Casters on La Scala

What is the general consensus on installing casters on a La Scalas?  Any change to sound character?  Other considerations?  Anyone have a type they have really liked?  

The speakers will be installed in a home with wood floors and throw carpets.  

If you however, decided to put castors on....  I'd not put them on (under/inside)  the speaker per se'.  Rather, I'd build a (roughly) 2x2 dolly and set the speakers on the dolly and have the castors mounted to the dolly.  I'm guessing you would not have put holes into the speakers but I'd bet some have.  Do you have/use a sub?  If you had a sub, I'd wonder how much that gap would impact the sound.  I'd imagine it would not be terribly expensive to find out....  you could simply stack a couple 2x4's to get the rise and see what happens.  If you're ok, then buy the castors and cut the 2x4's to size to make the dolly.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OO1 said:

casters  affect the bass delivery of the LS ,  as the  LS bass bin is no longer  flush with  the floor 

The connection to the floor is an important design element in the bass delivery?   This must also apply to K-horn. 

I remember reading about mounting other types of speakers on heavy stands and installing spikes that firmly connected the system to the floor.   

• Like 2

I don't like the look of casters.  However, the wavelength of bass notes, compared to 3" or 4" a set of casters will raise the bass horn make it a "no never mind".  Install your casters, if you want, without fear.

• Like 1

Casters for at least 5 years

IKEA 125lb ea, 3.5-4 in screwed to the bottom

improved mid horn at ear level

plenty of bass, I also have a front firing sub I sometimes turn on.

I would do it again in a second

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chronometers said:

The connection to the floor is an important design element in the bass delivery?   This must also apply to K-horn. 

I remember reading about mounting other types of speakers on heavy stands and installing spikes that firmly connected the system to the floor.   

Important?  Sure, it's a boundary layer that reflects bass energy, but a few inches are irrelevant.  The Klipschorn's bass horn works a little differently, the walls and floor are an imperfect part of the horn. 

The mass of the Klipsch "Big 3" negates the need for spikes and heavy stands.  The moving mass of the woofer is so small in relation to the speaker, it will not cause cabinet movement.  The old Rat Shack Mach 1 was a perfect example of light cabinet/heavy woofer needing an anchor. 

Rule #5 of PWK’s "  8 Cardinal Points of Reproduction  "

5. Freedom from cavities. The space under a speaker box ,  can destroy the bottom octave of response and deteriorate the next two octaves  .

• Like 3

Yup.  That's why Heresies, Cornwalls, Belle Klipsch, Fortes, Chorus, Reference Premier, Reference and Synergy, at least, are raised off the floor with a cavity and/or feet.  You know, the 5th law of robotics!  

• Like 2