INFINITY SPEAKERS

TPK

WHAT DO YOU GUY'S THINK ABOUT THE INFINITY ALPHA SERIES SPEAKERS? I HAVE A HK AVR 525 AND AM LOOKING AT INFINITY ALPHA 40'S OR 50'S FOR THE FRONTS, ALPHA 25ES REARS, AND ALPHA 37C CENTER CHANNEL.

I ALSO LIKE THE INFINITY MODULAS PACKAGE.

DO ANY OF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCES WITH EITHER ONE OF THESE PACKAGES? TORN ON WHICH WAY TO GO. I WANT IT MOSTLY FOR HOME THEATURE, BUT ALSO LIKE MUSIC. WHICH SETUP WOULD BE THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS?

I KNOW THIS IS A KLIPSCH WEBSITE FORUM, BUT ANY OPINION WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Let me be myself and tell it like it is.

Unless you are looking(listening)to Infinity's high end(Intermezzo and Prelude)the lower end is very oredinary.

The cabinets are cheapo,the drivers also low quality.Dont be fooled by the looks,inspect these well.

Klipsch R series whip Infinity in the same price range.

• Like 1

----------------

On 2/14/2003 3:12:44 PM TPK wrote:

What do you guy's think about the Infinity Alpha series speakers? I have an H/K AVR-525 and am looking at Infinity Alpha 40's or 50's for the fronts, Alpha 25s rears, and Alpha 37c center channel.

----------------

Yes, please lay off the caps. It is ANNOYING! Noticed I edited the quote to be more readable!

About the Infinity speakers. The only real expeirence I have with Infinity is the pair of thier Reference RS2000.5s that I have (about 1996). At the time and for the money that I had, I found them to be good speakers, at least to me, better than others that I had listened to in the same price range that I had access to (Had they been available to me, I probably would have gotten Klipsch SF-2s or something similiar that were about the same price). However, as others have said, those Klipsch RF-7s I have will stomp those Infinity speakers into kindling wood! Yes, this is a Klipsch forum and don't be surprised that others will recommend Klipsch. Of course, the best thing to do is actually seek out a dealer that has those speakers you are interested in and actually listen to them. Also, if possible, listen to others within the same price range, i.e., Klipsch, Polk, Paradigm, Boston Acoustic, to name a few. But, for the love of God, please, Please, stay away from Bose!

LIKE OTHERS HAVE SAID...LISTEN, AND LET YOUR EARS BE THE JUDGE! I'M NOT FAMILIAR WITH INFINITY'S LATEST...I KNOW THEIR REFERENCE STANDARD SERIES OF 1984 WAS THEIR BEST AT THE TIME, WITH THEIR EMIT AND EMIM PLANAR DRIVERS AND POLYPROPYLENE CONES. THEIR IIAs WERE EXCELLENT LOUDSPEAKERS, BUT OUT OF MY PRICE RANGE, SO I BOUGHT A PAIR OF JBL L112 CENTURY II MONITORS INSTEAD (WHICH SOUNDED VERY SIMILAR BUT WITH LESS BASS).

...Oops, sorry!6.gif

• 13 years later...

I know this is a very old thread, however Klipsch friends, I've come to a WAF impasse.  I took a trip to Jacksonville Fl. and picked up two pair of Infinity Overture 1's.  The next day, I hooked them up, performed some measurements, and then used Mathaudio vst in JRiver as my only eq.  I was very surprised at their performance.  My wife came up to the listening room and stated "All of that is coming out of those little speakers?!"  I told her "Yes, but I'm, not giving up my Cornwalls"! She then replied "They're giving your Corns a run for their money"! 

I purchased those Overture 1's for a song - and said the only way I might even consider replacing the Corns is if I could get Preludes for a similar type song - and even then it wouldn't be certain. I worked and searched long and hard to get the Cornwalls that I have. Fate would have it....I now have a pair of Preludes (the original ones with the 96db sensitivity rating).  They haven't arrived yet, but like Q-bert said in Pixels "I don't know, but I'm scared"! 

The Compositions series (Overtures and Preludes) are horn loaded only in the treble (horn waveguide).  I must admit they did sound great and coupled with my subwoofers...it sounds fantastic!!!! I've got my heels dug in on my Corns, but I would gain quite a bit of space with the Preludes seeing that they are less than a foot wide. 

I'm asking my Klipsch brethren that have had experiences with the Preludes how the Corns would compare.  I'm going to do my own listening test when they get here and trust my own ears, but I'd like to know your opinions.  

