Sqawkers selection with Khorns

MarkF

I am wondering how many other Klipchorn users are using different mid range drivers and horns or if I am the only one. I think my mods have resulted in a tremendous improvement in the sound of my Khorns. With the addition of the ALK crossover, Altec 288K drivers and Altec 805B horns, good wiring and 2A3 tubes driving, tube CD and 6SN7 preamp, this things sounds unbelievably smooth. I measured it 2 weeks ago with an audio frequency generator and a good db meter and it was remarkably flat, considering my room is no anechoic chamber.

Just your thoughts.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

The ALK crossovers were designed by Al Klappenberger. If you search the Klipsch BB you will see Al is a frequent contributor. His background is in crossover design and I can tell you it makes a significant improvement to the sound. Much better transients and much much smoother. Couple the ALK crossover ($450 pair) with the 2A3 single ended amp along with the Altec mid driver and horns and , you're right, it is incredibly smooth and natural...no a bit of edginess.

I have gone to great length to obtain the best sounding tubes as well.

Several others have ask for a larger picture of my speakers so I will add an attachment.

Al web site is:http://www.web-span.com/alk/klipsch.html

Hope this helps.

Mark

Personally, I would never try to "improve" the performance of my k-horns. At least in any way that would require any structural change. I have toyed with an idea I've seen on this bb, that of adding some damping material inside the midrange/tweeter cabinet. Can anyone comment on the audibility of that? Is it worth the effort?

As far as the mid and tweeter drivers, I would never change mine unless one quit. And then I'd want to go with a klipsch approved replacement.

I guess I consider my klipsch speakers to be audio holy ground - not to be defiled in any way! wink.gif

------------------

JDMcCall

Jim,

I too think that the Klipschorn are the holy grail of audio reproduction, but I also know too that manufacturers need to meet price points and therefore, in most cases, compromise, in the selection of components. I would be very interested in what Paul Klipsch would select as components for the Klipschorn under a "money is no object" approach. Would he still use the same drivers, horns, crossovers, etc. Maybe he would but I doubt it.

Many manufacturers like Welborne Labs encourages experimentation with their design. I think Paul would too.

I know what my ears tell me and the improvement made is very revealing and good. Look at all the feedback that have been provided on the ALK crossover. Can all these people be wrong...maybe.

Mark

I agree with all points. Especially the cost/performance angle. It's not that I think they can't be improved, just that for me maintaining the original look is very important. Just call me a purist. And to make a real improvement, as far as the drivers and crossover, is going to require some real money. But even I like hearing about and seeing modified klipsch speakers. To each his (or her) own!

------------------

JDMcCall

Your'e right, I could have made it two way but I wanted to maintain the integrity of the Kipschorn. I also think the sparkle would be lost without the tweeter. I also have a variety of the A7 and I think although the system reproduces bass transients like no other, especially bass drums, it doesn't have the sparkle of the Klipschorns, nor can the A7's maintain the tonal balance and harmony like the Klipschorns.

Each system has it's own stregths and weaknesses. I have yet to hear any speaker system that does everything well. I do think the compromises imposed on the klipschorns are less than most others.

Have fun listening.