Daughter Was Deployed Today

Gregorius

Well if you don't like the Soviet style, there's China, Cuba...choose your poison. And if you think Canada's socialized medical system is great, why do so many Canadians cross the border to get better and faster medical help? (Please, no offense to our Canadian friends...I'm married to one!) Haven't the economied of France and Germany been slidding downhill as they got progressively more socialized?

I will agree that pure capitalism will not work either...like I said, I am currently a victim of corporate greed and don't like it. But one must also see that bureaucratic (now I got the spelling right!) greed is more harmful. I can go work somewhere else, but uprooting and moving my family to another country is not feasable.

You know, you guys always say we need to get over Clintoon. It would sure be easier if he acted like a more responsible ex-president and kept his mouth shut! Here come the flames!6.gif

BTW, his crime, lieing under oath, was just that, a crime! Had the fool said the sexual business is none of our business, I would agree (though not appropriate behavior for a president). But 'ol Willie couldn't help himself and had to fib. That's what got him busted.

Yes, I want to St. Thomas Aquinas...I'll email you!

Mdennen:

"Conservative Philosophy today is essentially Fundamentalist. It is rooted in religious dogma. So that, the world is Good or Evil, Right or Wrong, With or Against, and of course Black and White, Christian God versus other gods. Conservative views are simplified to; welfare=bad; free trade=good; Saddam=Evil; French=Bad; Regulation=Bad; Taxes=Bad; Death Penalty=Good, Science=Evil, and well, you get the point. This means, any view can be expressed in 5 seconds to it's full and complete depth. No ifs ands or butts required."

Your attempt to categortize demonstrates one of the fundamental failings of liberals: everyone must be put in a labled box and be dealt with on the basis of the label. The meaning of the label is defined by the liberal, and can be entirely subjective and flexible, stretching as needed to fit any context.

I think you need to define your terms, specifically "Fundamentalism". As you use it, it seems to me that "fundamentalist" views are not exclusive to the right. Ask your average environmentalist or animal rights activist. I think you'll find the same type of dogmatic views: Factory = Bad, Fur trading = Bad, Kyoto Treaty = Good, Conservative = Bad, Smoker = Bad, Bush = Bad.

mdeneen:

The word "fundamentalism" does not need to be defined. Your misapplication of it does. I think the word you're reaching for is "theocracy". Fundamentalism refers to the belief that every word in the bible is the spoken word of God and therefore is true. "Theocracy" more closely matches your definition above.

There is no theocracy in the United States. There may be a President in the Oval Office who has a moral/religious foundation (Horrors!). However, we are far from aligning as a society to his religious beliefs, and there is no threat of force to do so, as is present in many historical and current theocracies.

" Mr.Bush believes his God has blessed America and handed down a Christian Morality which is to guide not only the American life, but to function as a pretext to enforce it on all other cultures of the world. And so, if it isn't obvious yet, our administration view on abortion, death penalty, science, education and such is entirely based on this God given Morality. Ashcroft is wanting to teach Creation dogma in public school. The Bush administration is categorically identical to the Taliban, or any other fundamentalist regime. They seek to rule the people through application of their "brand" of Morality."

You've GOT to be kidding me! If this is truly the view you have of the country you live in, you've got some serious issues. First, if this administration is truly "categorically identical to the Taliban", you'd probably be in the process of being hauled away to a prison camp, or dead, for making the statement that you made above. Woman in this country would be traated as nothing more than a subset of male sexual desire, rather than holding key posts in the administration. Infidels (whoever the theocratic decided to attach that label to) would be arrested and detained, and many killed while in custody. Finally, if you're accurate in your description of the Bush administration, please point out for me where I can find the Bush administration's equivalent of The Ministry for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice, which polices and strictly enforces the Taliban's Islamic law. Punishments, by the way, include stoning, public beatings, amputations or executions for even minor infractions.

" Here's the test: Take any of the administration's key positions, like Iraq, and make the case without referring to God, the Bible, Jesus, Morality, Evil, Moral Imperative."

OK, I'll bite: the Bush tax cuts. If this were truly a President governed exclusively by "religious dogma" as you state, then he would be guided by the New Testement observation: "The poor will always be with us", and "The first will be last and the last will be first". Instead, as I'm sure that the Left would agree, he is being selfish and giving tax breaks to the rich at the expense of the poor and middle class. Taking from the "have-nots" and giving to the "haves". Of course, I disagree that tax reductions would exclusively benefit the wealthy, but the Left swears that the Bush tax cuts are immoral and unjust. So, which Bush would you have us believe in: the God-driven or the God-less?