I'm also thinking that the benefit of DSP Equalization has placed a lot of good speakers on an even playing level. Corey Greenburg once called the Overtures "unlistenable" - but that was during a time of no DSP equalization either. I've had people say my Cornwalls don't sound like what they've said traditional Klipsch sound like - they say the "harshness" is tamed, they're still very lively - but the very thing that people complain about is gone. I'm wondering what the Preludes will sound like in my room, let alone compared to my wonderful Cornwalls! 

Edited by prerich

I really enjoy Infinity speakers. Even the latest offerings sound very good and punch way above their price dictates. Stereophile had the Alpha series rated as a best buy. Most Infinity speakers are more subdued than Klipsch, as the horns are much more direct but there are many Infinity that can give them a go. What ever pleases your ears, I say give it a go. Even more so if you can find them on the cheap. 

445a7a537df396fadf1b9d02c2c7aa19.jpg

Along with the KHorns, these Infinity rank as my favorite speakers.

Tim

Edited by teaman
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, the verdict is in....the Preludes beat my Cornwalls....but not by much!  My modded Cornwalls are much more efficient (the new crossovers took them to 4 ohms speakers). However, the Preludes just image much better than my Cornwalls....the soundstage is just as wide and the Preludes front to back soundstage is bigger as well.  I'm not selling the Cornwalls though, I'm going to keep them! The Preludes are no longer made, and parts are hard to come by. The Cornwalls (well most of the Heritage series can be included in this), however are the Harley Davidson of the speaker world!  You can mod them to death, take them back to stock, and there are plenty of parts made for them!!!! I think I now have the best of both worlds with these two sets of speakers. However - I will need to change my signature, as the Preludes have taken center stage. I'm still a Klipsch head though!!!! If I only had a big enough room.....and corners...........

3 hours ago, prerich said:

I think I now have the best of both worlds with these two sets of speakers. However - I will need to change my signature, as the Preludes have taken center stage. I'm still a Klipsch head though!!!! If I only had a big enough room.....and corners...........

LOL!  I would guess that most of us have OTK speakers - Other Than Klipsch.  I have some DIY speakers I enjoy very much and are comparable to the Klipsch.  I mix and match all the time, although I fully admit I have not done as much of that since I got the Khorns! 

They are a little difficult to throw into different rooms on a whim at a moment's notice.  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

LOL!  I would guess that most of us have OTK speakers - Other Than Klipsch.  I have some DIY speakers I enjoy very much and are comparable to the Klipsch.  I mix and match all the time, although I fully admit I have not done as much of that since I got the Khorns! 

They are a little difficult to throw into different rooms on a whim at a moment's notice.  :rolleyes:

Speakers other than Klipsch??? You must all be banned! :P

Maybe the new member needs to type in caps to see his content? Pretty obvious he is not yelling about anything.

If you like the sound the Infinity speakers produce, thats is all that matters.  Lots of good non-horns brands out there.  

That's the one thing....The Prelude have a horn like tweeter (actually a wave guide).  As I've had a time to listen even further over the weekend....I think I've reached the point of diminishing returns (finally).  My beloved Cornwalls can do some things better than the Preludes!!!! That's why I'm not getting rid of them ... at all. I think this effectively ends my speaker journey as I can't see the point of throwing more money at minor improvements. The depth was a major improvement, however my Cornwall's mated with the Fostex super-tweeters - had a top end resolution that the Preludes can't match.   The Preludes give me feet of living space back, the Cornwalls have better dynamics (even though the Preludes dynamics  are great as well - If I would describe their dynamics - it would be more like my Heresy...but a little better, the Cornwalls dyanmics are better than both).  

It's a compromise - but as I do not wish to sell my Cornwalls....I refuse to compromise!!!! If I ever get tired of the Prelude sound....out come the Cornwalls :D!!!!! I think I now have the best of both worlds.  If my room was bigger - no telling....If I had corner...Khorns, but I'm not moving anytime soon. Life is good with both the Cornwalls and the Infinity's!!!! 

By the way ....the aquisition of the Infinity speakers gives me two complete surround systems (speakers) for my sons if I pass away before them :)!!! They both have receivers and one has a complete surround system (the other lost one pair of my Heresy speakers when he moved to Portland :( ). One has Def Tech and the other is restarting with a two channel system (but has a surround sound receiver and a dac that I bought him for his birthday).  This way there's no fighting over who gets the system (my daughter doesn't need one....got my son-in-law a system for his birthday a few years ago - and its not a HTIB system either, they're good)!