burr brown

mopar dave

DAVE : my ss rotel 985 has dual burr brown plus the same in my rotel 991 cd player. I'm using digital out from the cd and letting the processor do the conversion.

I know it works nice but the rest is a mystery to me. lol

I'll find out with the tube gear ( if craig ever decides to give them up ) just how the cd dac works.

Burr-Brown are just high quality parts generally... their bad stuff is pretty good and their good stuff is good. Burr-Brown chips are recommended for the headphone amp designs I use (from Headwize). I have OPA2227P in my amp right now and will build an amp with the OPA627BP soon, if I ever get around to feeling like it. If it matters, they are part of Texas Instruments.

mopar,

It takes an electrical engineer with real expertise to comment with confidence. I do not qualify, but I will try anyway.

Burr-Brown has a reputation as the best it would seem. Everyone seems to be using the BBrown 1736 DS for DACs on better machines. Probably the best comment that I have heard is that the way that the DAC is actually used has a very lage impact on the final result.

For example, my prior receiver used Burr-Brown PCM 1704 DACs, their best at BB. The receiver was redesigned a year later but still uses the 1704 DACs. It sounds significantly better IMO. I strongly suspect they (Pioneer) improved their use of the DACS.

Give the Pioneer VSX49TXi a listen and you may hear the difference. In any case, let your ears decide.

Bill