QUICK!!! Help me convice against $1000 Bose system

My grandparents, very computer savvy and major enterntainmentphiles are planning to spend $1000 on a bose system for their computer. I guess they got a new one with DVD and all taht good stuff, however, i know that Bose are over rated adn that a Klipsch system , the 4.1, would be perfect for them... can you help me? like what are the specs for the bose? i can not find ANYWHERE on the site how low or how high it goes... that worries me! also, explain teh phantom center channel because i am sure my step grandmother will want the center channel. should i tell them to get the quintet? wiht the KSW-10, it is $699 on one site... up to $899, but that is way cheaper than $1000. not way cheaper but still cheaper and i think that you get better sound. what do i do? BOSE speakers are not as good as Klipsch right? i have heard from sooo many ppl that they are just over rated, that just cause they are small they are the best. thanks again. see ya!

------------------

-justin

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/berry/88/

Heh, it would help if you gave the MODEL of those Bose speakers you were talking about.

The thing with Bose is, while their speakers DO put out an amazingly large amount of sound for their small size, the quality can't come NEAR that of va similarly priced product from say Klipsch, AR, or other competitors.

Bose is all about looks, and some people actually buy the speakers just for that! There are people who don't want massive speakers in their living room, but want quality sound, and that's the buyer Bose targets.

As for comparing a $1,000.00 Bose setup to the Pro's (I assume you're talking USD), tell them to get the Pro's. If they want better sound though, look at a couple of other posts of mine near the top of this page, and you'll find my system. To put it simply, it's a component system (made of components from different manufacturers), it costs about 750 USD, and it could beat the holy hell outta the Pro's and ANY legal Bose system for 1000 bux smile.gif. Of course, in my setup, the components are quite a bit larger than what you'd find in a Bose setup, or the 4.1's, but still, it's not really much to give up for the sound quality.

As for the Pro's, if they decide to go with it, and watch dvd's, listen to music (well depends on their style for that one), and so forth, then the Pro's should hold them over. The Pro's will cost a little less than 1/2 of the component system I suggested, and will deliver pretty good sound. The phantom centre channel will simulate an actual centre channel in a 5.1 setup. As long as the 2 front satellites aren't moved more than 5 or so feet apart, the phantom channel should be intact. Of course, from trying out speakers in a 4.1 and a 5.1 setup, I can personally attest that a centre channel DOES make a large difference!

As for finding out the specs of the Bose system (freq. response, and what not), I seriously doubt you'll be able to find it. I was bored one day, and went into a Bose store and the salesman said that Bose does not give out those specs because they don't matter, it's what a person hears that matters. You've got to wonder why a company would refuse to give out basic specs such as frequency response that are so critical in judging a speaker's performance quantitatively. Basically, and I might be biased, but my dad used to represent Bose back in the 70's, but I think Bose sucks, value for money isn't there, and total acoustic performance is lacking. But then again, that's my opinion.

-snap-

ok, well i called too, actually i went there and they said taht they did not have the info.... hmmmm BOSE thinks that the range of sound makes no difference? Well, a sub that goes to 39 would really piss me off when i could get one that goes to 29... can BOSE speakers plug into a SONY receiver? I was told somewhere that they can't. They have a pretty nice receiver, SONY, and i think that it should be fine for the Klipsch's, what do you think? i will get the model number in a while... also, i do not know what bose system it is but probably the lifestyle series at $1000

------------------

-justin

If you want a suggestion for some great speakers, that offer very good sound along with some very good value for money, look no further than Paradigm and the Paradigm Reference speakers. But, as you should know, don't take anybody's word for audio component until you've heard it yourself. My personal feeling is that if they're looking for a real home theater setup, and they're supposedly "entertainmentphiles" than one, they wouldn't be looking at Bose, and two, the Pros are not at all a good idea, as they only offer a 4.1 solution versus a true 5.1 solution needed with a real home theater setup.

-snap-

My roomate have A bose Lifestyle II or something, I dont remember. He was so proud with his bose. After my Klipsch 4.1 came, and I want to try it in his room and he was really ammmaazzeeedd with Klipsch 4.1. One of the major difference in sub is the when I play drum sound from a CD, Bose's Sub cannot deliver clear sound and my klipcsh was able to kick the bass.

BOSE sucks!!!

My AR speakers would mash the Quintet speakers into tiny little minced plastic/metal smile.gif. I tested out the Quintets for about 1/2 an hour in a sound room, and while they were better than the Pro's, they come nowhere NEAR to the quality of my AR's.

Basically, they have two choices to go with if they choose a HT setup. They can buy a packaged system (either with a reciever or without), buy a reciever if without, and get some good sound. The advantage to that method is that all the speakers are designed to match up with each other to create a good sounding experience. The disadvantage is that with packages like this in the sub $1,000.00 range, they usually cut corners in terms of quality, and you might end up with good speakers, but a crappy sub, or any other combo.

The other choice is a component package like mine. My setup consists of hardware from 3 different manufacturers, but I did my homework before buying, and I ended up with a setup that matches together perfectly. The advantage of this setup is that you get to select the components you want. Basically, think about it like computers. If you buy that system from HP or Compaq, you'll get a decent price tag, and it's all a good package that'll work perfectly out of the box, but they might skimp on things like the sound card or video card, thus giving you sub par performance. If, on the other hand, you made your own computer, you could shop around, find the best prices, possibly match those pre-built systems for price, but end up with better components. It's the same thing here. If you want better performance in that price range, a component system would definately be the way to go.

ok... i htink i am going to tell them to get the Quintet Microsystem with the KSW-10... but.... if you can give me all the models and stuff that you have and the final price that would be great... we already have 1000ft of 12guage wire.. kinda an over kill but who cares. thanks

------------------

-justin

Acoustic Research 206HO's for the mains, and the rears (each 6" driver with 3/4" tweeter) - $75.00/pair

Acoustic Research CS25HO for the centre channel (dual 5 1/4" driver, 1" tweeter) - $75.00

Sony SAWM40 sub (12") - $150.00

Yamaha HTR 5250 reciever (500w total, 100w/channel) - $365.00

All prices are USD, and reason I'm suggesting it over the Quintets is because for about 375 USD, you get a system that would best the Quintets in every way (the speakers are so cheap because they're discontinued (not the Sony), regular price/pair was about 250), and provide MUCH better sound.

If you go with the Quintets, you'll also need to buy a reciever, unless you already have one, so factor that into the overall price as well.

Tell granny that the bose should be hangin' from the mirror with spots.

Tell granpa that small speakers like the Klipsch, are great if you want to squeeze up next to a computer, BUT

Then show them a nice Yamaha receiver with a remote control, good s-vid, DolbyDigital, DTS, all the equipment connected. Maybe grandpa would appreciate that 3 pairs of the high output AR will give him a spare if some grandkids bust one or something.

Maybe how delicate the bose look compared to 5 AR's and the Yamaha. Then you can talk them into the best, biggest Klipsch sub-woofer you can find. If you're lucky you can talk them out of the over-powered sub in 6 months.

I think egghead.com has been mentioned.

http://www.egghead.com/category/Hi_Fi_Home_Audio_all.htm