Pair of LS with three blown drivers -- where to get replacements? Cost?

Hi all....Just received a black pair of LS from 1997 with AL-3 crossovers long distance (250 miles away).  These were ex-theater speakers reportedly. 

Lesson learned, don't buy remotely.  At least they were on eBay so I have recourse (send back or he covers making them right).

Seller said speakers worked but failed to tell me not all components worked.

Two tweeters and one squawker show no continuity (blown).

Where can I get replacement drivers and/or diaphragms? Should I replace both mid-range units to have "matched set" or is this not realistic/ necessary? Do I have to replace entire units or can I indeed swap in the inner diaphragms?

How much should I allocate costwise for replacement of these components (seller will reimburse).

One cabinet shows separation around back edge and top of bass housing (next to xover).  A friend of mind who is a woodworker said it has just separated at seam and that careful wood gluing and clamps will fix it.  I will allocate freetime to this repair.  Does seam separation occur in LS?  

Other then above issues, they seem well constructed and have grill covers.   I had an early pair of K-horns (from 1950s and mid-1960s in the 1980s....one bought for mono system then 2nd added for stereo....PWK personally upgraded the pair in the 1960s) and really enjoyed them.  Hoping to get these LSs up and running.  

Edited by chronometers

17 hours ago, Tinnitus said:

The squawkers in these speakers appear to be K-55-M.

That is correct.  I found a NOS replacement squawker driver made by EV in 1997 for $200. 

Was going to replace tweeters with flush mount ones made by John Allen. 

Is this a good approach at least initially to get the units working?     

Edited by chronometers

5 hours ago, chronometers said:

That is correct.  I found a NOS replacement squawker driver made by EV in 1997 for $200. 

Was going to replace tweeters with flush mount ones made by John Allen. 

Is this a good approach at least initially to get the units working?     

You should listen to Roy (Chief Bonehead).....he knows!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chronometers said:

I'm new to driver mechanics.  Can you explain the difference?  Can I have them rebuilt to their original specs?  

If the drivers are blown, typically the diaphragm is the suspect. Figured it wAs covered above.

While the magnet could shift and ruin a compression driver, normally, the voicecoil in the diaphragm opens and the fix is easy for a trained tech.  It is equal to reconing a woofer.  NB: the K-55-V/X and K-55-M diaphragms are quite similar and some have said the -V (Atlas) diaphragm can be modified to fit a -M, they are NOT the same. 

127127-Rear.jpg

spacer.png

$200 sounds like way too much for a K-55-M. 

Newer tweeters that flush mount the tweeter mouths will be a nice upgrade.  You will hear that.  Send me a PM. 

Listen a while once they're fixed.  At that age, they may be ready for new capacitors.  La Scala's are not polite and "laid back".  They live and breathe in the room with you. 

• Like 2

On 6/9/2023 at 12:16 PM, chronometers said:

I'm new to driver mechanics.  Can you explain the difference?  Can I have them rebuilt to their original specs?  

See if someone can help you with this. You needed the precanned fix, the one done thousands of times here.