Unusual High Pitched Whine/Ringing Sound

YK Thom

Good morning, last evening we noticed a faint high pitched ring/whine sound in our condo. Initially thought it might be from upstairs but discovered it was coming from our speakers. I use what is now an older Marantz SR5008. It was most noticeable coming out of my Klipsch rears which I disconnected but inspection found it coming from my Ohm fronts as well. I turned off and unplugged everything in case it was electrical. That seemed to do the trick...until I rehooked the rears and then it returned. I disconnected the rear speakers again and left the entire system unplugged overnight. For now any way it seems to be gone. Does this sound like a wiring problem/electrical ( I have a cat that sometimes sneaks behind the equipment), or perhaps is the AVR preparing to depart this mortal coil? Any thoughts or similar experiences would be appreciated.

• Like 1

That AVR isn't that old but yes.

It is old enough to have accumulated dust hair through vents on top if applicable.  SR-7500 had, cat liked lying on top of.

May not be your situation but, sound could come back, or not.

A look around connections may not help. Others may have a say.

• Like 1

Going to pick up a can of compressed air for dust removal this afternoon as well. She can't get to the receiver but general dust and hair floating around may be an issue. I think perhaps she may have jostled the wires in the back. With three channels and the sub going all is fine...at the moment.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, YK Thom said:

Good morning, last evening we noticed a faint high pitched ring/whine sound in our condo. Initially thought it might be from upstairs but discovered it was coming from our speakers. I use what is now an older Marantz SR5008. 

the Marantz SR5008. has an internal fan  , clean the fan ,  make sure it  spins  freely   , check the wiring  for dry ends , remove   the cover .  blow the internals with  air   , DO NOT USE a cold compressed air can as  it can damage electronics   , spray DeoxIT D5 on  potentiometers   , spray DeoxIT on a rag and wipe   the connectors for a clean contact  .

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, billybob said:

Maybe you can determine which side rear by unhooking one and then the other, while happening again. Unless both.

The first time it happened last night it was all speakers including the centre.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

The first time it happened last night it was all speakers including the centre.

Maybe an anomaly that won't happen again. Yet, think it wise while blowing off the dust, debris outside to look at unit for anything eye visible. Condition may have been at a certain temp. for instance. So, yes by all means be certain runs cooler and can breathe, just in case. Sure most could think this, so maybe you can get more out of the Marantz.

If a faulty resistor or broken solder joint, hard to find. Since think most are 8Ohm nominal, including the Walsh, leads back to your unit AVR unless, some interference occurred.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, billybob said:

Maybe an anomaly that won't happen again. Yet, think it wise while blowing off the dust, debris outside to look at unit for anything eye visible. Condition may have been at a certain temp. for instance. So, yes by all means be certain runs cooler and can breathe, just in case. Sure most could think this, so maybe you can get more out of the Marantz.

If a faulty resistor or broken solder joint, hard to find. Since think most are 8Ohm nominal, including the Walsh, leads back to your unit AVR unless, some interference occurred.

Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

I don't have anything that goes that far. I am in a condo tower in a city with a massive amount of power outs, the odd surge and brown out. My surge protectors might be toast as well. I'll have to go with the process of elimination. At the moment it is fine. No ryhme or reason for this .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

I don't have anything that goes that far. I am in a condo tower in a city with a massive amount of power outs, the odd surge and brown out. My surge protectors might be toast as well. I'll have to go with the process of elimination. At the moment it is fine. No ryhme or reason for this .

That was going to be next...

I seem to have cured the problem. Cleaned the entire back of the avr, checked all connections - one of the rca cables to the CD player was loose. Pulled out and re-plugged all HDMI cables. Whatever it was it seems to be gone!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update

Well I thought I had corrected the problem of the high pitched test tone sound that was being emitted. Turns out I had accidentally partially corrected it. The sound returned Thursday night. This time I discovered the true cause - the speaker connection to the centre channel! A couple of the small wires in the cable were slightly loose and touching the casing, causing a short like effect. I don't use banana plugs and will likely pick some up. Twisted the wires tight, reconnected them and it is now permanently gone. I'm amazed I didn't spot this the first time. When I was working on it last time I must have inadvertently moved the wire back into position with out realizing it.

• Thanks 2

• Moderators
On 6/10/2023 at 10:34 AM, YK Thom said:

Good morning, last evening we noticed a faint high pitched ring/whine sound in our condo. Initially thought it might be from upstairs

I was going to ask if the upstairs tenant had an annoying whiney wife or partner but that wouldn't be PC so I didn't. 

Glad you got it worked out, well done.

• Haha 1