Big Screen TV

TKA

TKA, I bought a 53" Sony XBR years ago.Needs an alignment right now but other than that it

has been a great TV.I owned every other brand

for years and have owned three Sony's.I do not intend to buy anything else(maybe Hitachi).After you've had the large screen there's no going back!Good luck,

Keith

Some people are STUCK on a brand name or image while foresaking all else. I know people who refuse to purchase anything but Chevrolet vehicles. For some reason the name means it all........DUH remember the Vega! smile.gif

Now I certainly don't want to suggest that Sony is a bad TV. They make some fine products and for all intents and purposes rule the tube TV market (and have for decades). Having said that, don't buy a Sony just because it's a Sony.

Hitachi dominates the RPTV market similar to how Sony dominates the tube market. I've also seen glowing testimonials on Toshiba RPTV as well as Panasonic.

My personal experience lead me to purchase the Hitachi 53SBX59B. The alignment problem that TalkToKeith has on his Sony is a non-issue with Hitachi's "Magic Focus" feature. Click a button and sit back and watch it "do it's thing". It works absolutely perfectly without fail.

Not only does it (IMO) surpass any analogue RPTV on the market, but it does it at a fraction of the $3300 your looking at for the Sony. You should attempt to view them side by side and remember that a proper setup will effect the picture in a big way. Hopefully the shop your at will have them both "properly" setup and ideally you could experiment with the settings as everyone has their own preferences for brightness, colour etc..

The Hitachi has an unbelievable picture and the 3D comb filter does a GREAT job on even "regular cable" signals. Add to that 60 watts of audio power (with built-in surround sound) and the best lamps in the market. I understand Hitachi supplies most other manufacturers with lamps. Do you think they might keep the best ones for themselves?? Hmmmm.

Stu,you are absolutely correct.Sony pretty well rules the market.As I stated earlier I looked at the Hitachi as well as the Sony and

I bought the better TV.I bought it in 1995 so I sure by now the Sony's REALLY blow the Hitachi's away.Thinking about buying a smaller cheap tv now so I'm sure I'll be looking at the Hitachi's,Samsung's,etc.

BTW,I bought a Sony 27" console in 1990 and have never had a moments problem with it.The picture today is still amazing.Also have a 20" Sony.Same service as above.I'm not stuck on any brand.I just simply buy the highest quality products that my money will buy.It just so happens that none of them are a Hitachi. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Keith

Thanks for the replies.

This Set is for my Mother and Father in law.

I have a 50 in Hitachi that came with this house and it is getting old but still works pretty well. I have big Sony tube sets and like them fine (heavy if you ever have to carry them).

What I need to know is if the 53xbr is current as far as digital and whatever else is going to be coming in the next 5 years.

I agree with your feelings that the Sonys own the tube market and I have always heard the Hitachis are good projection TVs and I will do the comparision.

TKA

If your looking at spending $4,500 on the 53" Sony that keith suggests, why not add another 10% and be TRULY satisfied! smile.gif BTW this is Hitachi's 1999 model. The 2001 model has improved. It's HDTV with 16:9 ratio. The Sony, although nice, simply can't compare.

http://www.hitachi.com/products/consumer/audiovisual/digitaltv/dtvhdtv/halp-ZZZRAZ0Z5YB.html