MH or anyone else- turntable quiz!

anarchist

Thanks everyone for the thoughts on my Grandma; now, depression leads me to purchases - women like chocolate, I buy electronics or automobiles. So, ignoring that I have decided an Infiniti G35 Coupe is in my near future - Grandma always like sports cars; we drove across the country in my RX7 - I need advice, pros and cons, what have you, on selecting one of the following options.

1. Music Hall MMF7 ($849 or so)

2. Origin Ultra with Origin Live RB250 arm ($1K or so)

3. Rega Planar 2 with standard RB250 or a modified RB250. (whatever I managed to pick it up for.)

I am told the Ultra is basically a DIY LP12, the Music Hall is a better table than the Rega, and the RB250 arm is better than that on the Music Hall while the Origin Live RB250 is heaven sent.

Thoughts? Most importantly, are the differences audible enough to justify the difference in costs? How do any of these choices stack up against grabbing an old Thorens or Dual or Denon? Subtle or glaring?

Crash,

What is the high end on the dollars you will spend? How far up the vinyl playback quality chain do you wish to go?

If you want bang for your buck and not spend a lot, a used Rega P3 with RB300 arm is a good start at around $500

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?anlgtabl&1048561865

I you want to get more serious about the quality of the table, the motor etc, and willing to pay for it, a used Clearaudio Champion, Basis, or VPI table may be the ticket.

If you're willing to spring a bit more, see the latest issue of Stereophile for the article on the VPI Scout. Once your're in the ballpark with figures for the Scout, many, many, options open up.

BTW, my recs are assuming you want something of pretty recent production with fairly easy setup and maintenance.

Klipsch out.

I posted below in the wrong spot... It actually fits more here. Sorry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you are good with machines, dont mind learning to tweak a bit, and like some of the most musical sound you can get from vinyl, keep a lookout for a good condition mid-80s or so Linn LP-12 with the Valhalla board. This seems to me to be the best price/performance option in the Linn line.

Even a Linn LP-12 with the Basik Plus arm and a good cartridge is amazingly musical and very rewarding. I am going to start recommending it again based on my comparisons with other more modern options employing all the latest thoughts on analog retrival.

The Linn LP-12 can be a very fussy table and needs care in balancing the spring suspension. IF not balanced correctly, it just will not perform up to capability. When it IS balanced and firing on all cylinders, it is one of the most musical tables I have ever heard. It also needs a rigid, yet light weight stand, as it does not do well on high mass stands.

I have been amazed at how well my Linn has done in comparison with the mega-PE table I have, which reaches about $3800 without cartridge and including the Incognito RB-300 Rega. They have different sonics but the comparison has brought new found respect for my old Linn Sondek.

Jazman is right about the less hassle options. I just find the Linn an amazing step up from any of the sub 1k tables. But, like tube amps, it is a more hands on type of table.

kh

Hi guys,

Thanks for the answers so far. I love Keith's no-nonsense mannerisms and believe me Keith, I can relate. Here is the deal; I have this Technics SL-DL5 spinning my vinyl now and well, it is a record player. I am certain other options are much better. I thought about going vintage - thanks to my Eico - and getting a Dual or Thorens. There are dozens of models and its like ok, which one would be best and provide some flexibility. Looking at ebay, the ones in good condition often fetch hundreds. So I think, ok, if I am going to spend that much, would something new or slightly used (modern) be a better choice. The Regas get slammed everywhere for their plinths. The Music Hall is great only if it is a MM7 but the arm is still lame compared to a RB250. On and on it goes. The VPI - sweet but I think past my point of interest.

I think my high-end, unless it is a kit whereby I can stagger the funds is probably around $750. I have seen that I can grab the Rega P3 used for approximately $5 and change or the MM7 for approximately $6 and change. Which is the better option in your considered opinions? Of course, I worry quite a bit given Keiths comments, particularly when NOS says and I paraphrase - is it worth $800 compared to my previous table, no, would I give it up now, no." Where is the point of diminishing returns? That wasn't the best pitch for a $849 turntable I have heard. 1.gif

That all said, I want something to be proud of when I play it for friends AND I want something that will last a very long time AND I want something I can tinker around a bit with from time to time. :) Also, I am jonesing to restore my Eico (may call on NOS for this) and pick up a Basie to build and possibly grab a set of Billies while at it (or possibly try some SS monoblocks fed by the Basie) and grab the new DIY phono preamp from Bottlehead or the forthcoming one for Basie. Not too many wants, huh?

I suck at prioritizing or savings programs so while money is not really an issue, I would like to make the most of my purchases; that and I don't have the ADD of Dean so I am not inclined to turn over equipment on a daily basis searching for the next best thing. 9.gif

The Linn significantly betters the tables you are discussing in my view. And I dont agree that there is little difference but money in these tables. This is a challenging place to me as subtle differences that DO ultimately play a large roll in the outcome dont seem to strike home with a lot of people in here. It's been a frustrating ride more often than not. If you can hear the difference between going to better input tubes in your EICO HF-81 than you will be able to hear the difference between an adequate turntable and a great one. It is well worth it to me. The first time I had my Linn LP-12 going against my old tables I realized there was NO contest. It was that big a leap to me, much like a good tube amp to solid state. Then again, when I was first wandering these parts, that was a hard thing to sell as well.

kh

Kelly,

Want you to know your advice does not fall on deaf ears. I did check out Audiogon for LP12 Valhalla's. :) I am not buying a table tomorrow so I will keep browsing Audiogon but I am determined to have a new table sitting here before the end of March. LP12, MMF7, Rega, Thorens, I don't care but something is replacing this Technics. Damn, and I just realized I need a new CD source since you picked on my playstation. I am going to have to send the wife on a vacation and sneak all this stuff in.

PS. I didn't believe that tube nonsense either but I can tell the difference between Mullards and Ei's and I can distinguish between CD sources with my Eico as well: walkmans really suck, playstations are better, and PS2 rocks.

Crash,

This may be stating the obvious but be sure to leave enough money in your budget for a good cartridge. You are better off with a decent $500 deck and a $300 cartridge than you are with a fancier $700 deck and a $100 cartridge. Also, investing in a bubble level, a cartridge alignment tool, and a Shure stylus force gauge can go a long way in vinyl playback, proper setup can make a huge difference between mediochre and great sound. A test record with a grooveless section for checking anti-skating can be helpful, a lot of tonearms don't calibrate their built-in anti-skating settings very accurately. Properly set anti-skating really helps channel balance on the inner grooves of a LP.

I played a movie on my son's PS2 hooked up to my Mitsu WS55819.... the verdict? The PS2 is the worst DVD player I have every seen...although not nearly as noticable on a 27" tube...to be more specific it was notablly worse than my $150 old Toshiba on the big screen...especially using composit cables. Upgrading to component is a big improvement (sharpens the game display). Upgrading to a new $200 Progressive scan w/$30 component cable was a huge improvement. I'm now saving for a $1k or so SACD/DVD player...or waiting for more price drops.

If you like PS2 games...they are awesome on a Big Screen w/sound through the Cornwalls...compared to PS2 on a 27" tube.