Its pretty tough to call "a spade a spade" when we can't agree on what reality is. In your reality, you live in a country where "the State has a right to kill you". I live in a country where the state cannot remove your rights, including right to life, without due process, which includes a trial by a jury of your peers. You live in a country where the "State owns your life, not you." I live in a coutry where the government is charged with protecting all of its citizens, including those who might not have a voice of their own.

In my country, the McCarthy era was in the 1950's. In your country, apparently the McCarthy era occurred during the 1860's, which was when the term "In God We Trust" was originally placed on U.S. Currency, and has appeared on various U.S coins and bills since that time. There was a Joint Resolution of Congress in 1956, signed by the President, adopting "In God We Trust" as the motto of the United States. The US Senate that year consisted of 48 Democrats and 47 Republicans, and the House consisted of 232 Democrats and 202 Republicans. Looks like those God - fearing liberal Democrats couldn't wait to shove "God" in our face.

I have to ask, what country DO you live in anyway, mdeneen? 2.gif

Whell,

Class of 1983

BSPE minor Computer Science

T Brenean,

Sorry I cannot relate to sleeping around on your wife is OK. It is the epitome of zero character. If you want to sleep around get a divorce.

And a 50 year old man soliciting sex from a 20 year old girl(I never met a grown woman of 20) is manipulative and evil.

Enjoy voting for Hillary in 2008.

Flynn---Wait until you're 50, then we'll see what you think of having 20 year old women. Yeah, women, not girls, for women they are regardless of what you think. Maybe the strumpets at MSU are just girls but I've seen plenty of women in Urbana, Madison and Ann Arbor. :-)

Remember George Perles? He used to be my neighbor when I was a kid, he gave me an autographed photo of Duffy Dougherty.

"Due process may provide legal cover for executions, but then why is it not offered to the terminally ill as a way to achieve their final justice?"

I don't even think radical lefty Geoffrey Feiger would describe due process as "legal cover" for executions. And while the state "prohibits" assisted suicide, there is no one I know who couldn't "off" themselves if they really wanted to. Even someone physically incapacitated can choose not to take nourishment. There are also "Do Not Resusitate" (DNR) orders that I can attach to my medical record. I don't think that the citizens of the various 50 states want to see their states become a magnet for the Dr. "Dripper" Kervorkian types who might want to set up shop, this the various state referendums, supported by majority vote in the states that they were held, where the citizens elected not to allow assisted suicide.

I feel I would have complete control over any desire I might have to take my own life, but thanks for caring. 1.gif

Gregerous,

I wish your daughter, your family and her husband the best of luck. I can only imagine how difficult it must be to deal with that. My children are still very young and though I am proud of our military as I once was in the Navy myself, I can only hope my children never join.

Kind cool (meaning funny !!) email I recieved this morning

Does Anyone remember this??

It was 1987! At a lecture the other day they were playing an old news video of Lt.Col. Oliver North testifying at the Iran-Contra hearings during the Reagan Administration.

There was Ollie in front of God and country getting the third degree, but what he said was stunning!

He was being drilled by a senator; "Did you not recently spend close to $60,000 for a home security system?"

Ollie replied, "Yes, I did, Sir."

The senator continued, trying to get a laugh out of the audience, "Isn't that just a little excessive?"

"No, sir," continued Ollie.

"No? And why not?" the senator asked.

"Because the lives of my family and I were threatened, sir."

"Threatened? By whom?" the senator questioned.

"By a terrorist, sir" Ollie answered.

"Terrorist? What terrorist could possibly scare you that much?"

"His name is Osama bin Laden, sir" Ollie replied.

At this point the senator tried to repeat the name, but couldn't pronounce it, which most people back then probably couldn't. A couple of people laughed at the attempt. Then the senator continued. Why are you so afraid of this man?" the senator asked.

"Because, sir, he is the most evil person alive that I know of", Ollie answered.

"And what do you recommend we do about him?" asked the senator.

"Well, sir, if it was up to me, I would recommend that an assassin team be formed to eliminate him and his men from the face of the earth."

The senator disagreed with this approach, and that was all that was shown of the clip.

By the way, that senator was Al Gore

Also:

Terrorist pilot Mohammad Atta blew up a bus in Israel in 1986. The Israelis captured, tried and imprisoned him. As part of the Oslo agreement with the Palestinians in 1993, Israel had to agree to release so-called "political prisoners."

However, the Israelis would not release any with blood on their hands, The American President at the time, Bill Clinton, and his Secretary of State, Warren Christopher, "insisted" that all prisoners be released.

Thus Mohammad Atta was freed and eventually thanked the US by flying an airplane into Tower One of the World Trade Center. This was reported by many of the American TV networks at the time that the terrorists were first identified. It was censored in the US from all later reports.

If you agree that the American public must be made aware of this fact, pass this on.